Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Specialized Saddle Size
Quote | Reply
My wife needs a new saddle, and she has tried the Specialized Jett saddle in size 143mm. It was comfortable, but she doesn't have the opportunity to try the other two sizes 130 and 155mm. Is there a way I can measure her to find which size is correct? The guys at our LBS don't really seem to know which would be best. Thanks for the help.
Last edited by: Fjellklatrer: Mar 9, 08 12:27
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Saddle Size [Fjellklatrer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you go to a Bike Shop that is a certified Specialized dealer they will have a measurement tool to determine the correct size. It's basically a piece of cardboard with squishy pads on it that you sit on.

Team Danbury Audi - Triplet Mommy!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Saddle Size [jellyfish1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a certified Specialized dealer and they also say that there is a tool, but they don't have it. Is there a way to measure her myself without ending up with either a saddle which is too small or a black eye?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Jett in the 143 size and am 5'5" normal build. If she felt comfortable with the 143 I would say go for it. Also, ask if your LBS has a return policy if she decides after a few rides that she does not like it.

Team Danbury Audi - Triplet Mommy!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on the 130 and love it. first saddle I've ridden over long distance that doesn't give me saddle sores.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still no idea about how to measure her to find the correct size without having the Specialized butt-o-meter?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No idea how to measure without the Specialized Assometer.

When I sat on the Assometer, it involved a formula that was printed on the back of it, so it wasn't JUST my measurement, but they also took into account that I ride a tri bike (aero). Different bikes = different sizes. Between my sit bones, their chart with the formula and the type of bike I ride, they came up with 143.

If your LBS is a Specialized dealer, I'd ask when they're getting the Assometer. It's literally a piece of cardboard with a gel on one side, a ruler at the bottom of that and a formula on the other side. Specialized should send it to them overnight -- to help them sell saddles. But that doesn't help you right now.

You could also consider buying the saddle directly from http://www.specialized.com Check their online return policy, but I believe they have a 30-day no hassle return policy and ship the second item (replacement item) free of charge if you don't like the size/color, etc. of what you just ordered.

BTW, I think I read or heard that 70% of the population fits a 143 Specialized saddle.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Saddle Size [eisenhund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is kind of what they say about nearly every one using 143mm. The thing with ordering it is that I live in Norway - that makes things a little bit trickier. Thanks for the help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This may sound weird but it's the best method I can think of without having the Specialized "Assometer". Have your wife sit on her hands and feel for her sit bones. Have her keep her right index finger where she feels her right sit bone and her left index finger where she feels her left sit bone, then have her rise slightly and you measure the distance between the two fingers that were where each sit bone was. That will give you an approximate measurement of the distance between those two bones, which is what you need to base the saddle width on. I'm a little between 130 and 143, but closer to 130 so I ride the 130 Toupe and Ruby and both are incredibly comfortable saddles.
Quote Reply