Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I'm burning!
Quote | Reply
The best part of my return from Kona was coming back to an open pool! It closed down for 6 weeks for maintenance. I was not in a happy place for these six weeks. Who knew this kid could love swimming so much?

With my return to the pool returned one more unfavorable part of swimming. My burning face. I have no problems while I'm in the water, or after being in the water. I do have a problem when I do a second work out later in the day. As soon as I start to sweat my face burns. It is only on the same day as a swim if I do a second workout (usually 8ish hours after a swim).

I've got sensitive skin as it is so I'm sure this doesn't help, but it sucks! Anyone else get this at all? Anyone have any "remedies" to the problem. I was thinking about trying some kind of "barrier" to put on my face before I swim, but I'm not sure that would help.

tc... I'm looking at you!

Quote | Reply
hmmm my skin just gets dry and if I put lotion on my body it "reactivates" the chlorine smell.

The burning is chemicals I think... wash your face before you swim, if skin is already wet it will absorb less water and chemicals. Wash your face again after. Then maybe before your 2nd workout.

That's all I can think of

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: I'm burning! [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try going in the sauna or steamroom after you swim for about 10-15 min. It may open the pores and "flush out" some of the pool water.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a few "swimmer" soaps and body washes out there. I have no idea how well they work, but it might be worth a try. The one I've seen a few places is called "tri-swim body wash" (www.tri-swim.com). I've also see a bar soap called "Soap+" which claims to have a chlorine neutralizer. You might want to check www.swimoutlet.com or www.kieffer.com and look under "soap" or "shampoo" to see what they have. I don't know if they really work any better or worse than any other soap, but as I said it might be worth a try if regular soap and/or body lotion isn't helping.

Go that way really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm burning! [TriStrut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also vote for the tri-swim body wash, it's pretty gentle and seems to remove the chemical residue from the pool. Ultraswim used to have a similar gel but I don't believe it's available in the US anymore. I never liked the Ultraswim soap but their gel was pretty good.

I think what you really need is something specially formulated to remove the chlorine. Water or sweat won't remove the chlorine no matter how much plain water you use, or how much you sweat in the sauna.

I'd also be sure to use a really gentle moisturizer on your face after your swim/shower.

Good luck.
BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This totally happens to me too! My face burns like wind-burn during my second workout of the day if my first workout was a swim, and yes I shower in-between! I wish my pool had a steam room, but even then I might not use it. I hate going in there after a hard swim when I am all sweaty.
If I run outside for my second workout, my face will be red an dried out in patches in places afterward. Ouch.
Jessica

Jessica
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See a dermatologist. I used to have this problem as a kid. They prescribed some face soap for me that worked to change my skins pH or something?
Quote Reply