Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Childbirth and an Ironman...
Quote | Reply
What is a realistic time frame for doing an Ironman post delivery of a baby? I know it will differ for everyone, but is 6 months possible? A year? 2 years? Just curious as to what those who have been there and done that have done (or those who are professionals recommend), was the time between birth and race enough? Obviously there are shorter races out there, and they are more realistic sooner after birth, so I'm curious about the Iron-time.

Thanks!!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Childbirth and an Ironman... [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
K was 20 months when I did mine, my first kid, my first IM.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't a pro woman win a race, or place top 5 less than 10 months after childbirth this year...for some reason 7 months sticks in my mind, but I can't remember who or what race ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think I would recommend this, but here is an article about Jessica Jacobs (3rd at IMFL this weekend) that mentions she raced Kona 10 WEEKS after giving birth to her daughter.

http://ironman.com/...files-jessica-jacobs

Jess is truly an amazing lady ...very driven (as if you couldn't tell from the article) and as sweet as can be.
Quote Reply
Re: Childbirth and an Ironman... [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gina Kehr?
Quote Reply
Re: Childbirth and an Ironman... [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did she race an IM this year and do well after giving birth last year?

Sorry, I'm not up to date on all the women pros who have kids or raced? I just remember reading somewhere about someone who did it.
Quote Reply
Re: Childbirth and an Ironman... [Leloo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright - Jessica Jacobs is even more studly than Paula Radcliffe in that sense I believe... How amazing!

Pretty sure that won't be on my "10 Weeks After Giving Birth To Do List" though!! Now a year later, maybe... that's why I asked! (and there probably won't even be a 12 hour finish a year later either...)

Last edited by: RockyMtnChic: Nov 4, 08 15:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just thinking it would be totally IronWoman to plan it out to deliver right after the marathon. You know, have a mobile delivery ob/gyn on hand.

They could come out and annouce, "It's a girl, 8lbs, 4oz and with 1:30 swim, 8:10 bike, 3:30 run and 1:20 delivery. Then the crowd would go wild and throw streamers and glitter and all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IMC in 2005 when my oldest was 8 months old. My time was about an hour slower than my PR, but considering that my training was a little different with an infant than it was for my previous 4 IM's, I was okay with that:)! I have an awesome finish line picture from that race as well, carrying her across the line (that was before the rules became so strict and specific about crossing with kids). I was so excited to finish and see her!

If you have a good base that you can maintain to some degree throughout your pregnancy, and you have some support to get your training in, I think it's quite doable! I trained again this year for an IM with a 3 1/2 year old and a 1 1/2 year old and found it much more challenging to prepare than when I just had an infant to watch. Now might be the best time for a while:)!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got back to racing when my first boy was 3 months old, and he was 20 months old for my first IM. It was easy to train with him since he was a GREAT napper! For my second IM he was 5, and my youngest was 2; it was much more difficult to find time to train.

Good Luck!

- The Who
Quote Reply
Re: Childbirth and an Ironman... [tracik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I don't want to call it "training" while pregnant, what kind of exercise did you do? I'm still walking/jogging regularly (3-4 miles 5 days a week), the trainer is about to come out of storage as we got our first real snow and it's cold as hell here now... And we'll be able to throw in some swimming time throughout the winter (it's a 25 mile drive to the pool and it's the wrong direction from where I work, so it won't be too often). So mostly I'll have a trainer, treadmill, eliptical, nordic skiing and snowshoeing for the winter.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RMC, basically I tried to swim, bike and run but at a very modified intensity. My swim workouts were very boring b/c I wasn't doing quality sets but just swimming. Biking was mostly on the trainer, except for Saturdays when a friend would ride mountain bikes with me on our rail trail for a few hours. I felt very safe there (no cars) and had great balance (even rode 3 1/2 hours the day my first was born). I think they suggest stopping at 28 weeks but my midwife was okay so long as I still felt stable on the bike. During my first pregnancy, I was able to run the whole way through but it became very slow and cumbersome. My second pregnancy I had to stop at 30 weeks b/c I delivered the first 4 weeks early and they didn't want me to deliver any earlier. I used the elliptical a lot to make up for the miles I was cutting back on the road, which was great b/c I could read a lot there.

As another poster mentioned, you might as well go for the IM with the baby b/c it doesn't get easier as they get older. It isn't that bad actually....I could do some runs with the jog stroller and rode most of my miles on the trainer while she slept or sat in her swing or jumper. Best of luck!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to add my 2 cents as a BOPer. I'm mostly a lurker (and not near the athlete as most ST'ers) but if you want the other end of the spectrum. I did my first IM (CDA) in 05 and got pregnant 3 months later. I ran until 7 months then stationary bike and walking until birth. I gave birth exactly one year later by c-section after 51 hours of labor. I decided I'd take it easy and just do a 1/2 IM. I am a stay at home mom so figured I could do it. I breast fed my son and he did not sleep through the night until he was 1 year old. My husband had zero experience with infants/children and we had little outside help. I think a lot was poor planning/laziness on my part too. I tried for 3 months but I just could not get it together. (I was doing track workouts with my son in a jogging stroller.) I was tired and did not eat enough for me, an infant, and exercise. ( I was a size smaller than pre-pregnancy.) I was able to concentrate on a single discipline. (I did a half marathon.) My son was 2 before I completed a 1/2 IM (Lake Stevens). I did not feel like my 'old self' until he was a year old. I wanted to do an IM this summer but my husband was not willing to commit to that. It's something that the whole family has to be willing to take on. I think it depends on a lot of factors... how you deliver, how much sleep you get, whether you breast feed, how much help you have, and the time your willing to give up with your family. I'm envious of people who can do it. I really thought I could do it and still feel a like I failed but, just in case, it doesn't go as you planned... here's my story of an average (or less than average) mom.
Quote Reply