Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Local race series prices--a thought.
Quote | Reply
We have 8-9 sprint or oly races in our series here in Michigan. Some races that are the same length are either 40 or 65 dollars for equivalent distances. How can that be? Same state, really about a 50 mile difference in area, so how can they be different? One race promoter charges 62 for basically any race they do out of the 8-9 and could be different distances. Doesn't make sense really? One national promoter who also has races out west only charges 40 for a sprint. Oh well, I guess if I want to use my expensive bike and use all of the training I do, I'll have to pay--I guess they know that too.
Quote Reply
Re: Local race series prices--a thought. [Matt Berner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not just how long it is...

Here are just a few of the possible contributing factors to event price differences:

- what is the demand like? do both events sell out, or just one?
- what kind of hardware is awarded at each event?
- are there any year-end awards for point series given out?
- does one RD run a significantly higher number of events each year? If so, volume discounts on some supplies may be available
- sponsorships - what kind do both races have? $$$ from sponsors can impact the final cost, whether the sponsors are donating $, food, gels, etc.
- how many different towns does each go through? typically, each town chooses their own permit fees.
- how many intersections in each race? the more intersections, the more police that need to be hired.
- is either race being used as a fundraiser for a charity? if so, then part of your money is going as a donation.
- what kind of rental fees are needed for the park, etc. that the swim and transition areas are being held at?

These are just a few of the different things that go into a race. What may be a $0 budget item for one race may be a significant item in the other race's budget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We shell out thousands to race promoters to produce their events every year. I have no problem doing it- it keeps the sport alive and gowing. That is so important. I think race directors should charge a premium for events. Clearly, there is a limit, and my personal feeling is $65 is right at that limit. It is five hours of fitness and entertainment for $65. That's about twice the price of a movie ticket (per hour) and more interactive. Considering tickets to a two hour concert can sometimes be over $100 I don't consider it totally out of line. I do start to raise an eyebrow north of $65 for a sprint triathlon. A fancy olympic distance race with a "hook" (unique course, championship event, long established history, etc.) can get up $100 but it has to REALLY deliver the entertainment value: Cool course, excellent marchalling, perfect aid stations, good transition area, good course marking, spot-on results, nice food afterward and quick awards ceremony. One race that comes to mind is Sylvania put on by Jim and Joyce Donaldson. I would pay $100 to do that race.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Local race series prices--a thought. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But Tom, The race in Ann Arbor is great except for the rough roads. And there is the same distance race in Kzoo for 25 less? I'm not sure why. I guess because I own a business I am trying to correlate it to something concrete but I guess there isn't. I will still race because in the Ann Arbor race there is a hill coming out of the swim that will make you puke or show you just how strong you are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way too many hidden factors to give an answer. Some venues are free, while others charge an arm and a leg. Some municipalities allow you to use volunteer course marshals, some require two cops on overtime at each intersection, some get good sponsership, some don't.

Also don't forget some Race Directors do it as a break even hobby, while for some it is a money making proposition.

In Michigan specifically there seems to be a race, sometimes two every weekend in the summer. Normally they all sell out, but I suspect that we will see a supply and demand situation soon where the best ones survive and the others fade away. It will be interesting if the high priced chip timed, good food, prize money races last or the cheap, no frills races survive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just had lunch with two guys who put on races one a sprint tri and one a 5k run. They are both charity events. The 5K was put on this past weekend. The director will be able to give about two grand to the charity. It had 250+/- entered in it. The entry was $20 and late $25. It had about 9 sponsors all contributing something. The sprint TRI will be limited to 150 people, the title sponsor will give more than a few thousand, with numerous other sponsors donating money, food etc. The hope is to give a great ditty bag and make a contribution to the charity with $30 entry fee. I helped put on the sprint try last year and got an view of what it takes. Bottom line is that some races can make money others can't.

I am in favor of entering races that donate their earnings to charity. But I am not against doing a race that may make someone money simply because I now know the effort it takes to put a good race on. Normally the races in this area that don't donate their earnings to charity keep it to improve the race the next year, and it shows.
Quote Reply