Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tom D...shoe fit
Quote | Reply
Tom read your article, and I'm trying to figure out if I'm a 46.5 or a 47 in the new Shimano shoe.

Should your toes be up against the front of the shoe? Or is it OK to have some room up front (not wiggle-wise, but in the length)? And if so how much is acceptable? If it wasn't for your article, guaranteed I would have purchased too big.

Marcel
Quote Reply
Re: Tom D...shoe fit [Marcel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is an excellent question. I will pull a minor "Nixon" here and say this: It is not so much a matter of whether your toes touch or not, but whether your foot moves in the shoe. I've noted that some shoe lasts and patterns totally prevent your toe from touching the front even when the saddle (over the top of the foot around the arch) area of the shoe fits correctly. If this is the case (Carnac)then it is fine for your toe to not touch. However, if your toe needs to touch a little to get your foot solidly planted in the shoe with no movement, then yeah, your toe will touch. Now, here's the problem: If your toe touchs TOO MUCH then this will likely become uncomfortable. How do you tell? Well, try this: Try the shoes on. Remember, if you are trying them on at 5:30 P.M. on Friday your feet may be a little bigger than at 7:00 A.M. Sunday morning. Wear the socks (or no socks) you will wear while cycling (but I know you already knew that...). Oh Geez, DON't stand up in them! You will never stand up in them on the bike- not really. Even if you stand to pedal a lot of your weight (about 47% if your bike fitter did it right) will still be on the handlebars. Now, with the shoes on, cross one leg over the other at the knee- not like Marilyn Monroe crosses her legs, like Jim-Bob Hatfield crosses his legs to play the fiddle. Now, grab the heel counter of the shoe and give it a tug. Is there a seemingly molecular bond between your heel and the heel counter of the shoe? Good. Is there movement? No? Good. Now, sit there for a minute. Tell the salesman to busy him/herself else where. Think to yourself: "I have these shoes on now and they feel like this.... But how will this sensation change over the next two hours. If I left these shoes on for the next two hours would they get worse? Would my feet hurt?" And finally, think to yourself "What will happen to my feet inside these shoes when I start pedalling?" the answer to that question should be "Nothing". they should stay rock-solid. the shoes shouldn't "hurt" your feet, but they should prevent them from moving. sometimes, on days when I'm a dick, people try on a pair of shoes and then look at me and ask, "Tom, do these fit?" I say, "Hmm, I'm not sure... let me see one of those." They take off their shoe and I put it on my foot. Then I say "Nope, they don't fit." I can't tell if another persons'shoes fit. I can check it to see of its way off but I can't tell how their foot feels inside it. I can offer some thought provoking ques to get them thnking about their shoe fit. Hopefully that helps them (and you!). Good luck my friend, and thank you for a fine question (and for reading my stuff).

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tom D...shoe fit [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom Thanks so much for your help.

The toes touch slightly in the smaller size. I think it's just the feeling of buying a shoe where the shoe touches, when in every other shoe I buy it doesn't. My only concern is how it will feel after two plus hours, when maybe my feet swell, but they should be fine.

Thanks again for providing so much insight I would have definitely bought too big.

Marcel
Quote Reply
Re: Tom D...shoe fit [Marcel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wide forefoot but narrow heel. Any recommendations for brands/models?
Quote Reply
Re: Tom D...shoe fit [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same problem here. If your feet are small enough, trying a woman's shoe. I'm a guy, but Sidis fit me quite well in the women's sizes.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom D...shoe fit [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about others, but my feet swell quite a bit in the summer, particularly on hot and humid days. For long races in the summer I start out one size larger than I would use for a sprint race. This approach has proven satisfactory to the bike shoe industry inasmuch as I have 6 pairs of shoes, but really only love my Legends.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply