Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cookbook recommendation?
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

With all the recent discussion of food and recipes...I was reminded that I'm still on the search for a good cookbook!

I was a vegetarian for many years. So all the cookbooks on my shelf are veggie cookbooks.

What I'm looking for now are cookbooks that have lots of great recipes for fish and poultry. And that are very health-oriented (not too heavy/fatty).

My cooking/eating style is...Hmmm...Somewhere halfway in between the ultra-convenient, and the ultra-gourmet. I have great access to a huge variety of fresh veggies. So I'd love a book that has plenty of sophistication about combining fish or poultry with, say, kale or beets, or whatever veggies are in season. (Not just the typical American tomatoes and potatoes, and then even more tomatoes and potatoes.) On the other hand, the ultra gourmet stuff, a la Greens Restaurant Cookbook on the veggie side, is just way too time consuming right now and it does not pair well with Ironman training!

Looking forward to your suggestions....
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Cookbook recommendation? [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like the All-New Complete Cooking Light Cookbook. Lots of very healthful, light recipes using fresh, seasonal ingredients, and the recipes definitely have an eye toward quick preparation. I mean, I love the new(ish) Gourmet Cookbook too, but some of those recipes take hours to make.

Weight Watchers Great Cooking Every Day is another really good one -- developed with chefs from the Culinary Institute of America. There's a fantastic beet-fennel soup recipe in this one that I make allll the time.

You probably have the Moosewood cookbooks already, but Moosewood Low-Fat Favorites is a good one.

All of Cooking Light's recipes are on myrecipes.com now, along with some short feature articles (mixed in with recipes from Sunset, Southern Living, and some other mags). I've been getting a lot of recipes there lately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second Cooking Light. Sunset Magazine also has a few cookbooks out that are really nive. I seldom consult cookbooks anymore, I tend to search for recipes on epicurious.com

I found a good idea there to use the black lentils I bought over the weekend. Yum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All very good recommendations so far, and are pretty much my go-to's. However, for a single cookbook that can handle just about anything, I am a big fan of Mark Bittman's stuff. His minimalist approach that focuses on ingredients without a lot of fancy prep serves as a great basis to quick prep meals, and can be spun off tos omething fancier with very little effort. Lots of different cooking styles and techniques - and I love his sections that start with a basic rceipe, then have simple variations to change the directions. A solid reference book for any collection. Since I will only cook beef for the odd party where there are dedicated red-meat eaters, I like having somehting basic like this hanging around.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another recommendation for Cooking Light cookbooks. I have a ton of their Annuals (basically all of the recipes from a year's worth of magazines.) If you have a crockpot, I also recommend "Not your Mother's Slow Cooker" (or something very close to that) It has quite a few yummy recipes in it, and everything I've made has been delicious.

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently received Ellie Krieger's The Food You Crave. The recipes are delicious but not too time-consuming, perfect for Ironman training, and they are all quite healthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like using google to find interesting recipes - much more available then a single cookbook and it's free. For example, do a search as "halibut beet recipe" - this one brings up an interesting recipe. Or "salmon spinach recipe" brings up several good choices.

I like to do this when I have various things on hand and want to make something with them.

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Cookbook recommendation? [Dan3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, check out some of the cultural culinary cookbooks. I have a book on light Chinese cuisine that is really good.

Oh, and I fifth? sixth? the cooking light collections.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite cookbook is Weight Watchers Take-Out Tonight. It has recipes for various styles of food. My favorites are the Lo Mein recipe, a recipe for scallops and asparagus with sake, and a recipe for shrimp vindaloo (which isn't as firey hot as authentic vindaloo supposedly is).

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the great suggestions so far!

I decided I needed to just go to a real book store and get the book that most appealed to me.

I walked out with a used copy of, "Fresh & Fast" by Marie Simmons.

The recipes look simple, but fresh (not canned-tomato simple). And I love the layout. There is a chapter for fish and a chapter for poultry. I'll be looking forward to trying these out, one by one.

I wanted to mention that I tried Chris Carmichael's cookbook, but didn't care for either the fish or the poultry recipes in it. It did have a lot of healthy desserts that I liked (mostly yogurt-based).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not a cookbook, but check out eatingwell.com I have tried a lot of their recipies. They even have complete dinner menus-since I am not so inclined at putting things together-this site does it for you.

Jolene Wilkinson
Triathlon Coaching http://www.pacificfit.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, web based is americastestkitchen.com I love this site and have made many things from it. they also have equipment reviews, hot-to articles and videos.
Quote Reply