Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Are tri shorts ever more comfortable...
Quote | Reply
than bike shorts?

I was in a running shop that happened to have some tri shorts in it. I noticed that there were two pairs. One by Pearl Izumi, and the other by Zoot (I think). Anyways, the Pearl Izumi's were what I had envisioned, a bike short with less padding, but the other pair seemed to have a good portion of padding right in the, excuse me, "taint" area, and less everywhere else.

It is interesting because I have been thinking that we have bikes that make us more comfortable in the aero position, and we have seats that are more comfortable in the aero position, and it seems that my current bike shorts (Pearl Izumi bike shorts) have most of the padding in the "sit bones" area, and not where it matters, at the "taint". So, are there any bike shorts or tri shorts that address this, such as the one I mentioned above? And if there are any tri shorts that are like this, how easy are they to run in?

Thanks...

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Are tri shorts ever more comfortable... [jjmc27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I replied, dont know where the post went.

I run in DeSoto's all the time, very comfortable. Never ran in any of the others.

Bike shorts have caused chaffing not a problem with tri shorts.

Could not ride in them all the time though.
Quote Reply
Re: Are tri shorts ever more comfortable... [Jack M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I own all possible flavors of the DeSoto Power stuff (short, bib, and skin suit). It has the mini tri-pad. This is what I wear all the time, and I found that it is more comfortable than bike shorts. I have this problem that regular bike short pad bunches between the legs when riding more than 10-15 minutes: not good. It never happens with the tri-pad. The other benefit of the DeSoto Power series is the additional support provided by the Power Lycra. Highly recommended.

Dre'
Quote Reply
Re: Are tri shorts ever more comfortable... [Dr. Dre'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I concur on the De Soto stuff. Wicked comfortable. Better than my Biemme or Santini bibs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the PI shorts have a little more padding in the sit bones area, seems like the pad is modeled after last years road PRT pad. The paneling is just like their top of the line microsensor shorts so they should fit really well, i love the microsensors. The Zoot and Desoto shorts have similar pads, just don't take the Desoto in Chlorine. The Zoots also seem to hold up a little better durability wise and have more muscle compression. The TYR's are nice but really don't give you much muscular support and the pad is this encapsulated pad between two layers of fabric, which while being very unobtrusive, really doesn't offer much added comfort. The TYR shorts do have a Silicone gripper though, which takes a while to get used to but is really sweet and doesn't break down like the elastic. While the PI, Desoto, and Zoot shorts feel like they are supporting your muscles, you basically feel the TYR shorts at the waist (if you tie the waistband) and at the leg gripper. Not much in between.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently tried sugoi tri shorts and they are great. I prefer them on long rides over my very expensive PI bike shorts. I also have the problem of shorts bunching up in the crotch area and causing chafing, but this does not happen with the sugoi shorts.

I initially tried the desoto tri shorts and they ride up constantly. I've been told the desoto power shorts do not have this problem and I will try some as soon as I can find them.
Quote Reply
Re: Are tri shorts ever more comfortable... TITAN Shorts [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another alternative is the titan shorts at www.titanwear.com

These shorts are wonderful. I have been training & racing (sw, bk & run) in them for three years. They have just the right amount of padding and they hold up exceptionally well. They are also a great value and a price less then the other major brands. There service is exceptional as well.

Rockfish

ps i am not associtated with titan, just a very happy customer.
Quote Reply
Re: Are tri shorts ever more comfortable... TITAN Shorts [rockfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too really like Titan shorts, found the fabric more comfortable than DeSoto or Zoot. Also, the Titan people have been very helpful in printing graphics on their shorts for our team. Good company.
Quote Reply
seat pad [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the best solution is to stick with a minimalistic short and get a seat cover

Desoto adn QR both make a neoprene seat cover.

the QR has extra padding in the nose.

This way you don't have to run with bulky shorts and you still get the padding... I think this combination is even more comfortable than regular bike shorts.

