Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

race clothing
Quote | Reply
so for long distance races, how many of you out there do full changes of clothing--i.e. put on regular biking shorts after the swim, then running shorts, etc....? i have done an ironman in regular tri shorts and didn't feel uncomfortable, but was thinking of doing full changes for my ironman distance this summer. the transitions might be slightly slower, but i am not going to win anything and i think i could make up time being more comfortable(more on the bike than run). any opinions?

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Re: race clothing [mclamb6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Myself, I CANNOT run in regular padded bike shorts. And when I did race tri's, tri shorts were a rarity. These days, I need a layer on my legs for the run (more chafing issues with bigger thighs), so I'd use unpadded bike shorts. But for something as long as an IM, I'd say make the full change. It's a long enough day without having to deal with discomfort issues due to padding or lack thereof.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW I'm going to go with the full change, but IMFL will be my first. I was actually going to post the same question. Hope to hear from some more seasoned folks.

Marcel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest wearing on the IM run whatever you wear on your 20 milers in training. I made the mistake of changing into running shorts (splits) from my Desoto tri shorts. I had done all my long runs in the tri shorts. The racing splits ended up chafing my legs in the IM run. Stupid, stupid.

"Dance with who brung ya."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For IM I found that cycling in my proven friends PI Microsensor shorts and running in Desoto Power Tri shorts worked great, very comfortable. Comfort=Speed. I wore a Desoto top. As many have suggested make sure you do long runs and rides to check out the clothing. This is also true for wetsuits. I did some half IMs with no chaffing, but after a 2 mi. swim I had a hot spot on my neck, so race day I put lots of lub on the neck and made out OK...still slow but not due to equipt. related discomfort.

ted
Quote Reply