Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

natural sports drink
Quote | Reply
Now that I took all HFCS and artificial sweeteners/chemicals out of my diet, Gatorade just does not appeal to me anymore. I used to drink G-2 (it has Splenda). I want to find a natural sports drink.

I am going to try coconut water, with salt tablets as needed. Has anyone tried this? Or, do you have another idea for something else that is natural and not so chemical-y, if you know what I mean?

My "A" event in '09 is going to be a 50-mile run (I hope) so I am going to need something that can get me through the long haul since I am looking at a lot of running miles coming my way.

-sarah
Quote Reply
Re: natural sports drink [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mix half juice/water and add a bit of salt...to taste....jsut enough so it doesnt taste salty. I have done many long runs and rides on this. Also a good sports drink is some honey or maple syrup and lemon mixed in water with a little salt (to taste, maybe more if hot out)...
Most of the time I make my own but like the convenience of being able to buy a bottle here and there and I use gatorade during races. For some reason, the powdered gatorade does not contain HFCS so I still buy that sometimes. I wonder when/if gatorade will ever 'wake up' and realise many athletes do NOT want to consume HFCS or all those artificial colours? I think this may be as most of the people who drink gatorade don't actually NEED to...ie, they aren't working out over an hour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine makes his own but I am not exactly sure what he puts in it. I know he had one at the pool in the morning that was apple-cinnamonyy and the cinnamon smell was soooo icky to me.

I recall a make-your-own-sports-drink recipe that was something to the effect of a little bit of juice, lots of water, a bit of salt. Seriously - all you're looking for is some CHO and electrolytes.

If it is a 50 mi run you are training for, talk to JenHS --- I think ultrarunners eat a lot of REAL FOOD like boiled potatoes (chips, candy, other "real food" LOL) --- just sports drink is NOT enough calories to get you through a race like that or the training for it.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: natural sports drink [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You think Jen eats a lot of "real" food? Do you not read her blog? :P

Quote | Reply
I meant during running ;-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stand by my original statement :D hahahaha

And in total hijack mode... my mom said that I received a "very interesting looking letter in the mail" today. Gonna pick it up tonight. Thanks!!!!

Quote | Reply
Interesting looking! You're the one with the funny looking addresses, not me.

love from, the Maine Province.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A buddy of mine used to brew his own with honey, kosher salt and a little lemon. He had to boil the water to supersaturate it with enough honey to make an effective beverage (caloric density), and the lemon cut the sweetness "somewhat" - while he liked it I never found it palatable. I didn't mind the salt, it was just too sweet for my liking.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use water and salt tabs. Or sometimes will use nuun. I get my calories from other sources than what I hydrate with.

I've heard coconut water will cause digestive issues. I use in my recovery shakes but never when I workout...I can't stand the taste of it straight up...though with some Vodka it might work :-)

Check out the book by Brendan Frazier (not sure if that's how to spell his name). He has some recipes for natural drinks.

My local health food store has an organic no HFCS sports drink and it is AWFUL!
Quote Reply
Re: natural sports drink [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Close. Last name with a B.
http://www.brendanbrazier.com

I'll look for the book.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try coconut water and report back. They did not have it at TJ's when I was there yesterday so I'll check WF next time I'm there. I'll just get one small container in case I wind up mixing it with vodka! :)

I've been using vitamin water and I tolerate that better than Gatorade. I'll try fruit juice + water + a little salt. That's so obvious I didn't think of it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brendan brazier....the thrive diet
has great receipes for gels and sports drinks.

sports drink:
juice from 1 lemon (or to taste)
2 cups coconut water
1tbsp agave nectar
1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
sea salt to taste
blend all stuff together
keeps in fridge for 2 week

aprox: 1228mg potasium
110 cal
41mg magnesium
60mg sodium
23mg carbs
very yummy!!
Quote Reply
Re: natural sports drink [triandtri again] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I just got some coconut water from WF today. I'll try it plain (just to see) and then make this with the rest and take with me to my 2-hour spin class and see what happens. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
aprox: 1228mg potasium
110 cal
41mg magnesium
60mg sodium
23mg carbs
very yummy!!
Whoa... isn't that a bit high on the pottasium?

Quote | Reply
from what i've read potassium helps to reduce muscle fatigue, decrease muscle cramping, increase indurance, decrease the feeling of abdominal fullness and help with rapid hydration..but you are right, it is alot of potassium, and if you had high blood pressure or kidney problems this would not be the drink for you....
if you wanted to use coconut water and were not sure about it, probably best to talk to your dr or a dietician.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cytosport makes cytomax in natural, three flavors. it's very good!

no artificial sweetners or colors or HFCS.
Quote Reply
Re: natural sports drink [thejoey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regular Cytomax Ingredients :
CytoSport's unique complex carbohydrate blend including amylopectin starches and maltodextrins, crystalline fructose, dextrose, alpha-L-Polylactate™ (our patented L-lactate formulation containing non-acidic L-lactate ionically bound to L-arginine), citric acid, natural and artificial flavor, beta carotene, guarana (paullinia cupana) seed extract, sodium citrate, potassium citrate, magnesium oxide, dicalcium phosphate, acesulfame potassium, ascorbic acid, l-alanine, l-glutamine, rutin, quercetin, ginseng, guar gum, xanthan gum, lemon bioflavonoid, chromium nicotinate, magnesium succinate, potassium succinate, calcium succinate.

Natural Cytomax Ingredients
Cytosport's Unique Complex Carbohydrate Blend Including Amylopectin Starches And, Maltodextrins, Crystalline Fructose, Dextrose, Alpha-L-Polylactate (Our Patented L-Lactate Formulation Containing Non-Acidic L-Lactate Ionically Bound To L-Arginine), Citric Acid, Natural Flavor, Sodium Citrate, Malic Acid, Potassium Citrate, Ascorbic Acid, L-Alanine, Glutamine, Acesulfame Potassium, Caramel Color, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Magnesium Oxide, Chromium Nicotinate, Monopotassium Phosphate, Di-Calcium Phosphate, Magnesium Succinate, Potassium Succinate, Calcium Succinate.,

The main difference seems to be natural flavor vs natural + artificial flavor??? Both have Acesulfame Potassium, artificial sweetener, which is off the menu for me. Interesting suggestion -- I never would have thought to do the side-by-side comparison otherwise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i just check my product label. there is 'no' acesulfame potassium in the natural cytomax! it is all natural. it must be a miss print.

they couldn't call it natural with that ingredient. aceculfame potassium is also aspertame, which has that funky aftertaste. there is no aftertaste with the natural cytomax.

SO, you still can use cytosport natural.

i'm a holistic nutritionists. believe me, i've done my homework to find 'clean' products.
Quote Reply
Re: natural sports drink [thejoey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I will have to read the label on the product directly. I googled it this morning and that's what I got -- once again, the internet is not a reliable place for info. They carry Cytomax at my LBS. I'll check to see if they have the natural version.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This drink has a really, really low sodium content. Most athletes need about 5-7 times more salt/sodium per hour than what's in this drink.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just read through this.

Yes, most ultra runners will use solid food. A wide variety of stuff is usually ad aid stations from salted potatoes, pretzels, PB&J sandwiches. At some 100 milers they will serve soup, full sandwiches and some have been known to bar-b-que. It takes some time to build up your stomach to be able to tolerate it but I'm getting more and more used to it.

I drink Accelerade sometimes. The protein seems to make my stomach settled. I use Perpetuem when I'm doing long rides for the same reason. Accel Gel is my preferred gel.

Mostly I run with water, salt tabs and snacks. Those vary depending on mood.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to drink natural drinks like lemon water with salt and tender coconut with glucose.They will be really energetic and i don't use artificial drinks contaminated with colors.
----------------------
gomez

Job Search
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm the only person I know who admits to this- but I really like HEED. Mandarin is my favorite.
Quote Reply