Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Just did my 1st women's only tri today - is it fair to exclude? [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just about to post the same thing, thank you!

Women are posting on a women's triathlon forum that they don't understand why there is a need for an all women's triathlon. Frankly, I'm stumped.
Quote Reply
Re: Just did my 1st women's only tri today - is it fair to exclude? [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last night when I first read the thread, I thought, I don't need an all women's triathlon (I actually prefer racing (and beating) guys), but I can see how some women would certainly prefer it. I don't need a women's forum, but I've been a lot more active since there is one, and have gotten to know more of the womens too. So I decided the comraderie is the reason for the womens forum.

I remember seeing a post a long time ago about a triathlon where it was women's one day and men's the next day. I think that is a great idea, it allows for spouses with kids to both race and cheer for each other. Or even both on the same day to keep logistics easier.
Quote Reply
Re: Just did my 1st women's only tri today - is it fair to exclude? [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Women are posting on a women's triathlon forum that they don't understand why there is a need for an all women's triathlon. Frankly, I'm stumped. <<

Not much to be stumped about. It's our opinion.

One tri club here used to be women only and very beginner focused. It's now coed, but still pretty beginner focused. Women are still flocking to it, even though those big bad men join too. I've seen with my own eyes, that it's more important to be BEGINNER friendly (for both sexes) than women only.

Again, that is MY experience and MY opinion.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Just did my 1st women's only tri today - is it fair to exclude? [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I know the need was there years ago, I remember how brutal some folks could be to newbies, I haven't been a n00b in so long I have no idea if this still happens to the degree it used to.... But to me it's more about newbies than newbie chicks. Know what I mean?

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I caught the irony also.....
Quote Reply
Re: Just did my 1st women's only tri today - is it fair to exclude? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't mind that there are women only tris, although I have no interest in doing one. If some men decided they wanted to have a men's only tri I would be fine with that too.
Sadly however, this would be considered discrimination, unlike the women's only tri. I do wonder though if a guy pitched a bitch (hahah) if he could get into the women's only tri based on discrimination? I guess this wouldn't happen as that guy would be considered a "wuss" or worse.
Last edited by: fitzie: Jul 29, 08 6:43
Quote Reply
Re: Just did my 1st women's only tri today - is it fair to exclude? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like being in races with men - but there seem to be a number of women (maybe especially newbies?) who are intimidated. But that has been said already...

Mostly I can see all the points different people have made as being valid!

Funny at a race expo recently, there was an all womens training team there. Even though I am mostly in the back of my team training rides or runs, and in the slow lane at Masters, mostly with other women, I have zero interest in joining an all-womens team.

Here's something that would only happen at an all-womens races though: I've talked my 73 year old mother and younger sister who has not ridden a bike in over 10 years to do the NY Danskin race with me as a relay. (mom will walk, me swim, sis bike). It's gotten my mother walking more, and my sister out there much more then she ever had been. Something they hopefully will continue doing!

Now that is something I'll probably have to write a race report for, with contributions from them. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first tri was a women's only tri (Danskin event). I had never considered doing a tri but had done a lot of running and my sister in law talked me into it and I thought it would be good cross training. That was 10 years ago so tri's were not as common place as they are now. I had a blast and was hooked. However, it was the experience of doing the tri; not that it was a women's only tri that got me hooked. I like the fact that there are now more events geared towards beginners and I love to volunteer at these events. A positive experience for newbies goes a long way in making sure they return for more whether they be male or female.
Quote Reply

Prev Next