Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Big Man's Bike!!
Quote | Reply
My son broke his old Cannondale at the bottom bracket. He went looking for a new bike and the guy at the bike store said he couldn't sell him a bike because of his size. He's 6'5" and 255, so he's not exactly tiny. Why couldn't he use a, say, 62cm Cannondale right off the showroom floor, with 36 spoke 14g box rim (Mavic GP4) wheels? The salesman said he needs to buy a custom fit bike and thinks he should get a custom set of wheels as well. There must be a few of you big guys out there who've solved this problem. The only really big guy I know has a Waterford, custom built. But my son just graduated from college and doesn't have a "real" job yet, so money is tight. I'm not buying him another bike until I have my new P3!

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Big Man's Bike!! [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Robert, is that you, Robert? Until the bike-fit guys wiegh in... a 62cm would sound close enough to get him on it and see.

Chappy
Quote Reply
Re: Big Man's Bike!! [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chappy: Yes, it's me! :o, (I see you've recovered enough from GFT to "talk" in public. :) ) I'm going to try to find him something on Ebay or RoadbikeReview.com to last him until he gets a job. I'm just worried that maybe the bike store guy is right about getting a custom bike. Are commercial welds and materials, on say a Cannondale, good enough to carry someone that big? He really doesn't stompt the thing, LOL, he's a powerlifter, he rides 10 mph slower than me! But, he did crack open his old C'dale at the bottom bracket where the chainstay attaches on the right side.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Robert Cannondale should replace that frame if he is the org owner,i am on my third c-dale frame,for a big guy i think its a good frame to have some stiffness
Quote Reply
Re: Big Man's Bike!! [randall t] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa! Now there's a thought. It's a 59 cm Cannondale 3.0 from about 1990 when he was six two. Is that too long or does their warranty go back that far? Of course, the frame is too small for him now. He's GROWN! I wonder if they'd give him one of their larger frames or just repair it? Maybe they'd discount one? Hmmm. Anyway, great thinking! Thanks for that tip!!! I'm going to email them now.

-Robert

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm of similar stature to your son, maybe 15-20 pounds lighter, and I ride a 63cm Cannondale I got used on Ebay for $600. I will continue to ride this bike until I feel that I have the engine to not "desecrate" a custom tri-bike. I will definitely go the custom route when I upgrade, most especially if I don't fit on a Cervelo P3 (dream bike, but probably too small at 61cm). I have an adjustable stem, and have managed to find a comfortable, relatively fast position in a quasi-slammed setup.

I think your idea of getting something on ebay or RBR is a good one. Get the biggest bike you can find, let him fiddle with it until he gets comfortable, he should be good to go. I wouldn't worry about the wheels. Almost any bike you get used will have been used by a larger person, if for not other reason than it is 63 cm plus, and the previous owner probably solved the weight problem on the wheels. If your son crushes a wheel, buy the box rim Mavics (what I use on my bike, but I don't know the spoke counts).

Once he gets a job, he can upgrade to a custom rocketship if he wants.

Rich
Quote Reply
Re: Big Man's Bike!! [RINO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are some excellent points.

I've emailed Cannondale to see what their current practice is regarding replacment or maybe doing something on a larger frame. I'll post their response here.

Thanks!

Robert

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If he's that big and got 12 years out of his old bike, that's not too bad. I question his need for a custom bike. I'm 6-4, 200-plus and ride a 61cm Cervelo P2K. Very strong rear triangle and really a comfortable bike for me. I rode a Cannondale tri bike previously, and the Cervelo feels stiffer to me than the C-dale, but the fork, wheels, seat and fit make it a MUCH more comfortable ride for me. It will be a long time before I change bikes again. I'm obviously a big Cervelo fan, so that's where I'd start looking. I know two other big guys that also have Cervelos -- a P2K and a P3 -- and we all love them. (The guy on the P2K is a former All-American defensive tackle and he did his first IM recently on his Cervelo.) And their customer service is great. I'm sure they'd take care of you if there was a problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Man's Bike!! [Big EE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say there is little need for a custom bike but definately a need for a good bike fit. 255 lb.s may not be as light as Thomas Hellriegel, but it isn't that big in the grand scheme of things. Any good quality 7000 series aluminum frame properly sized will be durable enough for several seasons of normal race/training use. Staying away from 14 spoke wheels is in order, but Spinergy Spox or Rev-X are a good call if you can get some used ones on e-bay.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply