Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hed Alps and Zipp 404
Quote | Reply
I have narrowed my wheel choice down to the Hed Alps and Zipp 404 clincher, the weight and aero profile look similar just curious how Zipp charges $300 more? Anyone with experience with these wheels? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Alps and Zipp 404 [mb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you might want to check out some of the reviews of the Zipp clincher (303 & 404, they use the same process) on www.roadbikereview.com many people have reported lamination problems. Also, check out the weight difference between the zipp clincher and tubulars. These 2 issues have convinced me that when I get some high-zoot racing wheels, I'll get zipp tubies.

if you have to have clinchers, I guess I'd get the Alps, but if you're going to be racing on hills, I'd question why you'd spend that much money on wheels that weigh that much. On the other hand, Empfield seems to really like the alps and he's been known to train in the hills a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are looking for a good deal on some Alps email me. I have a pair of 650 tubs 1 year old for sale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a lot of expereince with both wheels and both are very good (we sell both). Our experience with the two is that the price does reflect their overall quality and durability. The new Zipp hubs may be the current industry standard- they are excellent. The Hed wheel is the best choice if you want to save a few bucks. If you have it to spend, buy the Zipps, if not, you'll be pleased with the Hed wheels.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Alps and Zipp 404 [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am also in the same position of strongly considering the Hed Alps. I have not had an opportunity to look at an actual pair. But I think I remember reading either in a earlier thread for this forum or else where that, there have been problems with the spokes, and that they go out of true easily because they go through the carbon, where as the Zipp 404's ends at the carbon.

I am looking for a great racing set of wheels which will handle the mountains at IM LP as well as perform well in the winds at IM HI.

Much thanks,

-Joe
Quote Reply