Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

flats, who fixes, who tosses
Quote | Reply
I got a flat the other day while riding with a few friends. When I untavled the replacement tube there was an obvious patch on it. One of the guys I ride with said he never patches a tire, just uses a new tube. Honestly, sometimes my tires have a couple of patches. These are training wheels only, like bunnyman I only ride tubies on races! So who out there patches, who tosses!!!
Quote Reply
Re: flats, who fixes, who tosses [tristeve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I patch them all even the tubies. I got lots of kids to spend the extra cash on.
Dirtball

Slowtwitch bitchist place on planet earth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually patch if the puncture is small and not on a seam. I know that it is only a few bucks for a tube but why throw more rubber in the landfill.

A
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't patched a tube in 30 years. Life is too short to bother.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
50% patch, 50% toss

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In training rides I carry one tube and a patch kit. I would use the spare tube first and if that one blows I'd patch it only long enough to get home and then replace it. If all else fails I'd call my wife on my cell phone and get picked up. Luckily, so far, that hasn't been necessary.

If the tube blows while on the trainer it gets tossed.

Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I patch, generally up to two or three times. The key for me is if the repair holds air as well as a new tube.

For those who repair their own tubies, you have my upmost respect :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my younger, more naive days, I patched. I now replace. Why work my butt off 30 hours a week if I can't spend $2.25 on myself every couple of months? My wife is out right now spending $28.00 getting her toenails done.

Where are our priorities!
Quote Reply
Re: flats, who fixes, who tosses [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Why work my butt off 30 hours a week...", Um, cry me a river, workaholic. Only 30 hours?!?!? Are you retired? ;)
Quote Reply
Re: flats, who fixes, who tosses [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"Why work my butt off 30 hours a week...", Um, cry me a river, workaholic. Only 30 hours?!?!? Are you retired? ;)
Well, you know...between coffee break, checking message boards, another coffee break, 2 hour lunch, nap, ... I guess 30 hours is overstating it a bit. I'm sure I'm actually IN the office about 40 hours. But "working"...?
Quote Reply
Re: flats, who fixes, who tosses [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally, someone who tells the truth about how much he works!

If I were truly engaging my brain eight hours a day on work I'd probably blow a gasket.

The deeper you get the sweeter the pain. Don't give up the game until your heart stops beating.
--New Order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replace on the road, because it's quicker, and haul the blown one home in my jersey pocket. Then sit around one evening and patch up a bunch of tubes and use them again.
Quote Reply
Re: flats, who fixes, who tosses [Jacquie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've finally come to realize this about myself- I get upset when bad things like flats happen to me, but I get really, really upset when I do bad things to myself like screw up a patch job and get another flat because I couldn't get it right the first time. Knowing this, I save myself the inevitable heartache that comes from tracing the leak back to a bungled patch. For $3 I can protect myself from... myself. This is also why I NEVER try to adjust the front der any more. I am my own worst enemy with that infernal contraption. I can rebuild a smallblock Ford V8, but I cannot figure out how to get the front der to not rub.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with Jacquie and Bernie S...I carry a spare (patched is OK for training, pristine for races) and a patch kit (training only). I reserve punctures as I go and on a rainy/snowy day I'll patch the whole batch. I'll patch for training spare purposes as many times as necessary, tossing only if/when a particular tube collects more patches in one place than another and sets up a rumble at speed from the imbalance. Rare. I toss splits and bad valves right away, but a $2 patch kit buys me 6-7 "new" tubes.

Carl - who has a couple tubes with 5+ patches...generally the ultralight ones, of course

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What type of patch do you use? The instant/glueless or traditional patches?
Quote Reply
Re: flats, who fixes, who tosses [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'll chime in regardless. Traditional patches about 99% of the time. I used to use the quickie glueless (best results with the Park version) on my MTB tires as ride-savers with some success, but high pressure roadie/tri stuff just doesn't seem to be their bailiwick. I've been known to use them for boots in road tires when I get a particularly large cut, and so I generally carry them on training rides for that purpose.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: flats, who fixes, who tosses [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mostly glueless. One rider I know says the glueless never stick for him, so he only uses the traditional ones.
Quote Reply
30 hours a week, I feel your pain! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
         I've been working six or seven days a week since mid February. Sunday was my first day off in three weeks. 66 hours this week and still training. Not like I would like to but I'm still getting some workouts done. Sometimes my three to five mile run around Yankee Stadium in the morning is all I can get in. I'm just glad to that done. I'm finishing up a job for Metro North RR in NYC and hope to get life back to normal by the end of April. First couple races, Columbia and Blackwater will be a little slow this year! And no I don't patch tubes, sometimes I don't even fix a flat for a week, just ride the other bicycle!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Last edited by: Sweeney: Apr 2, 03 1:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always take with me some patches but also a tube. I pat once to three times. Then I toss the tubes.
I never tried the glueless patches. But I have some and will use them to fix my next flat and try them out.
Quote Reply