You could also look into getting one of the tri specific saddles with padding in the nose already
Quote Reply
Re: seat pad [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My current set-up is the Azoto tri saddle, with a QR seat cover, and Pearl Izumi Bike shorts (I'm not sure which ones). My arse gets pretty uncomfortable pretty quickly. Part of it is probably because I recently had my position changed, and also because while changing my position, it was mentioned to me that my hips move a lot when I'm pedalling (=chaffing), and another big part is the crappy/bumpy roads I ride on. I think most of my discomfort could probably be solved with some chamois cream. It is interesting though that I recently when on a 2.5 hr ride on a different route than I normally take (way less bumps), and I felt better than a half hour into my normal route.

I was wondering about the differences in bike shorts and tri shorts, because it seems that bike shorts have the padding in the wrong places for riding aero. I am wondering if there are tri shorts that are more comfortable than bike shorts while riding, from some feedback, it seems as this this might be true. Where I get sore, there isn't much padding at all, so it probably wouldn't make a difference if I were even wearing the bike shorts or just regular, tight shorts, I will have to try this and see.

Thanks for the feedback,

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
bike shorts [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike shorts are designed as you mentioned to sit on your sit bones... UNfortunately I have never seen a pair of tri shorts with extra padding in the "taint" area...

however here are some other suggestions:

Wider tires - will absorb the bumps better. last longer too. try something wider than 23 and above... then try experimenting with the pressure too.

Hips moving - are you sure that your seat is at the right hieght? that may be why your hips are moving all over the place? generallly your hips should not be shifting around if your seat position is correct.

is the problem chafing or numbeness or both... chafing can also be dealt with with body glide or the chamois cream. Numbness, try getting up out of the saddle every couple of minutes, it will help the legs as well as the circulation in your nether regions.

good luck
Quote Reply
Re: bike shorts [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I should design a pair of tri shorts that address this, then I can sell the idea and retire somewhere in Southern California in a few years...

The hips moving thing was pointed out to me by Tom D. when he was positioning me (on a bike I bought myself). He made some adjustments to my seat height and fore/aft. I'm think part of it may be that I pedal differently on a trainer than on the road, and part of it is just poor pedaling mechanics. I used to have numbness, but I haven't since I had the Azoto and QR seat cover. I am not sure if this is because I am not riding as long, or if it has been alleviated due to the new seat. I think it is mainly a chafing problem and probably too high of tire pressure for the crappy roads I ride on.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote Reply
Re: bike shorts [Jack in Mi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The DeSoto tri suit rocks and so do the tri shorts. I have also used the Zoot trishorts but these have a shorter inseam than the Desoto's. These have been fine for distances up to 1/2 IM the only bad thing about the Desoto tri shorts is that there is a seam right between the legs and it has been coming undone with the obvious friction while biking and running.

I am now moving to IM distance and cannot possibly imagine riding 112 in those skimpy pads even though I have the Azoto saddle. Any IM'ers out there go the distance with these shorts?
Quote Reply
Re: bike shorts [KingK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no IM'er (new to the sport: first 1/2IM in May, maybe "full" Vineman in august), but I ride a fair bit: yesterday was my short Sunday ride: 90 miles. Usually 105-120. I always wear the DeSoto Power stuff (as I posted previously). Initially, I was using a DeSoto seat pad on my tri bike and it helped getting used to the tri position (79 deg seat angle on my Roo). I never used the pad on my road bike ('cross bike, pretty slack at about 72.5 deg). Two weeks ago, I forgot to put the pad on the Roo and went for a 100+ miles ride (flat, so aero galore and not much standing). I noticed when I got home after the ride. Make sure your seat is perfectly dialed in, and there should be no problem. I highly recommend the pad, even if I don't use it anymore.

Dre'
Quote Reply
Re: Are tri shorts ever more comfortable... [Jack in Mi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love DeSoto power tri shorts. I wore them for HI ironman last year in the swim and bike; no problems. (I have a flite gel saddle). I find the DeSotos way more comfortable than Pearlizumi's micro and ultra sensor shorts, which feel like wearing a stiff diaper. I also wore through the stitching around the pad, and DeSoto happily repaired them for free, in a timely manner.

-dan goltz
Quote Reply