Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Motor pacing
Quote | Reply
I know motor pacing can be dangerous so with that aside I have a question. On my ride this morning I was poking along (low heart rate zone) at about 17-19 mph about half way through my intended ride time got behind a school bus and drafted for a few miles at about 30+ mph stayed in my low heartrate zone (the upper end). I had my zone set on my heart rate monitor. After I lost the bus I was able to maintain 19-21 mph at the same heart rate (previous to drafting) as before for the remainder of my ride. Why is this? All conditions (road, wind etc.) were the same as before the drafting/motor pacing.
Quote Reply
Re: Motor pacing [Stewart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wel stu that seems a little dramatic, but the short answer is because motorpacing is good for you. your bike acts differently at high speeds than it does at low speeds and if you wish to be "one" with the faster moving bike you need to be on it as it is moving faster.

i disagree that motorpacing is dangerous. it rankles me and puzzles me that people nowadays seem to think it is. i have zero idea what they are talking about, as i suspect do they. learn, and enjoy, dude.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mental? I know there's someting about the sensation of speed that makes maintaining speed easier.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Motorpacing does exert some kind of training effect no other training seems to duplicate. It may be maintaining high RPMs against a big gear, such as on rollers with no resistance. I'm not sure. It certainly is the European "preferred" method of training for staying in a big group. IMHO motorpacing is dangerous (and technically illegal) since an obstacle in the road can be concealed by the vehicle so the rider does not see it in time to react. Drafting a powerful scooter is safer but still illegal in most municipalities.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply