Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Exercise regime while pregnant?
Quote | Reply
I've searched the forum for information on training while pregnant, but there are just so many hits and so little seemed relevant, so I'm asking you, The Women of Slowtwitch.

I have a friend who's 20-ish weeks pregnant and an IM finisher. She hasn't trained (out of deference to the little one's health per some cautious medical professional's general instruction) but is dying to get some kind of training in.

Anyone got advice on how a pregnant Irongal can keep her sanity through exercise?

I'll forward her some links to this site, including this thread.

Thanks.

Quote | Reply
Gordo just wrote something about Monica's training during her pregnancy. She trained every single day, transitioning from pro triathlete to motherhood.

http://www.gordoworld.com/gblog/index.html

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise regime while pregnant? [The Square Peg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I trained every day of my pregnancy and even ran and swam the day I was induced. Now I've got a healthy 5 week old. What someone is capable of doing depends on the person. I just made sure never to overheat, listen to my body and slow down when I needed to and stay hydrated. There is a book by dr. clapp called exercising through pregnancy that is helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise regime while pregnant? [snotrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My sister swam all the time while she was pregnant. She loved it and even did flip turns!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I trained every day through both of my pregnancies and even on the day of both deliveries. Running was at a much slower pace, of course, and usually not always comfortable toward the end. Swimming felt great, and I tended to use the elliptical more than usual. I taught my spinning classes until I was about 36 weeks due to my boss being nervous about my going into labor, not b/c the doctor wanted me to stop. As for outdoor riding, I think they say that past 28 weeks balance becomes an issue, but I still felt fine on my mountain bike. I would only ride on rail trails after getting a belly and finally feeling pregnant, just to avoid traffic. As a matter of fact, I rode 3.5 hours the day my first was born (after breaking my water doing hamstring curls of all things!)

Tell your friend to enjoy having an excuse to not go hard and just be able to train for fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stopped running for my first and had every side effect in the book, plus a 50 lb weight gain.

I ran 5-6 days a week, about 30 miles/week, through my second and third pregnancies and had no complications, no varicose veins.. nada. I felt great! Even ran 5 the day my youngest was born. For me, it made a big difference in my mental and physical health.

BUT - I wasn't a competitive athlete back then. They were all easy miles.. no "workouts." :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a swimmer at heart and was wondering about flip-turns. Are flip turns ok early on in pregnancy? Or should I start to swim long course? Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise regime while pregnant? [rambo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i never had a problem with flip turns, even at 41weeks, and my belly was huge! Not sure why you are worried at the beginning, your baby is doing flips of his own inside and won't notice.
Quote Reply
Re: Exercise regime while pregnant? [mj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I am not worried at the beginning of pregnancy as most things are fine, but I was curious about the last trimester. I guess flip turns are fine:)
Quote Reply