Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

You can take this job and shove it!!!
Quote | Reply
I can't imagine that anyone in the world will be interested in reading this, so naturally I thought of Tibb's Lavender room the ideal forum for my blog-like indulgence.

Today the sun is just a little bit brighter. The flowers smell just a little bit more fragrant. The birds and the bees are getting it on with a wee bit more funky abandon than usual. Yes, you've guessed it...today is the day I am quitting my job. I have been working a corporate (VERY corporate) cubicle caged, suit and tie wearing, life draining soul sucking job forevor. A few months ago, with my life savings, I bought two franchise retail stores that I have also been running after my day job. Needless to say, my anxiety level towards beng IM ready for IMFL has been no small concern of mine.

Today I am trimming the fat and giving up the corporate gig, and working part\full time at my stores. I'm sure my employees will be terrified at the prospect, but this gives me pretty much every day until noon (or whenever I want - oh happy thought:) to train. Happy days are here again!!
Quote Reply
Re: You can take this job and shove it!!! [stl_triness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow - you are a brave one! You have my admiration and best wishes for success.

How about a shameless plug for the stores - maybe Slowtwtich can send some business you way!!

Good luck,
Nick

------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://pavlov.psyc.queensu.ca/~psyc382/rockgold.html
(Norman Rockwell's "Do Unto Others")
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you elaborate a little more on how you did it, just to give the cube farmers a little hope?

Locked in Dilberville

Relax2dmax

"Just remember there is only 2 letters difference between STUD and STUPID." Heard on the course of the 1998 Lost Boys Ultramarathon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I have your stapler? ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: You can take this job and shove it!!! [martyg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only if it's red. Damn that's my favorite movie.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What type of stores?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big, brave & bold move!

I second goobie's sentiments: best wishes for success. Keep us posted.
Quote Reply
Re: You can take this job and shove it!!! [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had no intention of going into this many details. I swear I feel like a weasel talking about myself for so many paragraphs but since you asked....

I'm not slick enough to get away with anyting tri related. They are custom frame\art galleries. Apparently there is a market for that kind of stuff and the margins are very attractive for an owner. Who knew?

I did it probably the same way most people would. In January, in a scene straight out of Office Space, I had three different bosses crammed into a tiny conference room deliver a very critical written performance correction notice, or some jargon close to that effect, about my bungling of the TPS reports. One of them actually told me I should do some soul searching and maybe do something else because he didn't see our relationship ending on a positive note. I honestly thought I was going to get axed that week! But then the status quo returned, and it was if nothing ever happened. I'm 29 and after doing computer stuff for the last 10 years I didn't want to trade one corpprate job for another. I took his advice and formed encorporated myself, raised capital, and researched businesses for sale in my city. I found two art galleries\ frame stores for sale by a seller that I personally knew. Both stores have a 25 year history so I felt the location was solid, but the previous owner was absentee and the stores were 25 years outdated. I was able to buy them low and remodel. They looked like the Velvet Room, 70's style. I added new floors, walls, lights, fixtures, art. I figured they were running themselves for so long without active ownership that as long as I didn't do anything to fuck them up they would at least keep sales steady.

So that's it....and yes you can have the stapler. I just upgraded to an industrial sized, air compressor driven, foot pedal triggered motherfucker of a stapler. And it's red!
Last edited by: stl_triness: Jul 27, 04 19:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't forget to kill the printer on your way out the door.

and make sure your employees wear enough flair.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: You can take this job and shove it!!! [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.bullshitjob.com/officespace/