Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bad Long Run
Quote | Reply
Anyone experience a REALLY bad long run day? I had mine yesterday. I am training for a fall marathon with a group and yesterday we were slated to run 18 miles. I felt OK in the beginning. My side and stomach started cramping but I was able to run and keep pace with the group. By mile 9, I was feeling like I need to stop. At mile 9.5, we stopped at the water fountain and refilled our bottles and I took in 8oz of water and gatorade endurace mix. It all went downhill. I started feeling nauseous. By mile 11, I was ready to quit and decided to bag it and head home since I don't think I could have hung in there for another 7 miles. It was a point to point run, so I had to take the train back to where we started. In the train, I felt even sicker. I threw up. It was a BAD.

I know runners have bad run days. WHY does it have to be on a long run, especially on a 18 miler day where I really need the mileage? Next week is a 20 mile run, I am really not looking forward to it based on what happened yesterday.

Several things I changed on last Saturday:
Didn't eat pasta, had rice instead
Change my drink from regular gatorade to gatorade endurace (people say gatorade endurace is better for the stomach)
Humidity was relatively low (It's DC, it is always humid but I have had good runs when it was 100% humidity).
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Long Run [Twilight_Chicka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t stress about it, it will be fine next time. Sorry I can’t help much I don’t understand the measurements that you use. I am sure it was just a bad day. If you have trained previously and have built up then it will come good for your next big run. I think you should drink what you train with but I am no expert.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Long Run [pine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Pine. I think I am beating myself too much on what happened yesterday. The last 17 mile run was great, finished strong and negative split. I really need to look at what I am eating. I have been feeling nauseous lately...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure most of us have had our fair share of bad runs. Maybe you are catching something? I hope you are able to give your body rest so that it will be good and strong for next weeks run. Don't worry too much about the twenty miler just take it one step at a time. Literally!

I had an awfully slow run yesterday which I've equated to a lousy run. I was so tired I was more or less running with my eyes half closed. I was also running at a pace that was at least an hour slower than my marathon time. While running my friend asked me to tell her some stories (I'm usually full of stories to tell). I had to tell her that my mind was too busy telling another part of my mind that I was going to finish this run, that even though it was an awful run I may have a run like this at IMC in three weeks so I needed to suck it up and deal. So needless to say she understood why the stories weren't flowing.

Thankfully I DID finish the run and managed to cook up a great breakfast to follow.

Keep at it and know that it is pretty common to have bad run in training. Hopefully the bad stuff will stay away on race day.

K

---------------------------------------------------------------

"There's good all around you, you just have to be able to see it".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man, have I had some bad runs!!! Some days are just like that.....your next run will be better.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Long Run [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's all part of the game... if we always had great runs we wouldn't appreciate them nearly as much...

At least you ran as far as you did- I had an awful 30 MINUTE run this AM...haha

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't like gatorade endurance at all. If the normal gatorade works for you, stick with that!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a very similar bad long run a few weeks ago - just miserable the last few miles and had to quit early. After the run, I couldn't get comfortable, couldn't eat, couldn't cool down or stretch properly and ending up vomiting.

The good news is, it made me realize I needed a day off and the next week, my long run was awesome!

I don't know what caused it, but I think sometimes our body just has to tell us that today isn't the day for whatever we had planned.
Just put it behind you (but it's good that you've analyzed your nutrition routine a little) and rest up for the next one. Even if that one isn't great, they will get better soon. Like everyone has said - we take the good runs for granted until we have a bad one!
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Long Run [td] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you ladies for your replies. I haven't been feeling these past 2 weeks. I was feeling crappy at a half marathon 2 weeks ago and had a PR race. After the half marathon, I was feeling even crappier. I skipped a few early morning swims for more sleep.

I am going to schedule a massage sometime this week to treat myself. Maybe that will do the trick. I am going to go back to regular gatorade for this Sunday's run and see if that was the cause.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmm, nauseated....any signs of pregnancy? Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Okay so I don't know your situation, but it really could be what you're eating or a little bug you've caught that is low level but sticking aroudn a while.

Try not to beat yourself up, each run is different and one bad run doesn't mean that all the rest will be just as tough.
Last edited by: siobhan: Aug 4, 08 11:27
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Long Run [siobhan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely not pregnancy. At first, that was what my husband suspected, but EPT shows negative. My husband tells me he has been feeling well lately, nauseous as well. Since we don't eat out often, it could've been the food that I cook. I am going to get some clorox and clean the fridge and countertop to avoid any bacteria that may have caused the bug.

I have been feeling better about yesterday's run after reading these replies. Definitely helped a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what did you eat for breakfast? i usually eat eggs/toast and then for races have oatmeal, then yesterday decided that for a race, instead of eating something i never do unless i'm racing (oatmeal), i'd just try going off eggs/toast--and had a fantastic day.

maybe it was what you ate the night before/in the AM.

also, your runs aren't going to be amazing, few are, and we hope that on race day, that'll be the day. save that great day for the day of your marathon--and training days are just that--training. working towards a goal. also don't feel bad about stopping early, we've all done it. it does you no good to stick through a shitty day and then just feel shitty (training/bodywise, it's just not smart!).

maybe you need a day off? a rest day?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 bad run won't kill your marathon. When I was training for IMAZ I started a 2:30 long run and got 1/2 mile into it. I felt like I was bonking already (I had had a killer ride the day before, didn't eat enough or get enough sleep). I walked back to my car and went home, ate and slept, thinking I'd run later in the day. I tried to run again later and never got out the door. I skipped the long run that weekend and it didn't kill me.

Gatorade Endurance has more salt than gatorade, salt makes some people sick, so I wouldn't say it's better for the stomach.

Don't worry about it. Next week, you'll be fine. Even doing the 20 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Long Run [bostonhopeful] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My usual breakfast menu is a banana and a cup of coffee before the run. A Gu generally at mile 6 or 7 and another one at mile 12-13 if the run is more than 13 miles.

Maybe I should stick to regular pasta with tomato sauce on Saturday night and not change a thing from now until race day. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Long Run [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the scoop. I did 8 miles this morning and felt OK. Nausea feeling is still there though... I can't wait to get this "bug" out of my system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently had mild nausea for about 10 days following a bout with food poisoning. Ginger pills weren't working. I finally started taking digestive enzymes and probiotic pills, and the nausea (and ability to get in real workouts) went away overnight. You could have gotten a mild bug that is still inhibiting your digestion; if it is making you nauseous, it also might be interfering with absorption of critical nutrients. In any case probiotics (or just eating lots of yogurt) cannot do any harm.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad Long Run [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am willing to try anything at this point. I am going to see if I can get the probiotic pills at CVS. Thanks for the tip!!
Quote Reply