Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Reasoning for USAT Bar End Plug Rule?
Quote | Reply
Hey there, why does USAT have the bar end plug rule? Did some triathlete get into a bike crash back in 1986 and loose an eye to an exposed aero bar. Or is that they want us to be as aero as possible and dont want the extra drag associated with an open bar end?

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Reasoning for USAT Bar End Plug Rule? [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the theory is that in the event of a crash, a plugged bar reduces the chance of an accidental biopsy - but that's just me trying to apply logic to the USAT. Easier than the UCI, but still a difficult task.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has been a rule in road cycling forever, and I've often heard it referred to as the "core sample rule," as in hollow metal tube+soft body part+impact=...

I have had the misfortune of seeing one of these human core samples, and let me tell you, it's ugly...

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In general I'm against legislating common sense such as keeping your bike in safe working condition and making people wear helmets. However, when I see the condition people bring their bikes in I am glad we have these rules. Now they need a rule against forward seatposts for people who have no bike handling skills, a rule against not adjusting your drive train, a rule againt not checking your cleats for wear, a rule against using a helmet more than four years old, a rule against racing on a worn out component....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
I have a scar on my upper thigh as a reason why [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thirteen and jumping a BMX bicycle over a dirt mound. When I crash landed I discovered a plug of epidermis and subcutaneous fat MISSING. The handlebar went to my interior thigh muscle. The bike I was riding had grips, but the ends where worn through. I ended up needing ten sutures to close the wound. Not much blood or pain, but serious risk of infection. Time trials aren't BMX jumping, but it's the risk factor. Better safe than sorry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fredly has it correct.

The rule is inforced for safety, an open bar end [handlebar or aerobar] can take a core sample it it hits muscle, the results can be much more devistating if the impact is into body organs. That is why it's a DQ for unsafe equipment as well as to protect you and anybody else that may be involved in the crash.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Re: Reasoning for USAT Bar End Plug Rule? [eric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does anyone know how far the bar end plug rule goes---for example. I have Visiontech aero bars set up like Steve Larsen (or as gerard says he's got his set up like me) with bar end shifters and diacompe 188 brake levers---but on the handlebars of the VT's theres bar end plugs that face back toward the rear of the bike. These have plugs on them, but just in case they pop out one day, do these have to be plugged? Theres virtually no way they could take a human core sample. Just wondering...

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rule 5.11i makes no distinction between the location and/or direction of any holes in the bar system. it states that "all handlebar ends must be solidly plugged to lessen the possibility of injury". I "as a ref" would tell you to have it plugged.

a little preventative effort can prevent the ruining of your day by a DQ, apply some rubber cement to the plugs to hold them in place then you don't [hopefully] have to worry on race day.

Eric

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, at least you aren't in Europe where they make you bridge your bars (read-no bar end shifters), as well. They all ride these Spinachi and refuse to use the Spinachi bridge (and use cheesy-looking duct tape for the "bridge").

An open bar hole can cause quite a bit of damage to other riders or yourself in the unlikely, but painful event of a crash. This rule staves off quite a bit of potential litigation. OF course, when the first guy gets skewered from a bar end shifter, Grip Shift and STI will become very popular shifting options, and we will be talking about after market bridges (or swapping ideas for making a duct tape bridge look less cheesy). I could see it now: Q. What is the best bridge? A. The new super-duper-pooper scooper aero carbon fibre bridge with beryllium from Oval*!!!!

*Note: not picking on Cobb here. He's a knowlegeable guy who knows a LOT more than I.
Quote Reply
Re: Reasoning for USAT Bar End Plug Rule? [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey, at least you aren't in Europe where they make you bridge your bars (read-no bar end shifters), as well. They all ride these Spinachi and refuse to use the Spinachi bridge (and use cheesy-looking duct tape for the "bridge").

The UK had a rule that you couldn't have Forward Facing levers and the bar ends had to be bridged but this changed at the end of 2001 and is now legal. I've also raced in France and didn't require my bars to be bridged. Cheers, dt.
Quote Reply