Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 7/21/08
Quote | Reply
Here we go again. This thread allows you to brag about how great your week was (or confess up on how bad your week was). Tell us the good and the bad and what you're going to do differently this week to turn things around. Here's mine:
  • From a workout perspective, I had a horrible week. Didn't work out at all. I missed my Monday run (due to travelling on vacation) and then injured my leg on Tuesday to the point where I was having trouble even walking. It took the rest of the week to sort that out. I'm not even sure how I did it - I just woke up in the middle of the night in massive pain. Strange. Then, it just worked itself out.
  • From a fun week perspective, I did great. We were on vacation and had a really great time. Spent 4 days in Quebec City and loved every second of it. What a wonderful city! We were there for their summer festival so we got to hear some great concerts (Great Big Sea!! Woo Hoo!!) and spent lots of time in the old city. Then we went down the St. Lawrence a bit more to a resort in La Malbaie. Really beautiful part of the country. I had no idea that Quebec was so pretty. Went whale watching one day and saw over 30 whales including tons of Belugas (some with their babies!). On the way home spent one night in Montreal - just enough to know that I want to go back. Great vacation, so that makes up for the messed up week I had with my workouts.
  • From an eating perspective, we ate in restaurants for almost 2 weeks. Yikes! But, I did ok and didn't gain any weight at all when I got home.

This week:
  • Gotta get back to my workouts. Run today to see how the leg is feeling and then we'll go from there.
  • Gotta get more serious about my weight loss, so I'm starting a food journal again. I hate doing that, but it's the best thing I can do to lose weight. When I write down my food, I always lose weight. I'm not losing enough just winging it, so I have to do it this way.

Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 7/21/08 [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you enjoyed your vacation! I'd love to go whale watching.

Goals from LAST WEEK - July 13 - 19
* Run Training - pick up the run volume and intensity as it could use some work
DONE - had a great hill repeat workout and a SOLID 16K run that felt effortless.

* Eat way better then last week - which shouldn't be a problem as I do NOT want to see that much crappy food again!
NOT DONE. Had a couple good days but the bad certainly overrode the good. Ooops. I love food just way too damn much!

* Do all planned workouts and a ride in the Gats.
Done (for the most part) I skipped my workouts on Friday as it was a crapola day.
Gatineau Ride - OMG, it was FANTASTIC. Love every minute of the hill climbing in the park. Saw a Momma dear and her little one and A BEAR! Lovely ride.

THIS WEEK - July 21-27

1) Work on attitude. Had some issues w/ body sizing and ability at the club ride on Thursday. Everyone there has stick leg/arms and no fat. I.Do.Not. Got me some belly fat, big (muscular) legs and felt huge compared to everyone else. It stuck w/ my for my crappy ride and into the next day. It really bothered me and it shouldn't but your mind is strong when it gets stuck on an issue!

2) Keep up the workouts. Right now, they are clicking along wonderfully. And I am LOVING them.

3) Long Ride - My goal is to ride 150K on Sunday. I am looking forward to it! Hopefully can find someone to go on part of it, if not, it's SOLO Ride time.

Good luck to all this week.

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a weird leg pain like that last year. Excruciating, then resolved itself the next day. Bizarre.

Last week:
Race twice on the track. Vineman 70.3 on Sunday--goal is to just finish considering I've done no swimming in 4 weeks and very little running.

Did race twice on the track and Wednesday, had probably the best night of racing that I've ever had. Ended up sick on the weekend and didn't race Vineman, which I'm bummed about.

For this week: Clean up nutrition. Get back to writing it all down and go to the store and get some decent food in the house. Take my lunch at least 3 days. Workout-wise, it's a wait and see week as I have to call about jury duty which may begin tomorrow, so that may mess up the track schedule. Need to also get back to running, at least 3 days this week.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny how sometimes weird physical things just appear then leave... hopefully that is, they leave. And it's good to at least have fun goals met! (as in, maybe not such a good week training-wise but a great one fun-wise!)

