Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Should I sell my HED Deep to by a RENN disc?
Quote | Reply
So i just got a used set of wheels, HED Deep rear and Hed Jet front, to go on my Felt S22 (that i got from Tom D last year... thanks Tom) and I'm considering selling the Deep, and getting a Renn disc. I figure that selling the deep on ebay will nearly pay for the cost of a new Renn disc (I cant afford/justify both at this point, being a grad student).

(For reference of my biking pace, last year at the Mohican Pineman 1/2 IM distance, I averaged 21mph under windy conditions with training wheels after logging only 8 weeks on my Felt. At 1-2 flat Sprint distance races last year, i averaged 24mph)

I'm going to be racing IM-WI this year (my one and only A race this year) as well as some Olympics and possibly sprints (just for kicks).

Is this going to be worth the hassle?

wilson
Quote Reply
Re: Should I sell my HED Deep to by a RENN disc? [wilson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Renn Disks are nice but I'd keep the Deep since you have it. They are nearly as fast as a disk in almost all conditions. Having said that, I must confess I almost always race with a disk. -Not of much help I guess, sorry... Just my .02 cents.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in the same boat with Tom. I have a HED Jet front, Jet Deep rear, and HED Disk. I always haul all three wheels to races, but end up riding the Disk, even at IMMOO last year. The only problem was that I should have used my 12-23 instead of my 11-21.

That being said, if you were deciding on getting a HED Jet front and RENN disk or a HED Jet front and Jet Deep rear, I'd say go for the disk. Since you already have the Deep, I'd say keep it and save up for the disk, who knows, you might need the Deep for Hawaii (they don't allow disks).
Last edited by: efernand: Apr 9, 03 13:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Deep is a good wheel. Have one on the P2K. It's a bit slower than a disc but not much, about the same as a tri-spoke. I'd keep it and get a Renn sometime later. At least that's been my plan but because the Deep is so good there has been no sense of urgency.

If you do sell on ebay they're getting a much better price at this time of the year than even a few months ago. In the fall they were going $125-150 but now seem to be $150-200.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I sell my HED Deep to by a RENN disc? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with everyone else. I ride a Hed Deep rear and Jet front and they are great wheels. I may save up for a disk someday but I'd rather use the money for race entry fees and keep riding my excellent rear wheel. I wouldn't even trade it straight up for a disk because if all goes well I'll be heading to Kona in the not-to-distant future :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sold my Hed Deep a year ago to buy a disk. I am glad I did. The Deep won't sell for very much on ebay. They don't hold value. Disc wheels hold up pretty well.

I could never figure out conditions or a course that would compel me to use the Deep rather than disc. Regardless, the Deep is a good wheel, and we are not talking a big difference here.

Good luck,
Quote Reply
Re: Should I sell my HED Deep to by a RENN disc? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When it is right to move to a disk wheel? I'm a MOP rider and feel I won't get the benefit of a disc yet.

What speed should I be able to maintain before I can justify a disc?

Cheers,

dt.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I sell my HED Deep to by a RENN disc? [davet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should get a disc as soon as your ego can withstand the riders who blow by you on their 32 spoke box rims while telling you how cool your disc wheel sounds.

I am hoping to win the award for slowest rider on a high end disc wheel at IM Lake Placid this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I sell my HED Deep to by a RENN disc? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. There is no speed threshold for justifying a disk. There is only ego, desire, and finances that justify a disk. A MOP'er will benefit from a disk, just like they benefit from aero bars and tight rather than loose clothing. While the actual increase in speed may be less for MOP'er than an elite, the percentage increase might actually be greater. That translates into more time saved over the course for a MOP'er than the Elite would save. Even if the percentages were the same the MOP'er stills saves more time, since they are out their longer.

If you want a disc, buy a disc. It is certainly easier to justify a Renn than any other aero rear wheel since the Renn cost less for more benefit.

Disks are fun. They look cool. They sound cool. This sport is about having fun. You don't have to be fast to have fun.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply