Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can I cut the beam???
Quote | Reply
I think there was a thread on this a few months ago, but I can't find it now so please indulge the question again. Can I cut the extra few inches off of my Softride Rocket TT, Carbon Fiber beam? Is this a "do it yourself" operation, or is there some special equipment needed for cutting the carbon?

I wouldn't normally worry about it, but the drink system I want to use mounts behind my seat and I fear that the extra beam is going to interfere with the proper positioning of it.

PS. I will have a fit check from someone I trust beforehand to ensure that I won't need that part of the beam later and I'm not super concerned about resale value as I intend to keep this bike for some time.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I cut the beam??? [Barry K.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cut the remaining several inches off of my Softride Powerwing a few years ago with no long term negatives - other than when I went to outfit it for my wife after I got a new Calfee - it was too short!

Used a bandsaw but I don't think it really matters.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I cut the beam??? [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Measure twice- cut once. Use the appropriate carbon fiber hacksaw blade from your local hardware or Home Depot if you live in the U.S. It voids your warranty on the beam. I did it to mine. Zero problems. Proceed with extreme cuation.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Thank you both n/m [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Can I cut the beam??? [Barry K.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
recommended by Softride to do so, after call to Softride support. I cut 2+ inches from my Rocket TT beam.

ShaRRky
Quote Reply
Re: Can I cut the beam??? [TRex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
measure then tape around the beam so you have an outline of where you want to cut and it prevents the carbon fibers from shredding.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply