Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

80% on Onionman
Quote | Reply
Talked to my coach and I think it would be a good idea to get in Onionman before Boise Half. Since Boise is an event with lots of hoopla it will be pretty stressful. It'd be nice to have something I can use for fun and a dry run before playing with the big boys and girls.

I'm finalizing my next month's schedule in the next day or so and will let ya'll know for sure if I'll be there.

Perhaps there will be a NW Womens contingent in Walla Walla on the 24th?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 80% on Onionman [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, this is sounding more and more tempting. I swear I will drown though....
Quote Reply
Re: 80% on Onionman [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's impossible to drown in a wetsuit! :)

My better half and I will be there. We're already booked for dinner at Whitehouse Crawford for dinner after the race...hmm...so good!

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How far is Walla Walla from Vancouver, BC Canada? Some one I swim with is going and wanting a group of us to go and do it. The problem for me may be that I'm away the weekend before doing a ride on the IMC bike course, and I'm away the following weekend doing the Oliver Half Ironman. Hmmm it is tempting to be able to say that I did the "onion man" in Walla Walla Washington!

---------------------------------------------------------------

"There's good all around you, you just have to be able to see it".
Quote Reply
Re: 80% on Onionman [YVR K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet you can make it from Vancouver BC to Walla Walla in about 6-6.5 hours assuming you don't have a super long border crossing. Best part of Onionman - hitting up the wineries on the way home! I keep telling my husband we may have to leave his bike in order to make room for all the wine I'm planning on bringing home.

Quote Reply
Re: 80% on Onionman [YVR K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Walla Walla is 5 hours from my house outside Seattle according to Google Earth. That would make is a long haul from Vancouver. My parents are going to be in town so I'm still trying to figure out if I can pull it off.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I used google to see how long it would take me and I think I'll have to pass this year. I don't want to spend that many hours on the road three weekends in a row.

As for hitting the wineries that always happens on my training and race weekends in the Okanagan. One of the best things about the Oliver Half Iron is that I can hit the wineries after racking my bike on Saturday morning, and before attending the race meeting on Saturday afternoon. :-) Oliver Half Iron is smack dap in the middle of wine country.

Karen

---------------------------------------------------------------

"There's good all around you, you just have to be able to see it".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry ladies but I'm not going to be able to make it. My parent will be in town. I tried to figure out how I could do it but I think I would piss them off pretty badly.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't make it to Onionman either, but I think we should look into a NW Ladies meetup some other time this summer, as it sounds like there's definitely interest. What say you Womens of the Pacific Northwest? (though all would of course be welcome)

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When is it? Do you have a link to the race site? I'd be interested in driving down from Van. AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: 80% on Onionman [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Found it. Jeebus: $55? I just paid $70 (early reg & TriBC discount) for a similar OLY race in BC! AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeebus as in cheap or expensive?

You and Khai should come down for it.
Quote Reply
Re: 80% on Onionman [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeebus as in cheap. The exchange rate helps. I think the only issue is our skeds: I have a local sprint on the 19th of May, so that would be back to back... not that I haven't pulled that stunt before, but it's been a while.... and I believe Khai is training for Oliver Half in early June. But I'll ask him tomorrow on our ride.

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C'mon down - it should be a great race! We go out to walla walla every year (for wine - first time for the race) and it's a great little getaway. I'm anticipating the race will only make it that much more fun and give me an excuse to indulge in the decadent walla walla onion fries - they are incredibly good!

Seriously, walla walla is a great town and I'm guessing the small field in this race, as I think they're limiting it to 200 or so participants, will just make it a really fun race.

PS - I heard from someone who's done the course before that the bike leg is a little misleading as it's a slight uphill the first half and a slight downhill the second half. She said she was doing 16mph on the first half and 22mph on the second half. Just something to be aware of.

PPS - as for a NW gettogether, I'm all for it! Though my tri season ends early July so I can enjoy the rest of the what the northwest has to offer in the summer - mainly backpacking and camping - so I may be out of tri shape when a get-together occurs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jen-
If you wind up changing your plans and decide to go let me know. There are about 6 people from our local area going over; I'm sure we can make room if you want to hop in one of the carpools.
Quote Reply
Re: 80% on Onionman [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm registered for this year! anyone else in?

I'm pretty sure that the race is full because I just checked and online registration is closed. This race is getting so popular!

my severely neglected blog
Last edited by: jess!: Apr 27, 09 16:28
Quote Reply
Re: 80% on Onionman [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, this thread was freaking me out as I though my Methow Valley/Winthrop crew was backing out!!

Maybe we can all do Onionman next year...

Go Jess!!
Quote Reply