Mine hasn't left yet, unfortunately. Last week I didn't mention this but one knee TOTALLY swelled up on Monday, last week. Two weeks before that I had fallen, when running. Nasty bloody things on my knees but only a little bruising, so a few days later I was biking & running again. All seemed fine. Continued, then BAM on Monday the swelling came - almost like a grapefruit! :-( Doctor on Tuesday said it was just fluid, the running/biking irritated it, and I guess the last long bikeride I did the day before was the tipping point sort of. So I had been aggravating it all along. But luckily he also said it's temporary... Almost now all better but not quite.

So I had to pull out of the NY Tri and did no biking or running. POO. But I swam four times! And given the HEAT and jellyfish I may not be all that sorry I missed the race, now I just am trying to find a "replacement" one.

I'm feeling a little pissy but then again it's only temporary so that's good. I am also not sure when to bike/run again, I will wait another couple days. I hope I don't aggravate it again. The only other bad thing is due to this almost-2-week break and an earlier 2-month break from running due to a broken toe I may not be able to do the full half-iron race in Auugust, not enough run training for it! But oh well, again, that's life. (and I did a half last year, basically "completing" not "competing" so there's no need in my mind to do that again...) Maybe this way I'll have a bunch of shorter harder training rides/runs from now on and really race hard in my 3 last shorter races?

Eating okay. Still not losing but maintaining. Will probably start keeping some kind of food journal. Thanks for the idea of that, I always forget about it.

This week, 2 bikes, 2 runs, 4-5 swims. I hope!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this week was okay for me. bought a new road bike so am psyched to get it and set it up and try it out. did a sprint tri here in Ohio which went well. been running and biking and trying to eat fresher. also swam 2x in the pool. weight work with the trainer 2x this week. got together with the bike coach and he gave me some pointers on the hills down in the valley one evening. that was fun but tough. seeing the doc tomorrow about the whole psoas thing on the left side. all in all, steady as she goes. i have a hilly 50 miles scheduled for Sunday. should be fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week was nuts... root canal and race in the same week.

Monday morning had solid brick workout and was feeling strong. Monday afternoon I went to the dentist. Had a cavity that "might" need a root canal. As the dentist drilled right into the nerve of the tooth, "might" turned into need a root canal asap.

Tuesday- laid in bed and felt sorry for myself.

Wednesday = ROOT CANAL. Ouch! I've added to my list of HEALTH PROFESSIONALS WHO LIE ABOUT PAIN (from first hand experience). #1) midwife: natural childbirth = pain; #2) plastic surgeon: abdominoplasty=pain; #3) endodontist: root canal=pain. LIARS LIARS PANTS ON FIRE!

Thursday decided to stop feeling sorry for myself. Did the same brick workout as Monday, only faster. Gettin' the rage out and embracing the pain.

Friday. Went on a 8 mile run, which is usually no big deal but it was a super hot, humid, ozone action day. And my tooth hurt. So it drained me. Then I hit the pool to test out some new goggles before my race on Sunday-- 1500m swim.

Saturday. Off. Legs sore from hot run. Tooth hurt.

Sunday- race day. Oly tri. Stated goal, anything under 3 hours. ACTUAL time: 3:01:07. DAMNIT! So annoying to miss the goal by a minute. Grrrrrrrrrr. Plus, tooth still hurts.

I guess the good news is that since I can't really eat with out pain (they fill and crown the tooth this Wed) I lost a pound.

-Sarah
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 7/21/08 [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ow! Ow! Ow! What a tough week!! I can't believe you did any kind of workouts at all let alone the tough ones you did PLUS an Oly race! Way to go!! I haven't needed a root canal (yet), but I did have my wisdom teeth removed and it hurt way more than they said it would. The actual procedure was a piece of cake because I was gassed up, but the recovery over the next couple of days was very painful. And, I'm not a wuss with pain either (2 natural childbirths can attest to that).

