Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

McLube, anyone?
Quote | Reply
Has anyone ever used McLube on a bike? We use this stuff on sailboat hardware and it's great. It sprays on and then disappears. It is completely dry, but lubricates like crazy. The blocks and other hardware we use it on have huge loads, but not the constant friction that one would see in a chain, for instance. I'm thinking about trying it, but if someone tells me my frame will fall apart at the first drop I probably won't.

BTW, they call the dry lube Sailkote. From their website:

Sailkote is specially formulated with Dupont Krytox®, an easily applied environmentally friendly translucent liquid lubricant specifically designed for marine use.

It dries quickly to a hard, smooth, ultra-slick, hydrophobic dry coating that bonds tenaciously to almost any surface. And because Sailkote is a dry lubricant, it will not attract dirt or contaminants and will not transfer to other surfaces, or you.

Sailkote is typically five times as effective, and lasts much longer than, wax, oil or Teflon® based lubricants.

Last edited by: BillT: Mar 27, 03 8:45
Quote Reply
Re: McLube, anyone? [BillT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I haven't used it, but I have a related question.

Is Tri-Flow an acceptable chain lube? I recently used it in conjunction with my regular chain lube because of all the wet roads around my area, is this unnecessary or a problem?

thanks...

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: McLube, anyone? [Jack M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i used triflow for a while and found that it worked very well but picked up gunk pretty quickly. if you go out for a wet ride you really need to clean the drive train afterwards. i use white lightning now and am happy. still need to clean after a dirty ride bit i find that it is easier.

geoff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bill,

Be a bit careful about McLube on painted surfaces.

I too am a sailor and have had some staining/discoloration issues with it on painted surfaces. I too have been wondering whether it would be a suitable lube for a chain.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: McLube, anyone? [sinker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't doubt it but I have so many stains and discolorations how would I tell? (We look like crap but we sail fast.)

Seriously, though, I think a chain would be the toughest test. I'm imagining things like brakes, shifters, hubs and especially inside cables. The chain would be a bonus. I'm getting giddy thinking about no dust, no gunk buildup, just a bright, clean chain after a long ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i just can't help but worship prolink. when i used to use it my chain, cogs and chainring always looked wonderful. dry to the touch but slippery that snot.

it smells great too!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply