Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When is a disk wheel right?
Quote | Reply
I have been looking at the Renn disk but being in the back to middle of the pack I'm wondering if there is any advantage to having a disk, are disk for those winning the age group awards? Also I race 3 to 4 times a year up to half ironman distance. Thanks for the feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: When is a disk wheel right? [mb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First off, let me say I have no scientific, aerodynamic basis for this opinion. I can site some anecdotal evidence: Every pro in contention in a time trial in The Tour uses a disk rear almost regardless of weather conditions.

I use a disk for nearly every race where it is allowed. I did not use one at Ironman Canada but probably should have. I did not use one at Alcatraz where I think it may not have made much difference for a MOP'er like me. Some pros did though.

I won three state time trail championships in widely varying wind and weather conditions. All on disk wheels. My recommendation is to race on it on all but the most mountainous courses and in the worst weather.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A disc will make you faster, period. Along with other areas of aero improvement, you could look at a significant decrease in your time and an increase in your placings. Don't let your MOP-Laterne Rouge status stop you from getting a disc wheel.

Frank will make you a fine wheel. I have been using his products since late 2001 and I am extremely satisfied, even with the fact that I could buy much more expensive wheels. This wheel makes the over-priced competition seem that- overpriced.

Tell him bunnyman sent you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I felt this way too about the disc. I bought one at a great price after my LBS talked me into it. I felt "not worthy" to use it since I also MOP. I'm selling it right now after one season since I already have a Zipp 404 rear. However, I am now reconsidering keeping it or selling it for a Renn. After IMNZ, I saw many MOPers with discs.

Just do it!
Quote Reply