Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Global Warming discussion
Quote | Reply
I realise that this is short notice, but the BBC is having a live session on Global Warming where you can put your questions to World Bank's chief scientist, Robert Watson, and to Sir John Houghton, former head of the UK Meteorological Office, in a LIVE interactive forum at 1400GMT/1500BST

I can't link to it directly but it is on the front page of the BBC News Site: http://news.bbc.co.uk/

The BBC is pretty balanced so questions from Warming Sceptics will get a hearing I am sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Global Warming discussion [davet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What happened to global warming in Michigan? The high was about 65 degrees yesterday. At the end of July. It is a lowest high ever for July 27. We have also had some record lows in the low 50s recently. I had to break out of the leg warmers and tights again for my morning rides the last week or so.
Quote Reply
Re: Global Warming discussion [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<What happened to global warming in Michigan? The high was about 65 degrees yesterday. At the end of July. It is a lowest high ever for July 27. We have also had some record lows in the low 50s recently. I had to break out of the leg warmers and tights again for my morning rides the last week or so.>>

Duh, didn't you see "The Day After Tomorrow?" Global warming CAUSES global cooling. Painfully obvious to anybody who give a hoot about the environment. Sheesh.

Brett
Quote Reply
Re: Global Warming discussion [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good thing Michigan is a long way from the Atlantic Ocean. Or will there be tidal waves on the Great Lakes from flash freezing as well?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know but you had better set fire to a half-dozen or so SUV's to protest the environmental destruction that they cause. That'll teach 'em!

Brett

"Du or Du not-there is no Tri" - Yoda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looked to be headed there this fall with warmer temps, I see everything is back to (cold) normal.

-SD
Quote Reply
Re: Global Warming discussion [davet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess my problem with human caused global warming has to do with the fact that the industrial age has only been around about what
150 years. I just find it rather difficult to believe that in that short amount of time we have caused such far reaching effects.
Quote Reply
Re: Global Warming discussion [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I guess my problem with human caused global warming has to do with the fact that the industrial age has only been around about what
150 years. I just find it rather difficult to believe that in that short amount of time we have caused such far reaching effects.

and don't forget - Global warming happened before (Jurassic age) - then was hit by Global cooling (Ice age) - warmed back up all by itself -- all with out Human or industial effects.

I do believe that we are in a warming period -- I also believe it is not human caused.

With that said -- I still think humans need to stop polluting the planet.

Basically -- we need to stop taking a Sh*t where we are eating and sleeping.
Quote Reply
Re: Global Warming discussion [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well said...oops, off to the bathroom!
Quote Reply
Re: Global Warming discussion [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

and don't forget - Global warming happened before (Jurassic age) - then was hit by Global cooling (Ice age) - warmed back up all by itself -- all with out Human or industial effects.

I do believe that we are in a warming period -- I also believe it is not human caused.
Human activity has affected the climate since well before the Industrial Age.

"Shafts of ancient ice pulled from Antarctica's frozen depths show that for at least 650,000 years three important heat-trapping greenhouse gases never reached recent atmospheric levels caused by human activities, scientists are reporting today.[/url]

The measured gases were carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide. Concentrations have risen over the last several centuries at a pace far beyond that seen before humans began intensively clearing forests and burning coal, oil and other fossil fuels."

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Global Warming discussion [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Human activity has affected the climate since well before the Industrial Age.

"Shafts of ancient ice pulled from Antarctica's frozen depths show that for at least 650,000 years three important heat-trapping greenhouse gases never reached recent atmospheric levels caused by human activities, scientists are reporting today.

The measured gases were carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide. Concentrations have risen over the last several centuries at a pace far beyond that seen before humans began intensively clearing forests and burning coal, oil and other fossil fuels."

How did we get out of the last ice age? Mastadon activity?
Quote Reply
Re: Global Warming discussion [Sid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Must have been the cavemen's campfires.
Quote Reply
Re: Global Warming discussion [Sid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dinosaur farts...
Quote Reply