Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

rumor-im cali bike course closed?
Quote | Reply
i have heard the rumor that the bike portion of ironman cali will not be used if we go to war because there is no alternative to the base. curious if anybody knows if there is any truth to this.
Quote Reply
Re: rumor-im cali bike course closed? [redneck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as I know this has been addressed and it was announced that the race will proceed as planned. Of course I can't find that announcement, but I think this is a baseless rumor.
Quote Reply
Re: rumor-im cali bike course closed? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank u sir-i am not doing it but those here who r have been talking about this
Quote Reply
Re: rumor-im cali bike course closed? [redneck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This probably is a baseless rumor....but it would not suprise me at all. If we go to war with Iraq, we will see a significant tightening of security in this country. I'd give this race a 50/50 shot at the race going off if it happens. Think about it....a ton of civilians (volunteers and racers) on a government base. In some ways I'm suprised they haven't shut it down already. I'm registered and very much hope to be racing on April 4th.
Quote Reply
Re: rumor-im cali bike course closed? [chrismaginn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Better plan on racing on April 5th. :) I've been thinking it will feel a little odd to be racing on the base having fun while most of the Marines are in the middle east. If the war really is on during the race, it will really feel wrong.

paul
Quote Reply
Re: rumor-im cali bike course closed? [paul k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will feel a bit odd racing if there is a war going on. I guess we just have to hope for the best.

From some guy on the IM CA forum:

"I have a friend who is on the volunteer commitee for the race. According to the Base, the course will not be closed for the race even if we do go to war. The only way it will possibly be closed is if we happen to declare war on the day before or the day of. Keep you fingers crossed, and hope we resolve this thing another way. In the mean time, train hard.. 33 days to go. "
Quote Reply