Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by Tom Demerly
Re: The Christian thing... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I agree 100%. I don't think the point is any of the differences; but, rather the discussions as a "community" that give us all an opportunity for inner growth, and at the same time support from others. Wow! Isn't that what any "group" is all about!?

I join Tom in thanking all, including, but not limited to, Alison who somehow got this whole topic kicked off.

Good Job!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: The Christian thing... [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I am not christian, though I was baptized. I am not sure, if I have any religion in particular but
having people getting along.

so no matter what gets you there, you are on the right track.

Peace to all :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I'm glad I got to be part of the discussion as well. I wanted to thank david and ktalon for sharing their experience. If, as they imply, Christianity is at a point where it is inclusive of other faiths, or non-faiths, than I couldn't be happier.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Re: The Christian thing... [ashayk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I wanted to thank david and ktalon for sharing their experience. If, as they imply, Christianity is at a point where it is inclusive of other faiths, or non-faiths, than I couldn't be happier."

It could be that their views on Chistianity are all inclusive. However, as the previous thread shows clearly not all views are the same, even among Christians.

I have tried to stay out of this topic as I don't think it really belongs in this forum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What makes this forum great is the willingness of people to share information, expertise and help. These are all qualities that most Christians would easily agree are Christian values. Christians represent a broad spectrum of views and opinions on what it is to be a Christian. Many of us were brought up in a Christian belief system that didn't match the value systems for our family, friends, school, etc. I know many people who just gave up on religion because of these differences. I to have struggled through a maturation of my beliefs and I call myself a Christian. In the struggle I discovered the richness of my faith. I am very liberal Christian. For me there is no conflict what so ever with Triathlons. Both are life style choices and they do not conflict but are the fabric of who I am. For me it is living with intregrity. Training & participating in sports is a spiritual event not to be confused with a religious event.

Quote:
"Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit."

Saddlesore Wink

Quote Reply
Re: The Christian thing... [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I have tried to stay out of this topic as I don't think it really belongs in this forum.

Why? These have become some of the most popular threads ever (PC fights excluded of course:-)). Doesn't that by default show a "fit?" Isn't that what triathlon is all about is personal betterment? Doesn't this topic then fit? Seems to me that is is dead center in line and does fit.

Mind, body, and soul!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by tri_db [ In reply to ]
Re: The Christian thing... [tri_db] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, you bring a lot of good will to the forum, trying to be helpful, share your knowledge, etc and you've helped make the forum what it is. Glad you feel like its returning to you. Good on yu mate! Daniel, I share some of your concern and assessment. I'll refrain as well. Did you know Suzy... The Rock On sign off had me wondering.
Last edited by: Chappy: Mar 6, 03 11:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri2HaveFun-

Given the the conversation centered on the balance between training and religious pursuits, I think that it definitely belonged on this forum. Remember, the nice thing about a forum is that you don't have to read any topics in which you aren't interested.

Litherland
Quote Reply
Re: The Christian thing... [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Isn't that what triathlon is all about is personal betterment? Doesn't this topic then fit? Seems to me that is is dead center in line and does fit."

Sorry, I don't see it that way. I see triathlon more as a physical issue and religion as a spiritual issue. To me they are completely separate things. I look to forums such as this for advice on issues related to the sport, not for spiritual guidance. IMO there are more appropriate forums for such guidance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being the original poster for "Question for Christian triathletes", Ill explain why I posted (although knowing that an explanation isnt necessary). That question has been something I have pondered for a while. Living in NYC, I dont know many triathletes, let alone any who are solid christians. I have talked with christian friends (nontriathletes/ or even athletes for that matter) about it, but I have found they cant relate since they dont do the sport. Since this is a triathlon forum, and after Alisons post I found that there was a strong group of believers who are triathletes, I decided to ask them. Maybe triathlon is just a physical pursuit for you, but for me there are strong mental, emotional, and spiritual/religious aspects as well. christianity is a part of my triathlon existence, as much as my LT is, or mental state of mind. they cant be separated (Apparantly Im not the only one who has this view). And as such, the forum served its purpose when I had a question
Quote Reply
Re: The Christian thing... [SByers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
but for me there are strong mental, emotional, and spiritual/religious aspects as well. christianity is a part of my triathlon existence, as much as my LT is, or mental state of mind. they cant be separated (Apparantly Im not the only one who has this view). And as such, the forum served its purpose when I had a question

Well stated. For each individual it is all interconnected....It can't be separated because that's what makes us what we are. Moreover, for all of us, as humans, on this board and ouside, we are all interconnected. I think these threads have proved that, and I appreciate the connection.

david
Last edited by: david: Mar 7, 03 4:41
Quote Reply
Re: The Christian thing... [SByers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not respond to your original post, but felt as a christian triathlete of a few verses from the Bible that might offer the best answer.

As Christians, we are instructed by Christ to Daily Die to Self..."in Christ Jesus our Lord i die daily (1 Cor. 15:31) Much easier said than done.

Also we are instructed to be obedient to Christ "The he said to them all: If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me" (Luke 9:23)

God wants us to enjoy life, but more importantly he wants Christians to live for Him. If you can find a balance that honors God and allows you to pursue your triathlon goals, you are way ahead of the game. A balance that I have not been able to find.

I think it is important to impact your world for Christ while your are riding,running or swimming. "Day after day...they never stopped teaching and proclaiming the good news that is Jesus Christ" (Acts5:42) This does not mean as some would say that we should try to convert people. But it is our obligation as Christians to share what Christ is doing in our lives.

I do not pretend to put these principles into practice all the time or even most of the time, but it is what I aspire to. Thank you for your question. We are very lucky to have a forum where we can exchange ideas and beliefs.
Last edited by: Robert S: Mar 6, 03 15:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What has really impressed me is that a conversation like this can even take place on an anonymous internet board. Christians and non-Christians alike have expressed many different views without deginerating into the kind of nastiness I had expected.

I don't even know you people, but I think I like you quite a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
    A couple of verses that are universally applicable here to start off the morning:

1. Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

Two are better than one, because they have good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow; but woe to him who falls when he is alone and has not another to lift him.

2. Proverbs 27:17

As Iron sharpens Iron, So one man sharpens another.

3. Psalms 1:3

He is like a tree planted by the streams of water, that yields fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does he prospers.

Message: When we do what's right it makes us STRONG, and we make others STRONG too.

I need all of you, and you have made me better and stronger....as a triathlete and as a person (I guess they can be the same thing).

Have a good day!

david
Last edited by: david: Mar 7, 03 7:22
Quote Reply