Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Mirena: Does anyone use this or have opinions? [junebug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've looked into and tried a lot of birth control options -

I had a low libido on the pill.

Even though I wasn't necessarily personally frightened of the higher clotting risk on the patch, it pissed me off that the ortho evra company held the public release of this info.

I was excited about the IUD option a few years ago but doctors were somewhat reluctant to give me an IUD as I haven't had kids yet. Since I definitely want children, I decided not to risk it. Anyone here in the medical field have a different opinion about this?

I've finally settled in on the Nuvaring and am very happy. Although it still makes me uncomfortable to think of being on exogenous hormones for at least 15 years straight (I started at 18 and plan to wait until my early 30s for kids), it's definitely the best choice... until they finally come up with something for the mens :)
Times have changed - many of my patients have not had kids yet - look at the rest of the world - most of the women who use it have not had kids yet. The Dalkon Shield and the lawsuits that resulted from it in the 70s have kept IUDs from being used much in the US but that is changing.

cat

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Re: Mirena: Does anyone use this or have opinions? [junebug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Even though I wasn't necessarily personally frightened of the higher clotting risk on the patch, it pissed me off that the ortho evra company held the public release of this info.

I was excited about the IUD option a few years ago but doctors were somewhat reluctant to give me an IUD as I haven't had kids yet. Since I definitely want children, I decided not to risk it. Anyone here in the medical field have a different opinion about this?

I've finally settled in on the Nuvaring and am very happy. Although it still makes me uncomfortable to think of being on exogenous hormones for at least 15 years straight (I started at 18 and plan to wait until my early 30s for kids), it's definitely the best choice... until they finally come up with something for the mens :)
Junebug(loved that movie...),
I place Mirenas in nulliparous women w/o problems--no worries. Also, don't be concerned about being on BC (hormones)---truly beneficial in so many ways--recent UK study showed decreased incidence of ALL cancers--win/win situation--
HC

---------------------------------------------------
Holden Cain, ObGyn..."People pulling people out of people"
Quote Reply
Re: Mirena: Does anyone use this or have opinions? [holdencain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just LOVE meerkats.
Quote Reply
Re: Mirena: Does anyone use this or have opinions? [EnduraGrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was wondering what you decided to do?

I have been on BCP or NuvaRing for the last 12 or so years but recently stopped. It was more of a mistake that I stopped as I forgot to insert a new ring in Sept but since stopping, I can't believe how amazing I feel. Less tired, no bloating, less mood swings, and better libido. The only issue is that I have only had 1 period since September. Now I don't find that a huge deal but my Dr is a bit concerned that this might not be all that healthy for me. We discussed trying new pills but then decided to think about an IUD. I have been referred to a GYN (my current Dr is an internist who does my annuals) to discuss the IUD. I have a consulation scheduled for this Friday.

I think I like the idea of the IUD. I have read this thread and the others on ST. As well as many many negatives on differing message boards. So I was wondering if anyone had any additional input or some suggestions on things I should discuss with my dr on Friday.

thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Mirena: Does anyone use this or have opinions? [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to give a thumbs up for the copper IUD. I still get my period which I actually like because I know my body is functioning as it should. I like not having artificial hormones in my body after 21 years of being on the pill. The irony now is that I've entered into premenopaus and my Dr. thinks I should go back on them to control my nightsweats, hot flashes that have recently started and other symptoms.

I did a lot of research and knew going into the appointment that's what I wanted to do. I'd talked to the Dr about Mirena and she agreed since I never wanted kids and I was 39 at the time it made better sense for me to go copper because it lasts up to 10 years where as Mirena lasts 5. Copper also has a much longer record of use. The side effects are understood better. If you haven't had kids the insertion can be more difficult as far as post insertion cramping. In fact, it sucked. But, Advil helped.

Here is good info on the two IUDs: http://www.webmd.com/...ud-for-birth-control

There is also a tubal implant if you have decided to never have kids. My Dr and I first discussed this the year prior to me deciding on the IUD. When I went back she had stopped using it. I forget her reasoning why but I think in general that method has fallen out of favor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Mirena: Does anyone use this or have opinions? [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was on various BCPs for years, but ended up having to go another route because my body became too damn sensitive to all of the hormones (the estrogen started causing migraines and such). Tried the Nuvaring, but had problems 'keeping it in' as it liked to pop out in the middle of hard workouts (which is obviously not the best thing).
I had the Mirena IUD inserted about 8 months ago - it was a bit painful during insertion and a bit uncomfortable for a day or so afterwards, but after that - no problems at all. It only took about 3 months for my periods to reduce down to a half-day of light spotting (once a month). I have not noticed any decrease in libido, but do have a little bit more acne.
I like that I don't have to remember to take anything, and that my feminine hygiene product costs are pretty much down to nothing. :)

------------------
How about a little less questions and a little more shut the hell up - Brian, Family Guy.
Quote Reply

Prev Next