Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Timex GPS
Quote | Reply
Timex GPS users how do you like the unit? How has it benefited your training? Thanks for the feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: Timex GPS [mb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried it out for a couple of rides, works well but a cyclocomputer gives quicker feedback, dropped sinc with the reciever a couple of times too, a good product overall for it's intended purpose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
first of all, this thing in my opinion isnt a bike computer nor should it be bought with that purpose---unless you own a battery store or make your batteries in your garage.

I like to call this thing my running computer. It is highly accurate, its is fairly immediate (if you have the display on min/mile pace it refreshes every 6 secs, so there is a slight delay). The receiver is a bit bulky but not cumbersome or horrible---although in 5 yrs it'll probably be a joke that we had to strap this 4x5 inch receiver onto our arm.

I use this thing in 3 ways. First, if i want to measure a course around my neighborhood and i think its 4 miles but i want to be sure. Second, I'll measure out like a 1/2 mile to do repeats on/interval work. Third, if im on a long run, I'll set the watch to beep every mile and I'll look down to see what my mile split was each mile. Also, I would you use this on a 1/2 marathon or full marathon where the course wasnt fully marked.

I'm planning on taking it with me to my Wildflower training wkd and discretely marking the run course--cause i hate how that course isnt marked consistantly.

The downsides? Battery life, the receiver, it doesnt have a HR monitor---so if you wanna measure HR too you gotta load yourself up with 2 watches a HR strap and a GPS receiver (I've never worn both)

But lastly, the watch itself is a great watch and it has definetly replaced my other Ironman Timex watch.

I'd recommend it.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Works great. Very accurate. Battery life as mentioned above is a concern. You will go through a lot of batteries. Also doesn't work great if you are in an area with a lot of trees. The manual says it needs a straight shot to the sky. Even if you are running right next to very tall trees, it could be a factor.

I do miss that it doesn't have a heart rate monitor.

I use it for long runs so that I don't have to run a predetermined route, just take off and it tracks how far. Also for always knowing my real pace, especially at the end of runs where I tend to slow down.

Marcel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been using it for about 6 months.

Very Good product...Extremely accurate. I measured it against both rolotape measured distances and State Hwy. dept. surveyed distances. It was amazingly accurate. Without looking at my logs, the accuracy was within inches to a 1 ft. on a 1 mile level course. And within a few feet for a 5k course or a 20k bike course. In fact, sometimes it was spot on.

It's easy to use and does as advertised.

If they add a waterproof HRM (which from what I have heard/read should be within a yr.), it could become THE bench mark of what a totally inclusive training wireless deviced should be. I don't use a cyclo-computer any more. It's more accurate than my Polar wireless and has few problems.

The downside to the device is that it doesn't have a low battery warning. I get an average battery life of about 6 hrs. per set. The accuracy degrades as the battery life shortens. There has been more than one time when the batteries have gone dead on a long bike ride. It is kind of a pain to wait for the sattelites to sync with the device before you run, bike, kayak, row, rollerblade or what ever. I've found a solution to this time consuming (albeit about 2-3 mins.) wait by taking it outside while I'm getting ready and allowing it to sync.

Also, I have read claims that it is not very accurate. These claims are fall into two categories:

1) they live in the southern hemisphere - specifically australia and NZ. Why? ...don't know...but, could be a sattelite issue.

2) they live in mountainous areas. The reason for this is simple. Distance by the Timex S+D is calibrated linearly...it doesn't take into consideration altitude changes. Significant changes in altitude can make the device less accurate - specially if your course is a loop. However, (IMHO) it is still the best universally useful distance determining device on the market.

Outside of those few weaknesses, the Timex S+D is good. It's pacing option is a very good training tool. However, I think it's just nice to know you have to go to a premeasured course every time you train. It gives you freedom to "just go".

I currently use a Polar and Timex S+D at the same time. Comparitively, I think the Timex is a better product - if it had a good HRM I'd ditch the Polar and simplify my tri-life.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got one for Xmas and love it. It's casued me to think about training a bit differently, for example - on the bike everyone is very interested now in tracking watts (as opposed to HR) b/c HR can vary a lot and watts are constant, etc. So, for running, why not focus on something a bit more concrete, like pace (which this unit give obv.) You have to do some homework I think to figure out what pace corresponds to your AVERAGE aerobic heartrate and get the numbers/math correct, but I for one don't race an IM or a plain marathon on HR, I race it on pace/PE. Why not train the same way? Just my $0.02.

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Timex SDM and a Timex heart rate monitor. I actually like that they are separate units. I have put them both on the same strap. By having one watch face on the top of the wrist and the other on the bottom the display is large enough to read HR, pace, split time and total time while running. With everything in one unit It would be difficult to make the display large enough to read.

I agree with all the comments regarding accuracy. I previously had the Nike SDM and found it less accurate even after calibrating it. The Nike kept turning itself off during long runs so was of little use on long runs.
Quote Reply
Re: Timex GPS [Brent F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know everyone gripes about the battery life. What size batteries does the unit take? Will it run on NiMH or NiCads?

Thanks,

Richard
Quote Reply
You might also look at the Fit Sense. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might also look at http://www.fitsense.com

It is definitely not anywhere near as accurate in the open on flat terrain as a GPS system, and it can get a little confused if you use different gaits during your run. If you are very slow like me, it sometimes gets confused about whether you are walking or running, which throws its calculations off. However, unlike the GPS system your batteries will easily last a whole IM race, it works in the woods, and it has an integrated HR monitor.

If you buy direct, they have a 30 day money back, so you only risk shipping.

-Bill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just map out the route in my car to get the distance, I know this isn't as accurate, but it does give a close approximation of distance. I usually go on predetermined routes, but when I make new routes while running, I just rember where I went and then go drive around to find the mileage.

I just use a regular stop watch to record my time, I start it, and toss it to the ground in my yard when I leave. This records the full time I'm out. Sure, I don't get Mile Splits, but I can get the total time, and thus my pace. Also It is useless if I stop before I finish the loop. Total Cost: $3.50.
Quote Reply
Re: Timex GPS [R Isgrigg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It takes three AAAs. I use rechargeable NiMHs, and get about 8-10 hours out of each charge. I have to remember to change them before they die, though, because it really sucks to have them die mid-run.
Quote Reply