Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Effect of Altitude
Quote | Reply
I am doing the Utah half IM. It is a relatively flat course at about 4000 ft.

Does anyone have any view on how this altitude will affect me. I live a sea level and will arrive only a day or so early.
Quote Reply
Re: Effect of Altitude [PGPG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Altitude effects everybody differently, but 4000 ft. isn't really "that high." You'll probably be just fine, but be sure to drink enough since dehydration occurs more quickly at higher altitudes.

Good
Quote Reply
Re: Effect of Altitude [Dominic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not that easy actually...effects of altitude is extremely individual...some studies report a significantly lower Vo2max at only 2000ft.

a rule of thumb (same studies) is a 3% loss every 1500ft. at 4500ft people lose on avg 9% of Vo2max.

that said, some are just fine at 5000ft, some struggle seriously more...some other researchers studied who were the people more affected, but I don't remember their results.
Quote Reply
Re: Effect of Altitude [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois

I would suspect that there would be a small decrement in your VO2 max but it shouldn't matter. If it were a sprint race that you were going to be doing at 90% of your VO2 max, you might see a significant decrement, but for a 1/2 it is probably no big deal. You might actually benefit on the bike from lower wind resistance. I wouldn't worry about it.

Mike P.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Re: Effect of Altitude [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my experience (I live at 4500ft) is that indeed on the bike the lower air resistance compensate for the lack of O2.
However, the air resistance is not really important on the run (or in the water :-) ) and therefore does not compensate for the lack of O2.
I consistently run 15'' slower per mile over here...
and my Vo2 tests are about 5-6% lower than at sea level.
that said, I have pretty strong asthma, the air is very dry here so it does not help breathing.
as soon as I get to sea level I feel WAY better.

even at submaximal intensities it is an issue as you are using a higher percentage of Vo2max for the same intensity.
Quote Reply
Re: Effect of Altitude [PGPG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think 4000' is a big deal. When I used to nordic ski, we considered 5000' "altitude", and would try to get there at least 10 days early to acclimate. The other theory I heard back then was to arrive the night before. I don't remember the reasoning behind this... Stay hydrated, drink lots on the plane, too.
Quote Reply
Reference... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
European Journal of Applied Physiology and Occupational Physiology
ISSN: 0301-5548 (printed version)
ISSN: 1432-1025 (electronic version)

Table of Contents

Abstract Volume 75 Issue 2 (1997) pp 136-143

Reduced performance of male and female athletes at 580 m altitude
C. J. Gore (1), S. C. Little (2), A. G. Hahn (3), G. C. Scroop (2), K. I. Norton (4), P. C. Bourdon (5), S. M. Woolford (5), J. D. Buckley (4), T. Stanef (5), D. P. Campbell (3), D. B. Watson (6), D. L. Emonson (6)

(1) Australian Institute of Sport, PO Box 21, Henley Beach, South Australia 5022, Australia
(2) Exercise Physiology Unit, The University of Adelaide, GPO Box 498, Adelaide, South Australia 5001, Australia
(3) Centre for Sport Science and Medicine, Australian Institute of Sport, PO Box 76, Belconnen, Australian Capital Territory 2616, Australia
(4) School of Physical Education, Exercise and Sport Science, University of South Australia, Underdale Campus, Holbrooks Rd, Underdale, South Australia 5032, Australia
(5) South Australian Sports Institute, PO Box 219, Brooklyn Park South Australia 5032, Australia
(6) Institute of Aviation Medicine, RAAF Base Edinburgh, Salisbury South Australia 5111, Australia

Accepted: 30 July 1996

Abstract This study examined the effect of mild hypobaria (MH) on the peak oxygen consumption (<$>\dot V<$>O2peak) and performance of ten trained male athletes [<$>\bar x<$> (SEM); <$>\dot V<$>O2peak = 72.4 (2.2) ml · kg-1 · min-1] and ten trained female athletes [<$>\dot V<$>O2peak = 60.8 (2.1) ml · kg-1 · min-1]. Subjects performed 5-min maximal work tests on a cycle ergometer within a hypobaric chamber at both normobaria (N, 99.33 kPa) and at MH (92.66 kPa), using a counter-balanced design. MH was equivalent to 580 m altitude. <$>\dot V<$>O2peak at MH decreased significantly compared with N in both men [- 5.9 (0.9)%] and women [- 3.7 (1.0)%]. Performance (total kJ) at MH was also reduced significantly in men [- 3.6 (0.8)%] and women [- 3.8 (1.2)%]. Arterial oxyhaemoglobin saturation (SaO2) at <$>\dot V<$>O2peak was significantly lower at MH compared with N in both men [90.1 (0.6)% versus 92.0 (0.6)%] and women [89.7 (3.1)% versus 92.1 (3.0)%]. While SaO2 at <$>\dot {V}<$>O2peak was not different between men and women, it was concluded that relative, rather than absolute, <$>\dot V<$>O2peak may be a more appropriate predictor of exercise-induced hypoxaemia. For men and women, it was calculated that 67-76% of the decrease in <$>\dot V<$>O2peak could be accounted for by a decrease in O2 delivery, which indicates that reduced O2 tension at mild altitude (580 m) leads to impairment of exercise performance in a maximal work bout lasting \approx 5 min.

can find these at
http://link.springer-ny.com/search.htm
doing a search on altitude, performance etc...
lots of info.
Quote Reply
Re: Reference... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois

I don't think that this study is relevant to your situation. It is a 5 minute maximal work test on a cycle ergometer. Because it is a maximal work test, they were performing at their VO2 max. Therefore you would expect even a 1-2% decrement in VO2 max would hinder performance in this case. I don't believe that this is the case for an endurance event like a 1/2 IM.

Even though you will be working at a higher % of your VO2 max because of the altitude, your muscular effort will be the same. The same muscle fibers will be recruited and their metabolic function should not be negatively impacted at lower intensity levels. I would suspect that you wouldn't exceed 80% of your VO2 max for a 1/2 IM. If you were pushing 90% + I would expect a small decrement. However at 80%, oxygen loading onto hemaglobin and oxygen saturation should not be a limiting factor at 4000 feet. I don't think that the combination of altitude and intensity level are enough to push otherwise aerobic muscles into anaerobic metabolism.

Mike P.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Re: Reference... [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suggest you move to 4500ft just to try it...
everyone coming here is way slower on the run that at sea level.
time standards in swimming and running are adjusted downward from 3000ft and above. there has to be a reason.
regardless of the intensity, if your vo2max is lower, your pace is slower at all intensities.
the ex. physio group here has been working on this as well, and they came to the same conclusion.

I will do my endurance runs here at 7/mi to 7'15''/mi and will do the same runs 15'' faster per mi at sea level.

I could think I feel it more because I have asthma, however, many athletes here (and there is a bunch of pretty fast runners, like sub-30' 10km runners)
are definitely running slower here.

I don't understand your explanation on %vo2 etc...
if your Vo2 is lower, given that in a given state of conditioning, you can sustain only x% of Vo2max for some PE, if your Vo2max is lower, the pace will be lower as well, unless you improve your conditioning and can sustain a higher % of Vo2max.
Quote Reply
Re: Reference... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois

Perhaps your 1/2 IM times would be slower. I don't think it would be predictable based on the research data though. At your level of performance, I would expect more of a decrement in performance (because you can sustain a much higher % of your VO2 max on an endurance run) than the average age grouper.

However, you might find that the limiting factors in performance on a training endurance run and those that limit performance in a 13.1 mile run after a bike might be different. You are clearly experiencing a decrement in performance (15 sec slower per mile) at this altitude and that is probably related to you being able to maintain such a high % of your VO2 max on endurance runs. After a bike, you might find that your pace is determined primarily by leg fatigue, rather than cardiovascular and aerobic power. Who knows.

The essential question is "are your muscles going to experience reduced oxygen delivery?" The answer seems to be "Yes" for your training runs. If your 1/2 IM pace is slower than your training runs, perhaps your cardiovascular output can compensate and oxygen delivery wouldn't be compromised. If they are at the same pace or faster, than you will probably see a decrement. Just a hunch. I guess you will find out come race day.

Mike P.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok, get it. so a half marathon may be slower as o2 may be a limiting factor, but off the bike then O2 is not as much a limiting factor as loss of strength, therefore, it may not matter that much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
altitude has significant effects other than just oxygen delivery. the hormonal milieu changes dramatically, influencing the rates of glycolysis and substrate utilization. these and other things could certainly influence half ironman performance. i would agree that at the given altitude, reduced resistance on the bike probably makes it a wash, or might even be advantageous. many cyclists have gone to altitude to set the hour record. however, on the run and swim, there should be a decline in performance at moderate altitude like 4000-5000 feet.
Quote Reply
Re: Reference... [brentl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brentl

It depends on what you mean by "performance." I can bench press just as much at 10,000 feet as I can at sea level but my aerobic power would be less. Some things are negatively impacted, some are not. At moderate altitudes, sprint performance and other events like the long jump are enhanced. "Performance" is too broad a term to have much meaning in this context.

Not a criticism, just an observation.

Mike

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think my post was pretty specific to half ironman performance and referred to performance in that context. any enhancement of sprint and jump performance due to altitude is a function of the physics of reduced air resistance. altitude actually lowers maximal rates of glycolysis. we can certainly separate out the effect of altitude on different functional capabilities. but again, looking back at my post, i referred to half ironman, and swim and run in that context, so i don't see much confusion.
Quote Reply