Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recovery For a Marathon
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, help me out. I just did my first Marathon on Sunday, and what an Awesome Endorphin producing experience it was. What should my recovery be now? I am stiff, sore, and my quads are mush. Do I do nothing for a week, or can I hit the gym for some upper body stuff, and do some pulling in the pool or what? Typically active recovery is best for me, but this is a new frontier of aches and sad muscles. It has only been two days, but the anal obsessive compulsive force inside of me is already starting to crave more endorphins.

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." -Alan Cabelly
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery For a Marathon [Jim Harris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was that the St louis Marathon? Are you the OLD jim Harris from Chesterfield??????????????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You just put your body through some major stress. With that in mind, I'd simply go for long walks for a week, stretch, do some deep breathing, maybe even take a yoga class. I'd also eat plenty of protein, carbs, vitamin C, E, zinc, glutamine, and drink loads of water. It's only the beginning of the season, so why get burnt out or injured in April when there are so many wonderful months of training and racing ahead of you? Relax and be kind to your body.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My best recovery after marathons has been normal swim workouts, just cut the volume to about half. Starting Tues. after the marathon I set the computrainer to ergometer mode at about 140 watts and spin at about 95 rpm for no more than 40 minutes. Also, I walk every day for about 30 minutes.

I'll spin daily for 7-10 days with 3 or 4 swim workouts in that period. I get as much sleep as I can and eat nonstop.

I don't get a hard bike or run workout for almost 2 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery For a Marathon [denewone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was the Glass City Marathon in Toledo. I am not the old Jim Harris from Chesterfield, but I used to play him on TV.

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." -Alan Cabelly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jim,

You need to exercise those sore muscles otherwise recovery will take longer.
After a marathon (starting the same day) I try and walk at least 30 minutes each day. I also try to keep walking around the office frequently.
Get a massage as soon as possible (within 24 hours is best). This helps lots.
Go swimming. This allows you to exercise without the impact of running.
After a couple of days, start with some gentle running and cycling. don't push it.

You'll know when you can start seriously training again, but it's different for everyone.

I did a marathon on 6th April and then did another one a week later - I was only 6 minutes slower at the second because I recovered well.

Cheers,
dt.
Quote Reply