Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bummed about st. croix
Quote | Reply
I just took a peek at the list of athletes coming to St. Croix, and to my dismay, my age group is loaded. Lydia Delis-Schlossen, Donna Smyers, and laura Sophea, just to name the big guns. I think Laura may already have a slot for kona> I don't know about the other big guns. I guess there is still time for the lottery. Usually, this age group is rather thin, I guess the word is out, that St. Croix can be a soft place for older athletes looking for the golden ticket.
Quote Reply
Re: bummed about st. croix [timberdick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Laura won the AG in kona last year so she's set. The others don't have slots, I don't think. There are no easy races/AGs anymore!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: bummed about st. croix [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for your information on Laura. You are right there are no easy age group races. In the past, those cream of the crop women space themselves out a bit more, so they don't all looking for kona slots at the same race.
Last edited by: trailbait: Feb 26, 08 10:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah-hem, you need to be more respectful and at least spell their names properly.

Lydia Delis-Schlosser
Laura Sophiea

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Re: bummed about st. croix [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for catching my typing mistakes. Sorry if you thought my spelling their names wrong was disrespectful. Now that I'm over the shock of these three power houses coming to St. Criox, it's going to be a great race for this age group. And I'm excited to be healthy enough to include myself. So far, there is a record number of women signed up in this age group this year. I'm actually hoping to take their photos. It's great for St. Criox to have A listed women coming to compete. If anything, I was disrespecting myself and my skills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll love St. Croix no matter who's in the race. It's a great venue and a challenging course.

All of the age-groups are very tough and the roll down for the Kona spots does not go far. I've done the award ceremony for the past four years and the most I remember the Kona roll down going was 2 spots in the female 25-29 age group.

It is a great race and one of the BEST post races parties. I'll be announcing again this year, so see you in St. Croix. Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know how you feel...I discovered the former 70.3 WC in my AG is racing, and at the age of 41, she can run sub 7:00 miles off the bike (and she bikes as fast as I do...and swims faster!). The good part is she is a teammate, so hopefully we'll both have a great day and represent the MAO team well on the podium : ). I'm definitely going to make the best of it, race hard, and join Z for an incredible post-race party! I would recommend heading to Lubbock for another great event in June, but I'll warn you that Lydia will be there too (she's my old training buddy and my roommate at the races). Good luck to you!
Quote Reply
Re: bummed about st. croix [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're announcing! That is great news! We'll see you there. I spoke with Tereza Macel, an ITU professional triathlete who has also done St. Croix. I tried to match her up the climb in Torrey Pines yesterday and she quite easily walked away from me.

At the top, between gasps, we stopped long enough for me to ask her how difficult the climb up Torrey Pines was compared to the climb up St. Croix's "The Beast".
She told me the original beast was only successfully ascended by one woman, Erin Baker: No other woman had successfully made the ascent up the original Beast on their bike- they had to get off and walk.

The "new" Beast is a slightly more domesticated version of the original Beast. It is still, well, "beastly" difficult according to Tereza and much steeper and longer than the Torrey Pines ascent we did. This means it is roughly 6-8 times harder than Tiger's Back at Laguna Phuket, another brute of a climb in the sport.

Based on my performance up Torrey Pines yesterday and Tereza's report on The Beast I am now officially worried...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Last edited by: Tom Demerly: Feb 28, 08 12:37
Quote Reply
Re: bummed about st. croix [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There are no easy races/AGs anymore!

clm
I'll second that!! My only hope is to outlive everyone in my AG
Quote Reply