Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hey ladies, I know this is sort sexist but...
Quote | Reply
I'm asking because (1) guys don't think they stink(I was in the airport last week doing the security shuffle and this guy in front of me put his shoes on the conveyor belt, looked at 'em for a sec, then picked 'em up and sniffed, I could just see the cloud above his head 'yeah, not bad') and (2) don't mind if all their clothes are on the floor: Two questions on gear as in shorts, shirts, etc: (1) How do you get the stink outta tech gear (okay, that's fair, yes I've already washed/dried the stuff) and (2) help, I'm buried in running shorts, biking shorts, tights, long sleeves, short sleeves, layers, shoes, helmets, aaahhh!

Jim_n_La
...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but only until it kills you - Cousin Elwood
Quote Reply
Re: Hey ladies, I know this is sort sexist but... [Jim_n_La] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well my fiance does the laundry ;) but throwing in some extra baking soda seams to help get rid of the odors better.

As for keeping all the clothes off the floor, we are both really neat and each have a workout gear dresser in our closet.

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Last edited by: kylie: Mar 11, 08 8:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We put a ton of hooks up in the closet- like 10 of them- so we can hang up the various shorts/shirts/hats/sports bras to dry out after wearing. It keeps things organized (previously, these things were hanging on doorknobs, bed posts, etc) and reduces the smell of things that are worn more than once before washing.

Training for: Barb's Race HIM 8.2.08
Quote Reply
Re: Hey ladies, I know this is sort sexist but... [quigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips. Baking soda, just sprinkle some in with the detergent? Hooks and a small dresser sound good, right now my old road bike and a wicker chair (think Casablanca, I'm having a hard time parting with it, it used to be cool) are providing the 'hooks', not a very tidy solution.

Jim_n_La
...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but only until it kills you - Cousin Elwood
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, back in the day when I did laundry it was about 2 tablespoons worth I think, but I just do a dash of it (don't actually measure or anything). And yup, just put it in with the detergent.

Oh, and about hanging things to dry out -- we do also hang clothes on the shower door to dry before they go in the wash bag - it also helps them not stink. But we are one-use wearers, so don't have the same buildup of used clothes. There is usually just 2 or 3 sets on the door drying.

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We get straight in the shower with nasty workout clothes on, rinse them, hang them to dry, and then put them in the dirty laundry. It helps to get the sweat out before it dries. Also, wash after every use, once it builds up it can be harder to actually get clean in one wash.

http://www.rdsupplier.com "making race directing easier"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I leave my clothes all over the floor. It drives my husband crazy. (2) wasn't a question but I think I have the same problem. It is not just the mens that are slobs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy OxyClean for your laundry. You just put a scoop of the powder in along with your detergent and your tech gear won't smell at all! Also, if you have stinky shoes fill a sink up with some warm soapy water and throw the oxyclean in when filling the sink and that will cut the smell.

As for your piles of gear, I'm a big fan of separate bins for stuff. Depending on your setup, if you have extra room in a corner of your closet, get the stable bins that are open in front and just divide it all up and put in in there. Put cycling shorts in one, running in another, etc. It helps keep it organized without having to deal with keeping everything neatly folded.

Oh and not that you asked, but if for some reason you leave stinky stuff in a room or a car and it really stinks the place up, just put a small bowl of white vinegar out and it totally neutralizes the smells...not that I know this from experience or anything ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the OxyClean. For all of the gear, I got some of those cheap wire shelves from Target and some boxes from IKEA that are a little larger than a running shoe box, (but you could use any number of containers for this) and sorted all of my various types of gear into the various boxes (cycling gear in one box, winter running gear in another, etc.) It makes it much faster to deal with/put away and keeps my drawers from being crammed full with stuff. The shelves don't take up a lot of space, and my husband's blood pressure is much lower since he doesn't have to look at my crap all over the floor and piles on any available surface of the room... ;-)

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pine Sol does the job for me. Either you love the smell or hate it.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought I'd give some oxyclean a try since it is getting warmer and hubby and I both are working out 2x a day coming up...seems to do the trick. I can't use fragrant stuff b/c of my sensitive skin and so far, I'm okay. I do us Baking Soda detergent too.

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
(2) help, I'm buried in running shorts, biking shorts, tights, long sleeves, short sleeves, layers, shoes, helmets, aaahhh!

I use 30-gallon plastic tubs to store most of my sports equipment.

For my in-season clean workout clothes, I have a tub on the floor of my closet. (Used workout clothes go in the laundry, so I don't need to store them.) My out-of-season clothes live in a tub in the basement. My non-clothing tri paraphanelia lives in a different tub in the basement. My electronics (HRM, MP3 player, extra bike computer, champion chip, etc...) live in next to my treadmill in a "train case" that goes with my hardsided luggage. (If you're too young to remember when those were commonly sold as part of a luggage set, search amazon.com for "train case" and you'll get a bunch of hits for makeup cases designed to look like them.)

I also have a tub for my karate and ballet gear. Since I'm not doing karate or ballet right now, it's in a back corner of the basement, but if I decide I want to return to either sport, I won't need to buy all new gear. (It's highly improbable I'll return to ballet, but a pair of slippers and a chiffon wraparound skirt don't take up much space.)

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Re: Hey ladies, I know this is sort sexist but... [southerngal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also wash the clothes off in the shower with me and hang them in the shower (out of sight!) ...the stench doesnt soak in them and you can even get an extra wearing out of them and they dont stink so bad. Sometimes I wil use a bit of the cheaper shampoo we have on the..lets say, smellier bits.
When people hang them to dry then wear them again, I guess that is OK as long as they arent running or riding with other people! P. U. Also, I don't think its too good for the skin.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey ladies, I know this is sort sexist but... [njtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would rather have a triathlete GF leave clothes on my floor anytime, than some silly lazy chick, lol
In Reply To:
I leave my clothes all over the floor. It drives my husband crazy. (2) wasn't a question but I think I have the same problem. It is not just the mens that are slobs.

2010: RR 100, BW, qualify for Kona at coz!!
Quote Reply