Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike grease on favorite jacket - help!
Quote | Reply
Hi Ladies,

I have a periwinkle purple marmot ski jacket, that I use for my winter jacket. Yesterday in the car, it slid underneath my bike and now has some pretty nasty bike grease stains on it. I have tried dishwasher soap with absolutely no effect. I am worried this will be harder to get out because of the waterproof type fabric. Any suggestions on products that get bike grease out of jackets????

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: bike grease on favorite jacket - help! [flyer521] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try Simple Green. It's a very effective degreaser (and has many other uses as well). It comes in a spray bottle and can be found either in the cleaning aisle or sometimes in the automotive department. But don't wait -- the longer it sits, the harder it is to get out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or try Goo Gone. Always works for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did you try Dawn specifically? I got grease on a pair of ski pants and I was told to use Dawn over other dishwasher soaps because it is formulated to cut grease and that is why they use it on animals for oil spills.

I second Goo Gone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I highly recommend Greased Lightning ...should be able to get it at the grocery/wal-mart/target.

I've used it on everything you can get bike grease on, from carpeting to delicate (white!) technical fabrics, with a lot of success.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second Dawn- and be sure not to dry it until you are sure the stain is out.

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: bike grease on favorite jacket - help! [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the same thing happened to me on a brand new WHITE polo LS top- grease everywhere on it- I thought "no way" but sprayed it down with goo gone and washed it- by gawd the thing came out WHITE- not even a hint of grease anywhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dawn (specifically) x 3 - I've used it to get grease out of everything! Shirts, jeans... I even used it on my wedding dress the day of after the photographers hung it on their tripod and got huge grease streaks on it!
Quote Reply
Re: bike grease on favorite jacket - help! [gwaveswims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dawn should work...it gets out any grease, even the grease that I find after a shirt has been dried.

Do you have those anti-bacterial wipes, like the ones for your kitchen or bathroom? I've been using those (specifically the Kirkland brand) to get out bike grease and they remove it in about 2 seconds flat. It's incredible. I was out the shirt immediately afterward though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dumb question but have you tried regular detergent? if its gore-tex you can wash it in the machine and dry it hot (to relaminate the dwr) I usually throw my jacket in the wash after a few rainy rides and its fine afterwards...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ladies,

So I finally got the grease out and the answer was LESTIOL! I put it on the marks and washed it which got most of it out. I then did it a second time with the lestoil to get the rest out. Thanks for all the suggestions!

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply