Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kayle Leo Grande suspended [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In case you have not read this one, it was a good read.

https://pvcycling.wordpress.com/...e-doper-at-the-time/

I only "race" about 5 times a year now, and mostly mtn bike stuff. More like I pay to ride an organized event. Every single time I see amateur doping articles it makes me say why. I know it is a big ego thing, but in reality who cares if you win a race. I tell my kids the simple thing of "You are either a good person or not". That can be interrupted any way you want, but it is simple for me. ANYONE who dopes on the amateur level is just screwed up on their values and I do not want to be associated with them in any way. Random rant over.

Contemplating a multi-sport comeback
Quote Reply
Re: Kayle Leo Grande suspended [offrhodes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the world of HRT/TRT/Anti Aging Clinics/etc, I'd venture to guess more and more are "doping" with legit prescriptions. There's not much of a need to purchase gear from guys behind a gym parking lot. Those days are gone. It's easily obtainable and not everyone racing industrial park crits are tested. It only takes some money to become an established patient(monitored bloodwork, mailbox deliveries) and you're good to go. We're living in an age where 50Plus(respectfully) masters look amazing physique-wise. It's quite obvious seeing their bodies in endurance sports(primarily: cycling and multi-sport).
Last edited by: vikingstumps: Aug 29, 17 10:42
Quote Reply
Re: Kayle Leo Grande suspended [offrhodes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
offrhodes wrote:
In case you have not read this one, it was a good read.

https://pvcycling.wordpress.com/...e-doper-at-the-time/

I only "race" about 5 times a year now, and mostly mtn bike stuff. More like I pay to ride an organized event. Every single time I see amateur doping articles it makes me say why. I know it is a big ego thing, but in reality who cares if you win a race. I tell my kids the simple thing of "You are either a good person or not". That can be interrupted any way you want, but it is simple for me. ANYONE who dopes on the amateur level is just screwed up on their values and I do not want to be associated with them in any way. Random rant over.
Read the article and of course Papp is mentioned. Why wasn't his list ever released? And it's not just Cali that's full of dopers, I think there are quite a few here out East as well......
Quote Reply
Re: Kayle Leo Grande suspended [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote]
Read the article and of course Papp is mentioned. Why wasn't his list ever released? And it's not just Cali that's full of dopers, I think there are quite a few here out East as well......[/quote]
Just had that conversation with a friend the night before the Crotched Mtn 100 two Fridays ago. We have no proof, just educated guesses, but our list of "more-than-likely-dopers" in the New England area over the past 20 years was very similar.

Contemplating a multi-sport comeback
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
v0coder wrote:
Meanwhile in Colorado, about 12 guys bothered to show up for the masters state road race championship.

You too? Same thing here in California. Just over the past couple of years things seem way down, particularly in the once embarrassingly dominant masters side.

I don't understand why. Is it all about increased anti-doping efforts?

It's not just a generational thing because it's happened so quickly. Guys aren't aging out of the sport, they're dropping out.

I struggle with deciding how widespread the doping is.

I've spoken with some people here in NorCal and Colorado about turnout lately. The concensus is that there are more and more events that fit the needs of somebody who is inclined to race other than just pure bicycle racing. Gravel grinders, Belgian Waffle Ride, Gran Fondos, etc. Those events also have the benefit of not requiring great fitness to have a fun time. For example, if you're pretty fit and show up for the P/1/2, or Master's 35 race at something like Copperopolis you're not going to have much fun. I think in the past more riders would have still gone to the hard road race because there weren't many other options.

Another issue I think are race conflicts. Lots of easy to sit in the pack industrial park crits to go to instead of harder races on the same day.

This part could just be my predjudice, but I just get the feeling that guys aren't willing to do hard stuff as much as in the past. I've done 3 P/1/2 TT's this year, all in the heart of the Bay Area where there are LOTS of racers. Here is the turnout.

March Tempus Fugit TT - 5 p/1/2
July Cross Fire Hurricane TT - 1 p/1/2 ONE!!!
August Tempus Fugit TT - 5 p/1/2
August Esparto TT - 5 p/1/2

I raced my age group (55-59) at the district TT in June (I should have done p/1/2). And there were of course 5 in the p/1/2 group.

WTH?

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Kayle Leo Grande suspended [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I raced my age group (55-59) at the district TT in June (I should have done p/1/2). And there were of course 5 in the p/1/2 group.

Yeah, I showed up for my district TT (45-49), and saw a weak P12 field on the signup sheet, like 7-8 people, most of whom I knew I could beat.. So I rolled the dice and decided to do a race-day switch to go after a P12 title. So damn close. One kid I hadn't heard of beat me by a little. But now he's on team Axeon H-B so I consider that a respectable loss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but I just get the feeling that guys aren't willing to do hard stuff as much as in the past

Maybe sorta for some people, but I think that's self-selection. Every gravel race I've done is as as hard or 3x worse than any masters or P12 road race. Do Levi's and see what you think after climb up King's Ridge with front group--can assure you there's nothing fun about that! Same could be said for Diablo Challenge. It's "fun" for many but like the saying goes, if it's timed it's a race for pointy end.

More so I think it's also declining interest in the same scene, with same people, on same course, while new and different competitive opportunities present themselves. I read (or am potentially misremembering) that CX is the fastest growing USAC licensed discipline. That vibe is much closer to gravel than road racing, and crits are like a different sport entirely. Much lower barriers to participation, stigma and guys like Kayle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 40+ open cat here in Colorado is simply ridiculously hard. So many former pros and national champions. State champ crit was faster than the P12s. The big crit guys aren't doing well in the hills, so I have no reason to suspect doping.I do see a couple of very strong riders struggling to get top 10s - dunno if the field is that stronger or they're just having bad seasons.

What I'm seeing is that riders are being much more selective about riding events that suit them. Time was the fields in the hill climbs used to be full to the brim. Now the turnout is in the teens for each field and it's 90% good climbers plus a few fools, like me, who don't know any better. There's a lot less of the Corinthian spirit.

Riders seem to be less adventurous/risk-taking in the races and pack-riding skills have definitely deteriorated overall - at least for those below cat 2 level. Was in a couple of cat 3 breaks and chase groups and none gelled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:

WTH?

There are a few things going on:

* Just like tennis (1970s) and running (1980s), cycling had its heyday, but that has now passed. Most of the competitive cyclists I knew 10 years ago (like my brother) have switched to trail running and other sports

* Bike mfgrs screwed themselves with the constant standard changes (9->10->11 speed, disk brakes, etc). Who's going to drop $8,000 on a TT bike to race 4 NorCal TTs a year; and then see it turn obsolete and incompatible after 2 years?

* People are fearful of road-riding. Many of us perceive that the proliferation of smartphones has made it really dangerous. Just look how many people on this forum only train indoors.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Kayle Leo Grande suspended [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
but I just get the feeling that guys aren't willing to do hard stuff as much as in the past

Maybe sorta for some people, but I think that's self-selection. Every gravel race I've done is as as hard or 3x worse than any masters or P12 road race. Do Levi's and see what you think after climb up King's Ridge with front group--can assure you there's nothing fun about that! Same could be said for Diablo Challenge. It's "fun" for many but like the saying goes, if it's timed it's a race for pointy end.

More so I think it's also declining interest in the same scene, with same people, on same course, while new and different competitive opportunities present themselves. I read (or am potentially misremembering) that CX is the fastest growing USAC licensed discipline. That vibe is much closer to gravel than road racing, and crits are like a different sport entirely. Much lower barriers to participation, stigma and guys like Kayle.

True, but unlike say Copperopolis you can do Levi's or the Diablo Challenge and not climb at the pointy end without feeling like the one guy all alone who was dropped. I'd guess that a large number of the guys at the pointy end at Levi's or Diablo are also doing Copperopolis, Mt. Hamilton, etc. The difference is that there are of course hundreds more (minimum) at those other events.

But then again, the beauty of those events is that they can be fun for anybody. The question remains though. Where are the younger people? For instance, when I first did the district TT in Sattley in 1985 there were around 50 entrants in just the elite race. At that time I think that maybe they had 35+ and 45+, but that would have been about it. This year, 5 in P/1/2. But then again, they weren't stupid enough to put the Berkeley Hills RR on the same fucking day in 1985.

Regarding 'cross. I think it has that same advantage that Levi's, Diablo Challenge, triathlon, your local 10k, etc. have. You can do a race with varying levels of fitness and have a fun experience without worrying about being the one guy off the back chasing alone. Bike racing will always weed those people out based on the reality of how bike racing works. It will always be smaller than those other choices for that reason alone. What I don't get is why it seems that the proportion of people who ride bikes is less and less choosing road racing.

Like Kennedy said "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things,[7]not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win"

That is why _I_ race bikes. Because it's HARD. Because it's a challenge. Why does it seem that a smaller and smaller percentage feel that way? Or is my perception wrong?

I wonder if the "vibe" in cross racing and MTB racing at the elite levels is any different than road racing. At those levels it's not okay to be off the back. In other words, is it so much the event/venue (cross/mtb/triathlon/10k) as it is the level of competition that you participate at.

I don't know. Lots of rambling there. I don't have any answers, just guesses and questions.

And to get back on topic. Kayle is in fact a douche. :-)

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Kayle Leo Grande suspended [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:
nslckevin wrote:

WTH?

There are a few things going on:

* Just like tennis (1970s) and running (1980s), cycling had its heyday, but that has now passed. Most of the competitive cyclists I knew 10 years ago (like my brother) have switched to trail running and other sports

* Bike mfgrs screwed themselves with the constant standard changes (9->10->11 speed, disk brakes, etc). Who's going to drop $8,000 on a TT bike to race 4 NorCal TTs a year; and then see it turn obsolete and incompatible after 2 years?

* People are fearful of road-riding. Many of us perceive that the proliferation of smartphones has made it really dangerous. Just look how many people on this forum only train indoors.

I can't really argue the first and third points, but you can't stop the progress of equipment. 11 speed is just way better than 10 speed, or 9 speed, or 8 speed, etc. I haven't had the chance to try disc brakes yet, and you're right that is a BIG jump because buying a disc brake race bike also means buying a whole bunch of new wheels. I get that. But you're not at a competitive disadvantage if you don't have disc brakes and really not if you've got 10 speed either. My TT bike is 6 years old and it still goes pretty fast last I checked. I only upgraded it to 11 speed (SRAM Force) so I could have all 11 speed wheels to swap between my road and TT bikes and my team mate Dan Bryant won worlds TT on a 10 speed bike. (Ultegra Di2)

11 speed is better.
electronic shifting is better.

You don't _need_ either to win bike races though..

People buy new $8,000 bikes because they want them. I know I do. I want ALL of the bikes. :-) But for now I'm racing on a 2013 model BMC SLR01 with getting close to 40,000 miles on it. It goes pretty fast too. Unless you're riding an '80s Colnago with Campy Nuovo Record friction shifting I really boils down to the rider on the bike. I didn't lose at Pikes Peak because I didn't have a new bike...

I think we all get caught up in the latest shiny thing and think that we need that to win. I know I do sometimes. But I don't think we really do as much as we might think.

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm no sage as to why road racing is in such decline. Just my own POV, a lot of guesses, and pontificating, which as you know, I'm fairly adept at.

I do think there are alternatives just as competitive. Racers make the race, but courses can be brutally demanding in a way that the suffering is just as real yet different (as in not over when you get dropped). Some resemble an IM where 10 or 15 guys are legitimately going for win, and others have bigger quality fields. The race for a result might be over when your ticket's punched but just finishing is often an uncertain element of the challenge. To your point, not the same as a road race. But I also can't remember ANY USAC event where I wasn't sure if I could complete the distance. DK? Different story.

Speaking of DK, it sold out 2,000 spots in minutes. Minutes, because their server crashed. That's IM in it's heyday level interest. Grasshoppers now sell out, and compete directly with road races. And a lot of the people making those races hard are the same ones that were crushing USAC stuff. The big crossover is coming from road guys and not the other disciplines and it's noticeable in how much harder they're becoming. When Levi, Stetina, ten Dam and Ted show up for a Grasshopper, it ain't gonna be a walk in the park. In fact, that's closer to a quality level of a Nor Cal road race 10 years ago before the UCI went ahead and screwed things up. Did I think I could beat Levi at Copperopolis? Of course not, but it didn't dissuade me from willfully paying good money to get my teeth kicked in all the same.

Guessing there are similarities in what's lead to choices today.

So here's a question for you: when are you going to stop wasting time posting here and started shopping for a damn adventure bike?
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Aug 29, 17 18:02
Quote Reply
Re: Kayle Leo Grande suspended [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's DK?
Quote Reply
Re: Kayle Leo Grande suspended [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirty Kanza.
Quote Reply
Re: Kayle Leo Grande suspended [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In 8 years, he'll race again. Many masters will have forgotten, won't care, or will be new to the sport and stroke him to join their team. It will be business as usual in the ego driven merry go round.
Quote Reply
Re: Kayle Leo Grande suspended [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bobke has a pretty amusing take on the recent news:

https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be

--
I ride Felt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
USADA sanction official today.

Quote:
USADA announced that LeoGrande had tested positive for a host of banned substances: raloxifene, ostarine, ibutamoren, GW1516 sulfone, RAD140, LGD4033, and andarine.

Yup, taking 7 things. Or, at least, 7.
The ever-popular "poor me, the supplement manufacturer accidentally left a bunch of ostarine in the vat before making my electrolyte pills" excuse is going to be a little hard on this one.

All that can be found in OTC male "performance enhancement" not pertaining to endurance sport.

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Kayle Leo Grande suspended [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
All that can be found in OTC male "performance enhancement" not pertaining to endurance sport.

I'll take your word for it. I wouldn't know. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:

What supplement?

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
trail wrote:
USADA sanction official today.

Quote:
USADA announced that LeoGrande had tested positive for a host of banned substances: raloxifene, ostarine, ibutamoren, GW1516 sulfone, RAD140, LGD4033, and andarine.

Yup, taking 7 things. Or, at least, 7.
The ever-popular "poor me, the supplement manufacturer accidentally left a bunch of ostarine in the vat before making my electrolyte pills" excuse is going to be a little hard on this one.

For the life of me I can't understand why he would be so reckless then to take something like that the night before a race. Clean athletes are fearful to take some cough drops from Walgreens, let alone something that is packaged in some sort of crazy sensationalized wrapper at a gas station.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply

Prev Next