Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The problems in America today boil down to bad parenting...
Quote | Reply

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: The problems in America today boil down to bad parenting... [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good one, Cousin Elwood :-)) and with some truth in it! Wouldn't allow myself to say that for America, but for Germany I can agree.

But it's not only and always bad parenting......a duck can't recognize the danger which is put in its way, mother duck doesn't understand that she shouldn't cross this specific part of the road.....I think that is the other side of it, too!

---------------
If you ever want to know what an "eggman" is, then simply click here....http://www.emu5.de
Last edited by: think-or-thwim: Sep 3, 04 1:43
Quote Reply
Re: The problems in America today boil down to bad parenting... [think-or-thwim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, now THAT is the part of the environment we should be taking care to fix. The plastic six-pack holders and the like that get around the necks of birds or other man-made hazards to wildlife. And I don't mean we shouldn't cut down trees to build things, we should just clean up after ourselves. It disgusts me when I see where people have emptied their car's ash tray in public or just left empty bottles and cans by the side of the road.

Quote Reply
Re: The problems in America today boil down to bad parenting... [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We don't have those plastic 6pack holders here in GER, but plenty of plastic bags when you go shopping, while you have those paperbags. But isn't littering being highly fined in the US?
I remember the campaign "litterbugs" to pay at least $500 is caught littering. That was in the 70s in Arizona. Doesn't it still exist?

Some people throw loads of garbage into our forests in the bushes. I could get sooo mad when I see all the crap laying there. Undefineable canisters full of liqid of whatever, old furniture, fridges, car tires, etc. It really drives me nuts!
But since we get money back for cans (we also pay refund when we buy drinks in cans) people here don't throw cans away any more....it wouild be money thrown in the bushes.

---------------
If you ever want to know what an "eggman" is, then simply click here....http://www.emu5.de
Quote Reply
Re: The problems in America today boil down to bad parenting... [think-or-thwim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"We don't have those plastic 6pack holders here in GER, but plenty of plastic bags when you go shopping, while you have those paperbags. But isn't littering being highly fined in the US?"
- - Actually, a lot of the plastic supermarket bags is because people here object to the cutting of trees (renewable resource) so plastic bags are somehow better? And they tip over in the car and don't pack well.

"I remember the campaign "litterbugs" to pay at least $500 is caught littering. That was in the 70s in Arizona. Doesn't it still exist?"
- - The laws are still there, they just don't get enforced. A while back I gave some guy the evil eye for dumping his ash tray out in a parking lot, and he gave me serious $hit, asked if I wanted my @ss kicked. So I walked over and explained that a) what he was doing carried a major fine and that I had made note of his license plate and b) I train 20 hours a week and bench press 300 lbs, c) c'mon junior, make my f-ing day...

"Some people throw loads of garbage into our forests in the bushes. I could get sooo mad when I see all the crap laying there. Undefineable canisters full of liqid of whatever, old furniture, fridges, car tires, etc. It really drives me nuts!"
- - You 'n' me both, except for me it's walking distance.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This picture is a metaphor (You do know what a metaphor is, don't you?)* for the truth.

1. The ducklings are being led by momma. Poppa is nowhere in sight. There are too many single parent, female head of household families in the US today. Result, kids living in poverty and getting in trouble.

2. The parent is leading the children into danger. Parents in the US are doing the same to their kids by setting bad examples--smoking, being fat, being lazy, not getting an education, living off welfare and teaching their kids to do the same, teaching kids to disrespect elders and authority, covering up for them when they do wrong, etc.

*Extra credit question--Who asked this question and to whom was it asked?
Quote Reply
Re: The problems in America today boil down to bad parenting... [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One out of five made it, and that ain't bad!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Casey [ In reply to ]
Re: The problems in America today boil down to bad parenting... [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is amazing how so many people have these stories. Who are these people? I just got back from Whidbey Island WA (which I loved) but running on the beach I was amazed, ok not really;( , and disappointed at the crap I found on the beach. I walked through the parking log of my health club this week where someone left there fast food bag on the ground!

The best was one time I was returning to Denver from a MTB bike race in the mountains and we stopped at one of our favorite places in Empire to get soft ice cream and while in this little place there is a guy who just annoyed the crap out of me. He just radiated ahole waves. So we get in the car at the same time and join the parking lot that is I70 on Sunday and he is behind me weaving and just driving like a tourist jerk in his rental car. As we roll down the road a ways he pulls over to the shoulder and I watch him in my mirror get out of the car, unload all there trash, get back in and drive away! I could have beat him and had it not been for my girlfriend I would have drove up next to him and cussed him and his family out.

Elwood, I agree, we just need to clean up our mess, but based on the mess my fellow employess leave in the kitchen at work I don't hold much hope for the globe;)
Quote Reply
Re: The problems in America today boil down to bad parenting... [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's classic!

"It's only garbage." --> WTF is that supposed to be... some kind of excuse? If someone throws a bag of hit on the door of your house, is it okay that it's "only shit?"

"I didn't want to get out of the car." --> How f*cking lazy are people? It take 10 seconds (if that) to get out of your car and throw trash away.

Sometimes I hate people. :)

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: The problems in America today boil down to bad parenting... [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Sometimes I hate people. :)"

I always hate people. It makes it easier to kill 'em...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"It's hard to beat that kind of common sense."

...or arrogance. You would think the bitch would have been embarrased and taken the napkin back. She'd have probably tossed it out the window as soon as she was around the next corner.

I really hate the smokers who don't realize that their cigarette butts don't biodegrade. Just stamp it out on the sidewalk or toss it out the car window. Here in CA, that's the leading cause of wildfires.

Quote Reply
Re: The problems in America today boil down to bad parenting... [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't think as far as point 1 because that is natural behavior of ducks. As far as I know, poppa doesn't take care of the kids, whileas momma does it all. It's because once they hatch, they follow the first "anything" that moves (even if it was a ball rolling across their way as the first thing they see) and that is usually momma, who sits on the eggs to warm them.

Of course, point 2 is the message, but there is also the other side, where society doesn't prevent certain potential accidents. I mean good example is Cousin Elwoods plastic 6pack can holder. Animals can't recognize this as something dangerous. They get trapped. If it wasn't there, nothing would have happened.

Many accidents with kids happen on dangerous road crossings which aren't well secured . You may teach your kids perfect behavior, how to cross a street....a road crossing traffic light is somestimes only put at dangerous spots, after the first accident had happened. Not before !

---------------
Last edited by: think-or-thwim: Sep 3, 04 9:26
Quote Reply