Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thinking back on TdF...
Quote | Reply
Bob Roll is a babbling moron. So why is "duh" so hard for him to say? You'd think it would flow naturally from the mouth of such a dork.
Tour DUH France, Bob, Tour DUH France...

Does this guy have pictures of the OLN network execs having sex with farm animals?

And would it affect the "color" commentary if they fined Phil and Paul for every stupid, wrong prediction?

"The breakaway is 6 minutes out, and I think they've broken the elastic. This could be the stage winner, right here... "

(Stage 17) "That's the race. No one is going to catch Klöden..."

"That's a brilliant move by the Rabobank rider. The peleton thinks he's just sprinting for mountain points, but he's going to join the breakaway... Oh, he just sat up and is now waiting.

"I think Ulrich is planning to put something together in today's time trial, we could see him leap past Klöden and Basso to take second."(What, take back like 6-7 minutes? yeah sure.)

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Last edited by: Cousin Elwood: Aug 9, 04 10:36
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking back on TdF... [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the risk of starting this back and forth up again, here's my thoughts...

Bob says Tour "day" France on purpose. He has very little problem pronouncing everything else.

Phil and Paul do their color commentary watching video from someone else's camera in real time. It's not like baseball where you can pretty much see what's happening. They have to watch the video, over which they have no control, figure out who's who, find some sort of semi-interesting background info, plus try to figure out what each teams and riders strategies are. Some of the stuff they say is pretty dumb, but over all, I think they do a pretty good job. Plus they're the only game in town. I could have done with more Kirsten this year though.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking back on TdF... [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was mostly tongue in cheek, but Roll annoys me. If he says it on purpose (which I'm not buying) then he's a double dork.

Phil and Paul bring something to the dance, it just gets tiresome when they keep predicting that the breakaway will work. It worked in two stages, and only because there was no one in the breakaway worth chasing.

I think they try to keep the suspense going so people won't tune out.

Also, they never caught on that it was the helicopter blowing things sideways on stage 16...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bob Roll is a god he mukst not be questioned. He is pointless, stupid, no talent, boring ass is not allowed to be not liked. Be careful Cousin the backlash you will recieve for calling Roll what he really is could be painful.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't figure Roll out. I've spoken with him a few times, and he seems like an interesting, insightful person. Likewise, I enjoy his books. I hate his on-air persona, though. Fortunately, I mostly watched the live coverage this year, so I was spared his inanity.

Liggett is OK.

I can't stand Sherwen. Except for his "suitcase of pain" aphorism, I can't think of anything he's contributed to the broadcasts. And as you've pointed out, he's seemingly never right about anything.

I didn't hate Al Trautwig. I did have low expectations for him, however, and he didn't disappoint.
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking back on TdF... [MrPythia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess the question with these guys is, who else are you gonna watch?

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking back on TdF... [MrPythia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob roll is there , for all, who tuned in for ,bull ridin - bass fishin - deer huntin -Nascar fans ,,,, He gets them up to speed on bike racin in france.

" stand up comedian "

Once you talk to a Nascar fan,,, you can understand why they would be hypnotized by a shiny car going in circles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bobke is sexy in a totally dorky way. OK, I said it. ;-)

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Thinking back on TdF... [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Bobke is sexy in a totally dorky way. OK, I said it. ;-)"

You are not at all well, Cathy. He's almost as sexy as Danny DeVito in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.

It would be like me saying Daine Feinstein was a hotty. I'd have to have done without for at least three decades...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now Cousin, I've seen Bobke in the flesh (last year SF GP) and he was walking around dressed in black jeans and a black sweater--very Beat looking. And, his arms/hands weren't flying around like he was swatting flies. ;-)

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply