Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

sti & bar end shifters... some pros do it...
Quote | Reply
Look at Nico Mattan set up during the Paris Nice prologue (that he won yesterday). We disucssed recently the "strange" idea of keeping sti shifters while installing bar end ones...

http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/030309/74/333s0.html
Quote Reply
Re: sti & bar end shifters... some pros do it... [richard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks to me that he is using bar end shifters with Record carbon brake levers (that don't have ergo shifters). I think there should be more cables around if he was using ergo levers + bar end shifters...
Quote Reply
Re: sti & bar end shifters... some pros do it... [richard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, confirmed: Those are Campagnolo Record Carbon brake levers with Speed TH bar-end shifters (I think they still call the bar-end shifters Speed TH).

Another thing worth noting is that some integrated aero bar systems ARE designed with a lot of curve in the cowhorn/bullhorn/base bar grip position to facilitate standard STi/Ergopower or road bike brake levers. ITM makes an integrated aerobar like that. You would want to use a standard road style brake lever with those unless you cut the base bar grip section way down to make it smaller. Some are so big you can actually ride on the lever "hhods" or in the "hooks" of the base bar itself.

Another thing worth noting is: Just becasue you see a pro doing it doesn't mean it is technically correct/safe/beneficial or a good idea. Remember Raimondas Rumsas base bars slipping down in a Tour de France time trial last year? It probably cost him 2nd place. Remember Laurant Jalabert trying to get a wheel change on his "look" Cervelo P3 during the time trial? The mechanic didn't know how to operate a rear-facing dropout (or hadn't practiced before the stage). It cost Ja-Ja tons of time becasue the mechanic wasn't thorough in his preparation. That's just two examples.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: sti & bar end shifters... some pros do it... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bunnyman has experience with the said ITM bars (Dual F1) and Campy non-ergo brake levers (as I liked the carbon levers). I would not recommend cutting the base bar portion as 188's don't fit in really well. One also has to cut out a section of the top of the hook, as the Campy cable routing does not allow a bar end plug to go in the supplied hole for the cable. Also, one has to modify the bar end plug for the cable. bar end shifters work okay as long as you remove one of the little wedges on the shifter. The inside diameter is incredibly small on the ITMs (and I have also had the original Duals, ala Rominger) for some reason.

I had to go through all of this work as I saw these exact bars and levers on the old Lotto team bikes. This was not easy, and I will be using these ITMs for many, many years as a result.

In the end, Shimano STI is probably the easiest thing to use on the ITM Dual aerobars.
Quote Reply