Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bar End Shifter Conversion
Quote | Reply
I am installing Shimano Dura Ace bar end shifters and the directions say I ahve to use a Dura Ace rear derailleur. I currently have a 105 derailleur. Can I get by with this or should I just suck it up and drop another 80 bucks.

Thanks
Jeff S.
Quote Reply
Friction Mode [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would suggest simply using the bar end control in the friction mode. There is a dial on the left side of the bar end mount that allows the control to be switched back and forth between indexed and friction.

I am considering cutting my areobars and adding bar end controls and will probably post a few question about this pretty soon.

How many of you out there are old enough to remember 5 speed freewheels and friction shifting?

Good luck. DavidK
Quote Reply
105 and ultegra work fine for me [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am using the dura-ace bar end shifters (new this year) with an ultegra rear and 105 front right now. I had a 105 rear previously. All have worked just fine for me.

"My strategy is to start out slow and then peter-out altogether" Walt Stack
Quote Reply
Re: Bar End Shifter Conversion [Ann Arbor Jeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have the newer (last three model years) of Shimano 105 rear derailleur (Shimano part no. RD-5500SS) it is 100% compatible with your Shimano Dura-Ace Bar End Shifter (Part no. SL-BS-77). There is a new Shimano bar-end shifter that is labelled on the box "Ultegra/105" and is 8 speed only. The part number for this is SL-BS64-8, that is the part number you would use for an eight speed drivetrain. If you have problems getting it to work correctly you may have other issues. Since you're in Ann Arbor, I would say bring it in! We'll fix it here at Bikesport, where we do hundreds, no thousands, of barend setups.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Same front end with Ultegra - bar end position? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same bar-end shifters with Ultegra front and back with no problem at all. Not long ago I heard someone taking their front shifter and mounting it is the reverse position, where by the both front and back shifters work with up shifting when pushed forward like an accelerator pedal. Who else is doing this and how do you like this? Any of you also ride a road bike with STI also?

Quote:
"Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit."

Saddlesore Wink

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another issue may be a slightly bent derailleur hanger- tough to say without seeing it.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bar End Shifter Conversion [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tom,

I will give it a shot myself and then probably have to bring it in :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're having problems do bring it in- it sounds like something we can do while you wait, probably cheap or free!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, I would have that thing down to Tom's shop faster than you can say Dura Ache. The first lesson you learn as a triathlete from NYC is that you can't work on your bike in an 800 sqft. apartment. You need a good mechanic. Besides, stuff never seems to work as well as when it comes back from the mechanic. They just do it better. Bar-end shifters is an outsource job if I ever saw one. Good luck! :-)

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply