Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road Bikes
Quote | Reply
Hello gals!
I know this is a women's forum, but I am looking for a beginner road bike for my girlfriend.
She's a small girl (5'1") and a strong runner.
Since her and I started dating, she's been very supportive of my triathlons. With her support, the sport has rubbed on her and she's looking to do a duathlon this season.
Tammy, my girlfriend, has always road a bike, but not a road but, so I'm looking for something that she can start with.
Her birthday is coming up, and I really want to get her a nice beginner road bike. I've gotten her measured and she's very close to a 47cm frame set.
She likes two bikes right now. Trek 1.2 WSD and 2.1 WSD. Is there any other really nice beginner bikes out there?
If it helps any, my price limit is $1,100.
Have a great day, everyone!

-Christian

------------------------------------------------------

I hate looking like I'm 12 and being in the 20 year old age group...
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bikes [Malhou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That really is quite small. I'm thinking perhaps a sloping geometry build by Giant or Planet X perhaps?

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/?page_id=1049

However - If she likes the bike (the Treks pretty colours etc) she'll be more likely to ride it regardless of the great deal you could get on something else.

"Here's how you run a marathon. Step 1: You start running. Step 2: There is no step 2." - Barney (How I Met Your Mother)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello.. I am all of 5 feet tall and I LOVED my trek.. it was orange *sigh* but I am LOVING my Specialized Dolce Elite which I got last year. Not a really high end bike compared to what is available, but had everything I needed for know and fits my smaller frame. :) Plus the pearl white is very pretty!

Susan
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bikes [f2brw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Specialized makes a nicely fit bike, if you can possibly find a 2008 Ruby it is a real nice road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bikes [steveandbarb1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Trek WSD bike from last year and love it! Though...it is kind of heavy and cheap components. I am currently purchasing a custom road bike (42 cm). I looked at getting a Cannondale, Specialized or an Quintana Roo in my size. Otherwise it was tough for me to find a small road bike so I went custom. My top tube is 47 cm as well but standover height is smaller for me. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 5'1" I'd recommend trying one of the Women's specific bikes from Trek, Specialized, or Orbea (Orbea Dama line are the women's bikes). I have the Orbea Diva and absolutely love it! It fits me better then any other road bike I've had because I have such a short torso; however, I'm not sure any of the Orbeas fit the price range you are looking for ... BUT if you know the size you can sometimes get lucky on ebay. You can't really go wrong with any of those 3 ... I'd have her try them all to see what fits best since it really comes down to what fits her best and what she finds most comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bikes [little red] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got her on some bikes the other day for fitting purposes and to see what was out there for women.
I live in Winchester, VA. There are three bike shops here. Black Bar Bicycles, Element Sports, and Blue Ridge Bicycles.
Combined, here is the brands of bicycles I can get is: Specialized, Trek, Giant, Cannodale, Bianchi, Pinarello, Jamis, and Parlee.
I'm about 45 minutes away from DC Metro area, so there is more out there, but I'd rather stay local so I can get my discounts. :]

Here are the bikes she likes: Trek 2.1, Trek 1.2, Giant Avail 1, this Bianchi the bike shop (it's purple and about a year old), and Specialized Dolce Comp.
I have a month to find the right bike for her, so I'll keep looking. :]

------------------------------------------------------

I hate looking like I'm 12 and being in the 20 year old age group...
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bikes [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have a Trek WSD bike from last year and love it! Though...it is kind of heavy and cheap components. I am currently purchasing a custom road bike (42 cm). I looked at getting a Cannondale, Specialized or an Quintana Roo in my size. Otherwise it was tough for me to find a small road bike so I went custom. My top tube is 47 cm as well but standover height is smaller for me. Good luck.
I also have a Trek WSD and had a custom built bike in Australia, may I ask you who is building your bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a good resource if you're interested in "smallgirl bike fit" (as she puts it):
http://www.kerry-litka.com/main/wordpress/
Quote Reply