Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Would you/have you manipulated your period if due for a big race? [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI, the link I provided on my previous post also explains how Nuvaring is safe for continuous use. IMO, the best means of non-permanent birth control available.

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Would you/have you manipulated your period if due for a big race? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh, good question. Since I am not a dr., I am going to base it on my experience...the bc pill would not allow you to ovulate. Yes, that is correct then Tri3!

Jen Rulon
Chasing that Kona Dream since 1989
Quote Reply
Re: Would you/have you manipulated your period if due for a big race? [texasjen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone earlier mentioned endometrial ablation. Have to add, changed my life. Went from not being able to leave the house due to heavy bleeding one day a month to literally 'is that it?' type staining for 2 days. Maybe 3 tampons a month, and for races, with bike shorts, (sorry, sounds gross), I don't even bother.

Only for those done with having kids though.

Otherwise, if on BC, just take continuously, or if on triphasics, repeat week 3.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you/have you manipulated your period if due for a big race? [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The short answer is no. I used contraceptives that impacted my cycle for a year after cessation of use. Ever since, I have been averse to doing anything to interfere with hormones. If I have done many races while on my period, including two half IM's. In order to prepare, I would take my long rides/runs during my heaviest days, altering nutrition and hydration appropriately. On race day, I would make sure I had motrin and stuck to my nutrition plan. Oh, and I use these: http://www.softcup.com/.

-TMT
Quote Reply
Re: Would you/have you manipulated your period if due for a big race? [texasjen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Birth control pills do not necessarily stop ovulation. Usually that is the case, though. But they make the uterus hostile for implantation even if you do ovulate. I ovulate from time to time with BC (maybe 3 times in 15 years with birth control). I get pretty bad pains with ovulation so I know when it happens.

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Would you/have you manipulated your period if due for a big race? [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

I have since replaced the nuvaring with the Mirena.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you/have you manipulated your period if due for a big race? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2

It was great because you felt "normal" pretty much all day, every day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After nearly 4 years of excrutiating periods, I had an endometrial ablation in October 2009. After having my daughter my periods were heavy, had terrible cramps, and it felt like I was giving birth each month. The ablation completely ended my periods by essentialy burning the endometrial lining. Most insurance companies will do this for free, mine explained it is a type of steralization. It doesn't mess with hormones, but is expected to be a PERMANANT birth control method. I was extremely satisfied with the outcome of the "surgery" until July 2010 when I began having cramps again. After a visit with my Dr, I was informed that as a "healthy and young" woman, there was more of a chance for the cells to regenerate and I may have to have the procedure again. But to be able to live my life without pain and without concern of whether that time of the month will ruin a race or other competition or vacation is totally worth it!
Quote Reply
Re: Would you/have you manipulated your period if due for a big race? [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am admittedly far too lazy to read through a ton of answers but here is my opinion (feel free to blow through it)...

Progesterone levels and estrogen levels drop when you have a period. For that reason, most women will notice that their performance is BETTER when they are on their period because estrogen levels are lower and androgen levels are actually felt to be higher.

In the premenstrual phase, the progesterone and estrogen are at their highest levels and contribute to the bloat, moodiness, lethargy and dead legs feeling.

I have noticed that ALL of my PR's are the week of or right after a cycle would be (I had an endometrial ablation after my third child so I don't have the bleeding but I still ovulate, etc).

Short story is that your period (aside from being a mess if you are heavy bleeding) is actually a good thing from the anecdotal info.

Link here with lots of information....I think an earlier poster referenced part of it.
http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/volk/planet-estrogen-03.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Would you/have you manipulated your period if due for a big race? [Allie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allie, the link you referenced didn't work but I am really curious about this topic. It seems like women should be planning their training and racing around their cycles if this is true. I was thinking of this while running today because last week, premenstrual, I was lagging around 9 minute miles but today (post) 8:30s felt like a nice cruise and I felt great the entire run. Made me wonder... anyway!

Does anyone have experience with planning their training and racing around their cycle?

Quote Reply
Re: Would you/have you manipulated your period if due for a big race? [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely...especially when trying to PR!! It can definitely mess with you on race day...so if you're on the pill you can play around it with it more to be in your advantage on race day!

http://www.MyRaceRagz.com

"What will you wear on your next race day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep - I have done that. Unfortunately I no longer can due to having to quit using the pill. Now I just hope I do not start leading up to a race.
Quote Reply

Prev Next