Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Your tax dollars at work
Quote | Reply
FEMA check for $1.69 adds insult to injury

By Andrew Marra

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Saturday, August 28, 2004

One day after Donald Seither's mobile home was ripped up by Hurricane Charley, the 74-year-old retiree picked up a friend's phone and pleaded for federal aid.

Technically, he got it. But mostly, he got ticked off.

Seeking the government's help, the Punta Gorda resident — after being put on hold for 2 1/2 hours — got through to the Federal Emergency Management Agency and told his tale: a damaged roof, shattered windows and no electricity.

Donald Seither of Punta Gorda holds his FEMA check for $1.69. Rather than cash it, he says, he's considering auctioning it on eBay. About a week later, a check from the U.S. Treasury came in the mail. Here, Seither figured, was the hundreds, maybe thousands, of dollars he and his wife would need to help rebuild their lives.

Then he opened the envelope and read the fine print. The check's value: $1.69.

It turned out Seither and his wife didn't appear to qualify for major federal assistance because they had insurance coverage. But rather than reject them outright, FEMA says it is giving them, and several other hurricane victims, token sums instead.

It's a quirk in a system intended to provide serious relief for those whose lives have been disruptedor destroyed. FEMA says for many, a small sum is better than nothing.

"I know $1.69 sounds ridiculous, but if the guy seems entitled to it, we're going to cut the check," said Butch Ducote, a FEMA spokesman.

Seither is not alone. Ducote said FEMA has received a handful of calls from other puzzled victims with small checks, though he could not say how many have been issued.

"I can assure you that checks that small rarely happen, but it does show you the effort," Ducote said.

The token relief carries an unintended consequence. For residents who spent much of the past two weeks living amid rubble without electricity, it can feel less like help and more like a slap in the face.

"I fell to the floor and I started to cry," said Seither, recalling his disappointment when he opened the envelope. He said he and his wife still live in the mobile home, which sustained roof and siding damage and had a tree jutting through a window after the storm.

FEMA, which providesfinancial support for the uninsured and underinsured in the aftermath of major disasters, says it has written nearly 42,000 checks worth more than $68 million to victims since Hurricane Charley nailed southwest Florida on Aug. 13.

That money has gone a long way toward helping tens of thousands with everything from home repairs to replacing damaged furniture and paying for clothing and medical care.

About 70 Floridians have qualified so far for the maximum FEMA award: $25,600.

But at the other extreme are people like Seither.

When he opened his envelope and called FEMA in a rage, someone told him the money was provided so he could buy a gallon of gas for his generator.

"I said, 'Evidently you don't live in Florida,' " Seither said. "Because gas here is $1.83."

He said he's not ungrateful but can't believe the federal government would go to the trouble to mail him a check for such a pittance.

"It's an insult," he said. "I would rather have gotten nothing."

Such was his anger that he took the check to a local radio station and railed against the federal agency on the air.

Seither's plight came to the attention of local FEMA officials, who found his case bizarre and decided to investigate.

"At first people thought it was just a misplaced decimal point," said FEMA spokesman Doug Welty. "But this was in fact a legitimate check."

Welty said it was impossible for him to say why a FEMA official decided to award Seither the exact amount he received. Aid requests are assessed case by case and are based on several factors, including the extent of a victim's insurance coverage and how much damage he or she can document.

In many instances, FEMA officials go to homes to assess the damage themselves.

Welty said he understands that receiving such a small check can seem insulting. But he pointed out that the only alternative would be to not send it at all — something sure to raise plenty of ire as well.

"If you don't do it, then people get (angry)," he said.

Seither said he's not going to cash his check. He's holding on to it as a novelty item. Someone already has offered him $24 for it, he said.

Now he's considering auctioning it on eBay.

Staff researcher Melanie Mena contributed to this story.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: Your tax dollars at work [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a total waste of money just mailing that check. I don't know anything about FEMA or insurance but if your house is destroyed in a hurricane doesn't your home insurance company have to ante up for the damage not the government? A serious question, I really have no idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Your tax dollars at work [Goose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"doesn't your home insurance company have to ante up for the damage not the government?"

Precisely. I'm not sure why the homeowner went to FEMA, unless he was hoping to double dip or maybe get his deductible covered. But YES, the government shouldn't be giving away tax money to people who are too dumb to know that FL get hurricanes...

EVERY FREAKING YEAR!!!

It's like those floods in the midwest every spring. Same streets, same houses, same trailer parks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They always seem to interview the same hillbilly also (maybe they all just look the same due to teh inbreadn').

Reporter -"Your home just got washed/blown away for the third time in four years, what now?"

Hillbilly - hitches up pants, blows snot rocket "We I done think we are gunna up and rebuild, don't yea know" hitches up pants "Right after we get back from them there NASCAR races."

I say the taxpayers step in once and rebuild your home after that ignorance should be painful.
Quote Reply
Re: Your tax dollars at work [Shad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hillbilly - hitches up pants, blows snot rocket "We I done think we are gunna up and rebuild, don't yea know"

What do you want them to do- dig their stuff out of the rubble and move somewhere safe?

Maybe we should just evacuate all the dangerous areas of the country now. The entire Southeastern seaboard(hurricanes), most of California(earthquakes), the Midwest(tornadoes), most of the West(fires), the MidAtlantic states(flooding). . .Maybe Canada's got some room.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Your tax dollars at work [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, build where ever you want. But, if you build right on a beach or in the 'FLOOD' plane of the Mississippi river, the taxpayers only step in once and rebuild your home. Federally backed flood insurance IMO promotes development unsafe areas. Look at the homes built on the Gulf coast side of Florida near stump beach (it been about 10 years since I lived in Florida so there may be more) the homes are built on sand bars a couple hundred yards off shore. Any storm surge or spring tide and your house is flooded (these are couple million dollar homes) no insurance company would touch these homes when they were built but the Government would insure them with our tax dollars.

I can't prevent people from being stupid but I sure don't want to pay for their mistakes over and over again.
Quote Reply
Re: Your tax dollars at work [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What Shad said...

Why should someone else's obstinance or stupidity end up as my expense? It's not like they don't know the flood, hurricane, etc., is a comin'. It happens almost every year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the news guys ?? John Stosel < spelling > showed his house on the beach near the gulf .In a monotone voice " it get destroyed once every 3-7 year and I get a low interest loan / FEMA money to rebuild, It always looks new." They never show many brick building damaged, maybe roof or windows ,,, they head for the nearest mobile home park,I wont use the "T " word , For the real good footage. Mom always felt bad for, the flood victims on TV, walking in 3 feet of water ,as his house washed away, He tells the news camera " bafore we had nothin ,now that s gone " I just don't get it .
Quote Reply