Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where to put the HRM during bike leg?
Quote | Reply
I'm curious as to what everyone does with their HRM during the bike leg. I have a Polar S710, and if I leave it on my wrist 1) I can't see it as easily, and 2) it's out of range of the speed and cadence sensors. In my last race I just dropped it into the holder, which I've mounted on the aero bars, without stopping to fasten the strap, and it almost jumped out a couple of times when I hit bumps. I've considered trying velcro on the back of the watch and the holder, but I'm curious what others do? I don't image people take the time to stop and fasten the watch to the holder.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to put the HRM during bike leg? [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use an xtrainer plus, and it fits between the base bar and the aero bar pads (using the bike attachement, mine can be zap strapped on to the base bar) I have used it in a race, strapped it on before the swim, took it off in the last mile of the bike leg. But I am of the view that a HR during the race, even a bike computer is not of much use, its going to be 112 miles lshort no matter which way you look at it and it just adds stress (going too slow etc.) Also my hrt during a long race almost bears no resemblance to training, especially if well tapered plus the adrenaline etc. I will not be using either during the next race but I will for training rides. In fact I think bike computers just add stress to training, your legs will tell you what you can ride :)

Quote | Reply
I generally put it on my wrist,but keep the strap about a notch or two looser than normal. This way I can twist it up to the side of my wrist when in the aerobars so I have a good view of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During the swim I leave it on the bike. I replaced my band with a Timex velcro band, makes is super easy to remove from the holder prior to the run.

mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear mine on the wrist the whole time... swim bike run.

You can to... sounds like you need to turn up the power on both sensors on your Polar.

It will be able to record your speed easily provided you have the sensor on the front wheel. However, it may not be able to read the sensor for cadence while in the aero position. Depends upon how far the (i.e., large of a frame you have) distance is from the cadence sensor to your wrist.

I keep my watch a bit loose so I can place it on the side of my wrist while on the bike.

I must admit that it is a bit of pain to mess with the idiosyncrasy's of the Polar. That's why I can't wait for the Timex BodyLink to come out.

FWIW Joe Moya

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the combination HRM and speedometer from supergo, it picks up the signal from my Polar strap... give heart rate data on the handlebars, which is all I really use. That way the HRM can stay on your wrist for the run. Other option is to leave the S-710 on the bike and then get a cheap HRM to wear on your wrist for the run.

Cheers.
Quote Reply