Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: My general view of politics and political threads [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50%!!!!!???? Hello....you forgot to read some part of the news :-)
10 millions of northern africans/middle eatern etc. out of 60 millions...out of which less than a third are practicing...
so that's less than 3.3 millions...5% :-)
Quote Reply
Re: My general view of politics and political threads [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as far as I am concerned, it's far less stupid than allowing kids to carry weapons...

there is a separation of church and state in France. and also in the US, but with the current gov. here it's hard to see...
Quote Reply
Re: My general view of politics and political threads [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"as far as I am concerned, it's far less stupid than allowing kids to carry weapons... "

What?

There is no separation of church and state in the US. The idea of it in any country is sad. Also how is the current administration too religious?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: My general view of politics and political threads [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah sorry, I meant 5-10%.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: My general view of politics and political threads [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought so after writing my answer...figured the previous posts were very educated and the 50% was odd :-)
Quote Reply
Re: My general view of politics and political threads [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>There is no separation of church and state in the US.

The U.S. does not tell anyone how to worship. That's a seperation dude.
Quote Reply
Re: My general view of politics and political threads [TxDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Good point but at he same time the government doesn't need to tell ya you can't be religious.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Good point but at he same time the government doesn't need to tell ya you can't be religious.

That's not what "separation" means.

Another good point. Terms get all confusing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even after all of this, I still do not have a Cervelo.....
Quote Reply
Re: My general view of politics and political threads [TxDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Know how you feel.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me neither. And all I want is a Soloist....

I guess it's extreme to the extent that it extends to the smallest symbols of religion, crosses, head scarves, etc. But since the idea is that French schools are entirely secular, I guess it makes sense.

I saw a show the other day in which some French official described the current ruckus as part of a conflict between Islam and fundamentalist secularism. He had it right.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: My general view of politics and political threads [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone needs a Cervelo to love.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a P3...and I am french...HA! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have a P3? Then why are you on that Litespeed fraud?

Quote Reply
Re: My general view of politics and political threads [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the main question is a question of adapting oneself, not whether seperation exists or not. Who adapts to whom?
Shall people with different religious believes adapt to the new countrys society they now live in or should the country adapt to certain changes withín society in daily life ? Where is the compromise?
A compromise can only be found if both sides are prepared to adapt to one another in daily life.

---------------
If you ever want to know what an "eggman" is, then simply click here....http://www.emu5.de
Last edited by: think-or-thwim: Sep 10, 04 6:37
Quote Reply
Re: My general view of politics and political threads [think-or-thwim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the main question is a question of adapting oneself, not whether seperation exists or not. Who adapts to whom? Yes, that's exactly the question. I never said anything about seperation. My impression is that France (maybe other countries as well, I've only been reading about France) is really struggling with this question. If you have a group which is 20% of your total population and growing, and if they are not being assimilated into your culture, you face a significant problem.

Shall people with different religious believes adapt to the new countrys society they now live in or should the country adapt to certain changes withín society in daily life ? Where is the compromise? Exactly. In France's case, it seems that there isn't much compromise from either side yet. It seems to be an all or nothing fight, especially since the values of contemporary France and the values of the Muslim immigrants are diametrically opposed.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Last edited by: vitus979: Sep 10, 04 10:05
Quote Reply
Re: My general view of politics and political threads [Dr. Doom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to jump into the political fight....

I can't believe what William Howard Taft just said. Obviously, he is just a fat pig who doesn't know any better.

There - now I feel ready to vote.
Quote Reply
Re: My general view of politics and political threads [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry Vitus979, didn't personally mean you in terms of seperation. I just wrote it down in general.

But you may believe me, France as much as Germany have compromised in questions like religion, mentality etc. all the time. We never had any restrictions or interfered at all. It's just that the situation has prevalenced, especially in France. Public life should stay public.

In my opinion it is time for a lot of Muslimes to compromise.

If I went to live in China, the first thing I'd do is try and pick up their language, get to know their customs, food, rituals, mentality. Don't misunderstand me, I don't mind our immigrants over here at all, we couldn't do without them, but a lot of the first generation immigrants who live in Germany for 30 years now, still hardly speak German. They have their ethnic group and family and don't care about the rest.

---------------
If you ever want to know what an "eggman" is, then simply click here....http://www.emu5.de
Quote Reply
Re: My general view of politics and political threads [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taft is a god and you have no place to question him! What's next are going to doubt Grant?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought you are atheist! And who is Taft? Here in Germany Taft is a brand name for hair spray .. "All weather taft" ! Ever heard of it? And it's still alive even after 1930!

---------------
Last edited by: think-or-thwim: Sep 12, 04 9:10
Quote Reply

Prev Next