Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Throughly disgusted
Quote | Reply
Excuse me for ranting, but I HAVE to get this off my chest and see what the Womens think about this...

At the awards ceremony at IMFL this past Sunday, the entire crowd stood and gave Tom Evans a standing ovation but not Bella Comerford. Hmmmm. Why?

I know smashing the course record in Florida is a great feet, but I am not so sure the lack of a standing ovation for Bella was because of her "sub-par performance"...me thinkey the crowd only wanted to give such accolades to a man NOT a woman.

Thoughts?

Also, the Age Group award winners are total a$%holes!!!!

Ok, I will clarify...most of the men and women ages 18-34 are total jerks. I was sitting at a table close to where the age groupers were lining up to be called on stage and receive their hardware. The Janus Charity Challenge Athletes were being recognized during this and darn near all the age groupers from 18-34 were talking (loud I might add) about how their races went, their hotel accomidations, where they were going to party next, and on and on and on. HOW RUDE!!!!! I couldn't hear anything about the Janus Charity Challenge Athletes! And the Janus Charity Athletes had a microphone!

Aren't these age groupers supposed to be the "face" of triathlon? With all their sponsors and free gear, don't you think they could shut their mouths for 5 frickin' minutes to hear about OTHER deserving athletes getting recognized?

What happened to good sportmanship? What happened to simple common courtesy?

Oh I forgot...this was THEIR Ironman, no one else raced that day and no one else deserves to have recognition.

GRRRRRR.

Heather Sweet
http://thesweetsadventure.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Throughly disgusted [hj-rockstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think the standing ovation had anything to do with sex, but perhaps his age. What he is doing is a remarkable thing. Not to take anything away from Bella, but she is in her prime and drtommy... well, apparently he is too haha.

Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ok, I will clarify...most of the men and women ages 18-34 are total jerks.

I think this is just a fact we have to deal with. The aggressive, type A, me-first attitudes of these AG'rs is what got them to the podium in the first place. The pointy end of the field will have a higher concentration of a-holes.

They may not be that way 100% of the time but it will take a while for them to "wind down" from the race.

Now, what irks me the most is people who pick up their award then bolt. This is very disrespectful to the other age groups.
There is an RD in Charleston who will mix it up and announce young, then old, then middle age groups. This usually keeps the crowd around to the end.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." - Charles De Mar
Quote Reply
Re: Throughly disgusted [P2SLowry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>The aggressive, type A, me-first attitudes of these AG'rs is what got them to the podium in the first place. <<

At IM FL, that, or drafting.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Throughly disgusted [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand that but... I don't think that is an excuse. There are good sports who are fast too.

Heather Sweet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think the standing ovation was because he was a man. Triathlon is one sport that treats men and women fairly equally. I see as much respect on this forum for the female athletes who do something incredible as for the men. In fact, more threads have talked about Chrissie than anyone else since Kona. There's a huge amount of respect for women in triathlon, so I really doubt it was that.

I agree that the AG'ers were rude. Someone should have told them to STFU.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't believe Jonnyo has not chimed in since he is de facto PR for Tom.

What you have to appreciate is that Tom is one of the most loved guys on the pro side. Humble and fast. Both endearing qualities. He won IMFL in 2004, so they gave him the return heroes welcome

Contrast that to Bella, who pretty much wins IMFL every year. It's old hat. Hard for some people to give you a standing-o when everyone pretty much thought you were going to take it.

I think you are reading too much into things, but yes -- young AGers suck!
Quote Reply
Re: Throughly disgusted [centermiddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the insight into the standing O bit. =)

Heather Sweet
Quote Reply
Re: Throughly disgusted [centermiddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
-- young AGers suck!
Hey... you settle down!

Quote | Reply
"young AGers suck!"

At least with younger people you can blame it on a lack of maturity due to their age. It's when they're middle aged and still act the same way that you have to shake your head.
Quote Reply
Re: Throughly disgusted [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I had misplaced my EPO inhaler...
Quote Reply