Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Knee position while riding
Quote | Reply
Excerpt from Dan's Q&A with John Cobb elsewhere on this site:

DAN EMPFIELD: It sounds to me like it's a good thing to keep the wind out of the area between the rider's legs. This brings to mind a trait that I've noticed with good timed racers—that their knees are always close to the top tube all the way around the pedal circle. They ride sort of knock-kneed. It seems to me that this is not only a good habit as far as aerodynamics are concerned, but it also may help isolate one's vastus medialis––that muscle just above the kneecap that good cyclists seem to develop.

JOHN COBB: Yes, we've tested different leg positions during the pedal stroke. This makes a big difference. You know, it's taken as a given that a rider represents 80 percent of the drag, and the equipment is the other 20 percent. But I think we can get a rider's position such that it may be only 50 percent of the drag. That way you describe the knee position, that's the sort of technique that makes a rider's drag disappear. Once we can accomplish that, then the importance of his equipment starts to again become the chief concern.

--------------------------------------------------

My question is, how many people focus on riding with their knees in this position? Have you noticed a big difference in doing this? The numbers mentioned above are pretty astounding, and would potentially dwarf gains from aero wheels or other such enhancements. What's the best way to train this- riding on the trainer in front of a mirror? Anyone have any data quantifying improvements from this change? Sorry for the barage of questions, but I just re-read this article and this really jumped out at me. I don't know why I didn't catch this the first time.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee position while riding [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always ride with my knees as close to the top tube as possible. I don't think you want to over do it thought. For example if your ankles are pointing out and toes in, that can lead to strain on the knee ligaments and an overuse injury. So, feet straight, knees tucked close. I do this because an experienced rider told me not to let my knees flare out when I was first learning to ride. All the experienced road racers I know ride this way.

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Knee position while riding [aduncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't flare my knees while riding, but I also don't conciously pull them in to the top tube. I would say they are pretty much over the pedals. Given that I ride a triple, this is potentially a somewhat wider knee to knee position than some. I guess my question is- should I be consciously working to ride with knees somewhat pointed in, or am I asking for trouble doing this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do. Just don't create a knee injury by doing something awkward. I don't think it's as exaggerated as you may be thinking. It's pretty easy to do.

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always try to ride with my knees close together. I do this only because I have read this is proper technique. I have never done any tests on this.

I try to ride with my knees barely touching the top tube. This is easy to do actually because you get a tactile feedback as you go along. When I find my knees getting further apart, I visualize pushing my heels out slightly. The knees then tuck in easily. I often look at my feet when I am doing this. I can't visually see any actual deflection of the heel. If there actually is any, it is insignificant. I have Speedplay pedals which have lots of float. It may be that the large amount of float helps. I have never tested that theory since I have always used these pedals.
Quote Reply