Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Glycerol---Any good?
Quote | Reply
I sweat more than most, which makes it tough to stay hydrated on long workouts/races, particulary when it first turns hot in the South (before the body can acclimate). I know Friel speaks favorably of glycerol as an aid to maintaining hydration in the Training Bible, but I've also heard that the research upon which his comments are based has not been replicated. Does this stuff make a noticeable difference in sweat output? I'm considering trying it on long training rides as it gets warmer, to see if it can help me at Gulf Coast 1/2 IM in May. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Glycerol---Any good? [Tom in AL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The jury still seems to be out. Here's a good objective article: http://www.sportsci.org/...ech/glycerol/rar.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Glycerol---Any good? [2WheelsGood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I also sweat more than others and have had trouble due to cramping (I think electrolyte loss with sweat). I am trying Liguid endurance from Hammer Nutrition for the Ralphs Half this weekend. I'll let you know how it works. I am using a modified loading schedule derived from their recommendations online (http://www.e-caps.com/...e=Liquid%20Endurance). Instead of 3 days before the event I am starting today and dosing with 2TBSP in 24oz H20 4x/day. I am also using a stronger salt tablet concentration than normal in my water botles so it many be hard to determine which approach actually works, if any at all. I typically lose 8-10 lbs in a 1/2 and am worried about my Full IM planned for later this year where I've calculated water loss at 18-20 lbs.

Ross Hoopingarner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Tom,

I actually had an Anaphylactic episode directly caused by the use of glycerol, which of course was made immeasurably worse due to working out shortly after ingestion. Normally, the instruction is to wait two hours or so, I waited about an hour. That doesn't change the fact that I had a reaction to it, but the fact that I was already taxing my respiratory and aerobic system when the shock began diminished the element of fun! It took me almost two weeks to get over all the epi they shot me up with!

Anyway, just a note that it may be problematic for some. Not most, but some.

EB

Quote Reply
Re: Glycerol---Any good? [dotato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of my friends in Hawaii use glycerol, and recommend it highly. I think the magazine "220 Triathlon" also recommened the use of glycerol in hot places. Personally, I am hesitant to try it. I'm wary of "performance enhancing products" that do strange things to your body. I think there is a fuzzy grey gradient between 'legitimate' products, like bars and gel, off-the-shelf potential performance enhancers, like ephidrene, cortisoid (sp) based creams... and banned substances. Maybe I'm being ultra conservative, but I'm not sure where glycerol falls in the spectrum. Any thoughts on the line between race foods and banned substances? Maybe its a lot more black and white than I think...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried it and I can tell you it made me sweat much more than I normally do. I could tell the difference because I usually don't sweat much.

From what I've read, it appears to be very safe to use. One caution I would give though is to experiment with a small amount first, then gradually increase dosage. I started out without measuring it...just sort of dumped some in my water bottle. I can tell you the stuff "flew" right through me. I literally had to sprint home to make it to the bathroom. (Good anerobic workout)

Hope this helps.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: Glycerol---Any good? [chester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would agree it's very fuzzy. One could even argue that if I make better food choices than you that I have an unfair advantage. I think the B&W line can only be drawn with the legal issue. IMO - If the local authorities and the governing race authority don't allow a substance then it crosses the line.

Ross Hoopingarner
Quote Reply
Re: Glycerol---Any good? [chester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Any thoughts on the line between race foods and banned substances? Maybe its a lot more black and white than I think...
It's very black and white in that things on the banned list have very specific amounts that make them illegal, and if you're interested, you can find these things out for yourself. So, in that respect, there is no mystery. Caffeine, for example, is illegal in a specific concentration. Now, probably 99% of the people on this board ingest caffeine. So there is no grey area as long as you know exactly what is banned and in what amounts. Certainly easier said than done. I don't remember what level makes caffeine illegal, but I remember being very surprised at how low it was.
Quote Reply