Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is my Timex Ironman watch broken?
Quote | Reply
I just got done doing 1 minute all out repeats on the trainer and I was finally able to verify what I've believed for some time now. For some reason my watch takes exactly 3 1/2 times as long to count off a minute when I'm doing the fast portion as it does when I'm doing the recovery portion. I checked the watch and in all other respects it seems to keep time just fine, it's spot on to the atomic clock every time I check and it's a Timex, they're the official watch of Ironman, so it must be good right? If anyone has a fix for this malady I'd appreciate the insight.

-Andrew Saar
It is better to do the right thing and be paid poorly,
than to do the wrong thing and be rewarded richly.
Quote Reply
Re: Is my Timex Ironman watch broken? [AndrewSaar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont know about yours, but my timex ironman just crapped out after 18 months. How long are they supposed to last? The first one i got in 2002, lasted me 3 years and then i lost it. The second one lasted two years, and this lasted less than 2.

Are there better watches? Cause on the other hand, i just paid 45 bucks to replace the battery in my fancy dress watch, and the ironman cost no more than 25.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The time warp is caused by a combination of a geocentric deceleration of the earth induced by the increased rate of spinning of the magnet/fluid chamber and the excessive boredom of trainer riding. The fix is to ride outside.
Quote Reply
Re: Is my Timex Ironman watch broken? [aloys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know what you do with your watches. I still have my first timex ironman watch from 1991 and it is working.

I have many timex ironman watches and have never had a problem with any of them.

Based on their cost, if people think it is too dear to replace the battery, just buy a new one and throw out or ebay it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No good advice. My Garmin 305 does the exact same thing when I'm doing
intervals outside. Either on the bike or running. I suspect the same thing screws
with the atomic clocks in the satellites that is getting your watch.

My Casio G-Shock exhibits the problem in the pool, but given my swimming times
it seems like the water serves as some sort of buffer to mitigate the problem.

Let me know if you figure it out.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Ironman watch went bad but a little known secret is if you send it back to TIMEX with $7 for S&H they'll send you a brand new one. Worked for me on my last one no questions asked.
JB
Quote Reply
Re: Is my Timex Ironman watch broken? [thomo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timex Ironman watch was probably the best watch I have ever owned. It was sooooo ugly and could not be worn with anything but lycra. It was very dark blue-gray with a brownish case, rubberized bezel, and teal buttons. I bought it back in the 90's because it looked very "Terminator." At the time I didn't even know what the hell an Ironman was. Indiglo had just came out and I thought it was the coolest thing.

The watch had gone through everything: I went skydiving with that watch. Got hit by a car with that watch---left a big teal scuff on the right front passenger side door of a car that right-turned without looking. The car actually hit the watch. Went swimming/diving with it countless times. Bike riding in the snow. Centuries. Out of state bike rides. My first race. My first car. I had a job as a painter and got little white dots of paint all over it. When I was in the hospital I had no clock in my room, but I had my Ironman watch. The nurse blew a vein when putting in an IV so I even got blood on it. You name it, it happened. I think I even lost my virginity while wearing that watch! Just couldn't wear a suit or tux (or T shirt) with that thing. Maybe denim cutoff shorts...

The watch got beat up so bad, buttons started falling off, the cheap plastic band cracked and was replaced with a woven nylon one, the Indiglo stopped working. But you know what? It still told me what time it was. Exactly what a watch is supposed to do. You don't fire someone that's doing their job.

The watch finally died after about 7 or 8 years. Not one battery change. It was replaced by an even more Terminator-looking stainless steel Swiss Army Chronograph (fancy name for "watch") that lasted a fraction of the lifespan of the Ironman. I have since stopped wearing a watch, which some find ironic for a time-trialist. Strangely, I've been more frequently on time (or less tardy) not wearing a watch than when I am.
Quote Reply
Re: Is my Timex Ironman watch broken? [John M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The time warp is caused by a combination of a geocentric deceleration of the earth induced by the increased rate of spinning of the magnet/fluid chamber and the excessive boredom of trainer riding. The fix is to ride outside.
A larger effect is due to excessive chronon emission. Chronons are the quantum mechanical smallest divisible particles of time. All watches emit them, but Timex's have historically had some of the highest levels of chronon emission. Excessive Chronon Emission (ECE) can cause distortions in the local space-time continuum. Supposedly, Timex is going to come out with a watch made of "tau" metal. Tau metal is chrono-synclastic analogy to "mu" metal - i.e. mu metal blocks magnetic fields and tau metal blocks chronon emission.

By the way, ECE is the reason that wearing watches during competition is banned for swimmers in both United States Swimming events, US Masters events, up through FINA and the Olympics. It comes under Rule 102.10.10 for USA Swimming. There have been some discussion at the FINA and Olympic level regarding banning watches for open water swimming and triathlon, but so far, no consensus.
Quote Reply
Re: Is my Timex Ironman watch broken? [garnermtn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

TIMEX are incredible with their warranty repair/replacement
Quote Reply
Re: Is my Timex Ironman watch broken? [John M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John M and triman40, you two have taken early leads for Best Posts of '09!
Quote Reply
Re: Is my Timex Ironman watch broken? [unwound third] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It all has to do with where your Timex was made. I assume, like the majority of Timex watches, it was made in the Mactan Export Processing Zone (MEPZ) in the island of Mactan in the City of Cebu (Philippines). Aside from the fact that Mactan's EPZ area is located right beside the Mactan International airport (which could affect the integrity of the production process due to airwaves caused by 747s landing and taking off nearby), one has to take into account the history of Mactan. In 1621, Ferdinand Magellan in his attempt to circumnavigate the earth crossed the Pacific ocean and landed in Mactan planting a cross as he did so. The natives whom he tried to christianize did not take kindly to his attempts and killed him. The cross stands to this day right beside the Cathedral of the Santo Nino (the Holy Child) . But I digress.... Perhaps he set something in motion over 400 years ago that to this day affects any electronic items built in Mactan. I suspect that whenever you push the threshold of indoor training workout you somehow go back in time by 2 and a half minutes effectively extending your minute by the same time. I'd keep that watch as it may just prove that the world remains flat and that Magellan's failure to circumnavigate the earth would have been impossible even had he survived.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: Is my Timex Ironman watch broken? [aloys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine usually last about 3 years. When the battery dies I throw it out b/c every time I have had the battery changed they screw it up and it doesn't work. I had a friend who worked in the jewelry department of a department store tell me it's very difficult to change them b/c they are put together so slighty in order to water proof them. I figure $25 every three years isn't bad.

------------------------------------------------------------
I have failed at many things, but never in my desire to try again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear that.

If you check you'll probably discover that actually, the watch runs 1.75 times too slow during the tempo, and then runs 1.75 times faster during the reco. That's why you end time always ends up being about right.

Somebody should get on to Timex about this.

Ed - that's a beautiful story about the teal Timex. Made me weep a a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Is my Timex Ironman watch broken? [gimberloid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm...,
I think the problem is probably medical. Ask your doctor to check a serum porcelain level and if that checks out ok I would check a whimp titer.

Just kidding. You are no alone. I'm on week 8 of my Hudson plan. Don't forget that Matt Fitzgerald is the writer here. His book Brain Training is a great companion to Run Faster. Also see www.mattfitzgerald.org. I read it daily.
Quote Reply
Re: Is my Timex Ironman watch broken? [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It all has to do with where your Timex was made. I assume, like the majority of Timex watches, it was made in the Mactan Export Processing Zone (MEPZ) in the island of Mactan in the City of Cebu (Philippines). Aside from the fact that Mactan's EPZ area is located right beside the Mactan International airport (which could affect the integrity of the production process due to airwaves caused by 747s landing and taking off nearby), one has to take into account the history of Mactan. In 1621, Ferdinand Magellan in his attempt to circumnavigate the earth crossed the Pacific ocean and landed in Mactan planting a cross as he did so. The natives whom he tried to christianize did not take kindly to his attempts and killed him. The cross stands to this day right beside the Cathedral of the Santo Nino (the Holy Child) . But I digress.... Perhaps he set something in motion over 400 years ago that to this day affects any electronic items built in Mactan. I suspect that whenever you push the threshold of indoor training workout you somehow go back in time by 2 and a half minutes effectively extending your minute by the same time. I'd keep that watch as it may just prove that the world remains flat and that Magellan's failure to circumnavigate the earth would have been impossible even had he survived.

That was funny! Although I think the guys giving serious answers are even funnier!!!
Sarge

"it's also a personal choice to remain ignorant" - Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Is my Timex Ironman watch broken? [triman140] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You thought I was kidding about swimmer's watches affecting the timing system? Read the link below !! http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/...measure-time-1610906
Quote Reply
Re: Is my Timex Ironman watch broken? [triman140] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you been thinking about this for the last 8 years? Cool.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Is my Timex Ironman watch broken? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Have you been thinking about this for the last 8 years? Cool.

Thanks Len ! Actually I have been thinking about it longer than that! Chronon entanglement and emission was the topic of my phd thesis.

For reference and so you don't have scroll through all the previous posts, here is the original post on the topic:

" A larger effect is due to excessive chronon emission. Chronons are the quantum mechanical smallest divisible particles of time. All watches emit them, but Timex's have historically had some of the highest levels of chronon emission. Excessive Chronon Emission (ECE) can cause distortions in the local space-time continuum. Supposedly, Timex is going to come out with a watch made of "tau" metal. Tau metal is chrono-synclastic analogy to "mu" metal - i.e. mu metal blocks magnetic fields and tau metal blocks chronon emission.
By the way, ECE is the reason that wearing watches during competition is banned for swimmers in both United States Swimming events, US Masters events, up through FINA and the Olympics. It comes under Rule 102.10.10 for USA Swimming. There have been some discussion at the FINA and Olympic level regarding banning watches for open water swimming and triathlon, but so far, no consensus.[/quote] "
Quote Reply