Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training Wheels 650cc Suggestions
Quote | Reply
Does anybody have a suggestion for training wheels in a size 650? The selection in the 650's seems somewhat limited. I was thinking about either a built up Mavic Open Pro CD or Mavic CXP-33. I would really like to spend no more than $350.00. I am a light rider at under 140lbs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am currently using a set of HED3's that I no longer race. But it just seems strange to keep training on a tri-spoke. Although, if I do not train of the HED3's, then all they will do is collect dust.

John Thomason
Last edited by: John Thomason: Mar 27, 03 6:37
Quote Reply
Re: Training Wheels in Size 650 [John Thomason] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a really good deal on some 650 wheels for training on that Dan was selling here on this site a while back. If your trispokes are collecting dust you should post them for sale in the classified section.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Wheels in Size 650 [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
www.gravywheels.net that's all you need. he'll hook you up. art. pure frickin art.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, if you're willing to leave your ego at home and save about $250 in the process, chucksbikes.com has a wheelset in 650c: Rigida DP18 (similar to Velocity Deep V) laced 3x to 32 holes 105 hubs. $85, but you need your own skewers.

They look bad, they are heavy ... they are training wheels!

Dre'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rolf Vector's
Quote Reply
Re: Training Wheels in Size 650 [Dr. Dre'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have some of these wheels, Dre, and you left out the fact that they're bulletproof. I hope they don't look too bad, though. I have them on a shiny new bike and I really thought I had the "cool factor" way up there. :)

Any idea what they weigh?
Quote Reply
Re: Training Wheels 650cc Suggestions [John Thomason] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say just go with the CXP-33's as trainers and sell your HED for a few bucks. The CXP's are such good wheels to train on. I have a set and have not had to true them in over 2 seasons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we have two pairs left, and then that's it. $249, you get the wheels, continental grand prix in 23mm, conti tubes, rim strips, skewers, and 11-23 cassette (ultegra or 105, whatever it is i have). $15 to ship n the lower 48. wheels are velocity deep V rims, real design hubs, stainless DT spokes, 28X28.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Training Wheels in Size 650 [BillT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BillT,
I don't think they look bad, really. I like spoked wheels. The initial post was about replacing Hed3's, which sure look way cooler.

From a bunch of web sites, I found out that the DP-18 in 650c weighs 530g, 32 DB14 weigh 200g w/nipples (in size 260, which is about right), front 105 140g, and rear 105 340g (without skewers). Getting the math right leads to a hair less than 2000g (ouch!) per set. This is what I meant by *training*.

Also, you're right that they are simply nuclear proof. Those 30mm section rims can be tensioned until you pull the threads off the nipples, so very stiff and long lasting wheels can be built.

Dre'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bill, I have these wheels to on my tri bike. They look to me like most other deep V spoked wheels. I agree that are bombproof, and as far as the weight, I'm not that much of a weight weenie, especially since I've reduced more weight on my bike by riding my big behind a lot more than waiting until I could afford to spend $1000 on a set of wheels. Believe me if I had the cash to spend I would, but these wheels are durable, fairly aero and spin great!

- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jon Cobb recommended the 650 Rolf Vector Comps for me as a training/racing wheel and so far so good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was looking at those Wheels at Chucks myself. They look like a pretty good deal for training on.

Hey Bill, How is that Wheeler? I ordered one and have the frame and an upgraded fork and its looks really nice for such a bargain. I haven't built it up yet (I've ordered a new headset to go on it that hasn't arrived) but can't wait to get out for a ride. One question though, the holes for the internal cable routing on the top tube didn't come with the cable stops on my frame, did yours?
Quote Reply
Re: Training Wheels in Size 650 [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you reminded me. Mine doesn't have them either and I meant to go by the bike shop.

I'm very pleased with the bike so far. I'm fairly new to the steep angle so I'm still getting used to it. I had him build up the bike and Chuck actually sent me 8-speed bar end shifters instead of 9-speed. I wasn't happy, but as soon as I let him know he sent me the 9-speed set and a carbon aero seat post as a gift. Needless to say I'm now happy. Unfortunately, the aero post is too long and I can't use it. Anyone want to swap a round carbon post for an aero one?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a bunch of Xaero Lite 650c wheels with blue spokes that were intended for Cannondale bikes but are now on hold due to their current situation. We dont sell direct to consumers but I would be willing to cut a dealer, maybe Tom D., a sweet deal and he could sell them to you or anyone else interested.

Paul Cusick

Spinergy
Quote Reply