Hope the pain is subsiding a bit. This week is bound to be better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get my runner across the finish line at the Badwater 135: A+++! She even buckled (came in under 48 hours) Walked 20 miles with her, sat in 115+ degree air temp to give her water and slept 6 hours out of 42. I was happy to be home!

Eat OK while traveling: Not too bad. Last year I put on 3lbs during this week and this year I came back 1lb heavier. I always gain weight when I travel.

I need to start back with the weekly goals so here goes:

1. Get appt. with sports med doc to check out my knee.
2. Get off my butt and do workouts:

Swim 60' Monday
Run 30' Tuesday
Ride 60' Wed
Run 30' Thurs
OW Swim Friday
Run 60' Saturday

3. Drop 1lb

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 7/21/08 [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty ok week:

Swim: went to practice Sunday and felt good when my coach told me I should be a lot faster than I am. Yes I was happy because he sees potential
Ride: rode to work 3 days, rode to and from swim practice
Run: short runs in the AM before work, quick 8 miler on Sat and felt great!
Nutrition: fair but better than previous weeks.

Overall a pretty good week, looking to improve even more this week!

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TWO natural childbirths?!? Wow. I have an only child. Once was all I could take.

Thanks for the encouragement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sad to hear about everyone injuries, illness, and mean dentists. I hope everyone is on the mend and will be 100% soon!

Last Weeks goals-
1) Have a fun race at Racine. Focus on IM pacing and nutrition and no walking on the run (except for aid stations). I give myself a B-. I did have a 15 minute PR with a time of 6:05:33 but it wasn't all fun and games. I had a great swim despite the 55 degree water (thank god for neoprene booties and hoods). T1 was ok. It was a bit slow but I did help a poor rackmate strip her wetsuit as she was super stuck. The bike is were things went a mess. I was miserable from the minute I got on my bike. I couldn't get comfortable. Added to that was the fact everyone in the entire race passed me. At least it felt that way. My computer on my bike broke so I had no idea where I was or how was doing. My aerodrink fell off and I have to go retrieve it as it was my main source of nutrition. By mile 20 I was wanting to run which is ridiculous cause I hate to run. When I realized I wasn't going to break 3 hours, I cried. I never had my head in the game. After a very painful time on the bike, I was off on the run and enjoyed every minute of. I ran strong, never had to walk except for the super short aid stations, passed a ton of folks who kicked my ass on the bike, and had about a 10 minute HIM run PR. Maybe I should stop hating running so much.

2) Learn how to put my race wheels, new brake pads, and gear (tubular tire) on the bike for the race. -- Well I did all of the above and it only cost me $280.00. I was given a lesson on tubular tire installation by YCBG Matt at GetAGrip cycles. Installed my brake pads all but myself. And put on the race wheels which is where the problem began. So I got all setup, and took the bike out for a pre-race ride. I notice I had a ton of brake rubbing. Knowing I might have to adjust the calipers due to the different wheels, I made that change. But still rubbing. I assumed I needed to adjust the cables but had no clue on how to do that so to GetAGrip I went. Turns of the stock cervelo breaks are worth about 5 cents. The brakes were not releasing. We were able to get the front one fully functioning with a new cable, some grease, and some love but was warned it might not work forever. The rear was another story. The spring in the rear brake was broken. So since we had to replace the rear, I had to replace the front as they needed to match. And while we were at, lets just replace the crappy brake levers that were on the bike too. Thus the $280.00. But all is well now!

Goals for this week:
1) Morning workouts! Need to start doing the morning workouts and not trying to cram my twoadays or even single workouts into the evenings.
2) Learn to love my bike again. I have a fit adjustment appt tomorrow so maybe that will help with the uncomfortable problem.
3) Work on my mental training so I can avoid a breakdown at IMWI
4) Continue to Log food.

Last edited by: instigator: Jul 21, 08 13:17
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 7/21/08 [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your PR!!! And thanks for sharing. Sometimes I get disappointed in myself mid-race and I cry, too. It is comforting to know I am not the only one. And for some reason, to know that people in front of me are having a similar experience ... it makes me feel a little better. I tend to double-beat-myself-up: "I am off plan and here I am in the back of the pack crying about it!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi ladies,

Last week marked the start of a new job in a new city where I am staying with friends until I find an apartment, so I set my goals pretty low - try to get a few runs in and eat as well as possible. On the running front, I did okay - I managed to do 2 (wanted to do 3) On the food front I actually did pretty well. I pre-made healthy breakfasts to take to the office (my new job starts waaaaaayyyyy earlier than my old one) and made healthy lunches/snacks 4 out of the 5 days. I ate out for dinner more often than I should have, but tried to keep the portions reasonable.

This week is more of the same - I am determined to get 3 runs in and figure out where/when I am going to swim, continue eating as healthy as I can.

Good job on the PRs and sounds like everyone is doing well!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 7/21/08 [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bittersweet Weekend:
-Bitter-Was signed up to race Vineman 70.3 but have been recovering from a little swimming injury that made it not smart to race. Still went up to support teammates but it required alot of discipline to resist racing and making the smart choice!!
-Sweet- Got to do an awesome 80miler on the bike course and 17 miles on the run course this weekend though!
-Think I got a little too excited and at the track today was still feeling the effects of hammering (Oops) this weekend.

This week's Goals:
-Sticking to the training. Hard days should be hard, Easy days should be easy!
-Working on curbing my sweet tooth in the evening! Kills me!

Isaiah 40:31 - Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength, they will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not grow faint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no bragging here. i've been absent the past couple of weeks. so i'm going to start afresh this week with weekly goals. (some are getting rather repetitive :( )

had a bad bad bad long ride on Sunday. it wasn't long enough because i was feeling so bad (mentally - yes, i cried) & physically) i ate horribly. not so much bad food, just too much.

so this weeki am to

1. eat better AND less (i'm fat!)
2. have a good attitude about my long ride this weekend.
3. be less crabby at work (it's not my fault really, i'm tired of training people for my position that then turn around and quit a week later!)

k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will give this a whirl...to keep things interesting

Last week:

Solid performance at my key triathlon of the year...a spint tri that I have done many times over the last 13 years...

In what I consider the race of my career I went 49:22, 8 years ago...

in 2003 I went 54:09...

this year, at 50 years old I went 54:08....with no structured training plan, only 11 swim workouts to prepare, and 90% of my biking on a Mt Bike...

had a solid swim, fantastic bike and a "hold on" run...managed a 3rd in my Age group (always iffy) and felt very satisfied with my effort...

This week...

Keep weight in the 172 range by not overeating...
Put on a great Practice Urban Adventure Race for my friends...
Help put on the Sprint Orienteering event and run the course for speed work...
Swim twice...intervals to prepare myself for my last Sprint Triathlon of the year...
Do something special for my wife...
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 7/21/08 [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do something special for my wife...

We need a full report on this one next week. Smile
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vacuuming? ; )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, glad you started this post. Recently relocated to the left coast and cancelled all my east coast races--including IMLP-a race that I've done 5 times. I am living in Las Vegas so there aren't any local tris to do until the fall. For the last 3 monthes I have been in flux with my training. Spent all day Sunday glued to the computer tracking my friends. Finally got my motivation back and am sticking with my prescribed training and mixing it with some marathon training so I will be able to race the rock and roll marathon in Phoenix (January).

Goals for this week
2 x core work
Ride bike with powermeter 4 times
run 6 days
Get back in pool at twice.
Self leg massage every night (I have very tight calves)
Keep wine intake down

Seems easy enough when I type it.

Good Luck to all this week

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply