Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Should the word extreme be banned for the English language?
Quote | Reply
I was watching the X Games this weekend (X standing for eXtreme). The BMX jumping guys were doing some pretty cool tricks I must admit but during the commercial break there were ads for Right Guard Extreme Antiperspirant (risk of injuring yourself with this product very low I would guess). The same channel had ads for Extreme Makeover (Sad but not extreme, some people due die during surgery but not enough to earn it an extreme label).

I propose that the use of the word extreme be banned from the English Language for no less than five years to give it a chance to regain some meaning. The word terrorist should also be added to the same list. What other word have been abused to the point of losing all original meaning?
Quote Reply
Re: Should the word extreme be banned for the English language? [Shad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My suggestion is to ban the word AWESOME.

When I lived in the US the word AWESOME was never used . Then I came to back to Phoenix 2 years ago and everything was just AWESOME. At that time I didn't even know the meaning of the word until I looked it up in a dictionary...I knew the word "awful", but wasn't sure if it had anything to do with AWESOME. From the way and situations it was used, and it was used a whole lot, AWESOME must definitely have been something positive.

But anyway, I spent an AWESOME time in Phoenix!
I still wouldn't mind if the word AWESOME was banned for a while, though, because it is being used awfully too often!

---------------
If you ever want to know what an "eggman" is, then simply click here....http://www.emu5.de
Last edited by: think-or-thwim: Sep 7, 04 10:00
Quote Reply
Re: Should the word extreme be banned for the English language? [Shad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes!!! A sport with enough people doing it to have national series of events is no longer extreme, chips and cola cannot be extreme, falling off a bridge with a giant rubber band on your ankles is not extreme.

Just stop the extreme madness!!!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What exactly are we going to replace it with? There will always be some word. Last year, everyone was saying "Epic". We could go back to Rad or Cool or Kickin or Def. Pick one and I'll support it.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Should the word extreme be banned for the English language? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The most frequently used word in American English is F-U-C-K ! I wouldn't have an idea what to replace it with, but I am sure a lot of people, including myself sometimes, would have trouble finding the right words without it! :-)

---------------
If you ever want to know what an "eggman" is, then simply click here....http://www.emu5.de
Last edited by: think-or-thwim: Sep 7, 04 11:29
Quote Reply
Re: Should the word extreme be banned for the English language? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was always partial to "fresh"

Epic is just as horrorific as extreme which is as evil as core or worse "kore". I hate MTV for all this shit.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, the word extreme is extremely annoying. But obviously, the word obviously is even more useless. If it is obvious - why stating it? Are you patronising me?
But words such as actually, indeed and rather are all useless words that people use to come across more pompous - indeed, they are just inflating rather simple sentences.

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Should the word extreme be banned for the English language? [Pluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the most overused, and incorrectly used word listening to ads, commentators etc is "unique", especially when they say something's "very unique". Sorry, but something is unique or it's not - and mostly it's not!!! They don't seem to get that unique is not a relative term, it's absolute!!

And I agree with a prior post - Ban "absolutely" when people mean "yes"!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked out an electronic gizmo, As I asked the sale girl to ring it up, she said definitely - Oh I need a cord -thing -cable - definitely .

As I surfered through the Extended warranty sales pitch.

I almost said , What are you Rain girl ! , Yeah definitely ,,,yeah .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BANNED? Isn't that a bit extreme?

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply